Should we trade????

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Should we trade????

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:31 am

Correct.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:10 am

I'm with the poster who said to trade Letang and Orpik before Niskanen. How much better than Niskanen is Letang?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:13 am

I'd say about four times better.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:27 am

How much better than Niskanen is Orpik?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 am

Better at what?

Better with which partners?

How do you measure "better"?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:How do you avoid injuries? By not playing?

By not playing wiffle ball on ice skates for starters :pop:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Maybe they shouldn't eat with forks and knives either.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scals37 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:30 pm

iceolater wrote:Yes, we shouldn't wait around until the trading deadline because the asking price and value in trade is getting much higher then it would be at this stage of the season. As to who should be on the block?

1. Brooks Orpik - Absolutely does nothing to help this team. He is past his prime when he would hit, clear the crease and meet on coming rushes at the blue line like Scott Stevens did with the Devils. Now he can't take a pass, (has to stop it, settle it down 2 second delay then react), hits but with not much authority or impact, and backs in as the oncoming rush is approaching him. (Look at Colorado ONLY goal..Orpik backing up and blocks Fleury's vision.) Sure he may be a great guy but this is a business and this team is loaded with young talent waiting to be called up.

2. Letang: Sorry folks, the guy still wants to be an offensive player and leaves his partner and Fleury out to dry. He is out of position, turns the puck over too much and Oli Maata is learning the bad habbits (Going high in the defensive zone while the other team scores on Fleury.) Letang is a $igned lock for 8yrs and his return would warrant more value NOW then it would if it is done at trading deadline. I don't see why Maata can't go to the side on the powerplay and do the same thing Letang is doing now. Trade off is Maata is cheaper and is talented and we can get more scoring winger.

3. James Neal: Yea, hate to say it but Nealers since his concussion is becoming somewhat of a "China Doll". Injuries are starting to add up for Neal and we need someone who can play wing, score and avoid injuries. Shame because, I like Neal when he is healthy. Great shot, but he like Letang, is Signed and proven that he can score, but we need someone who is going to be there on the line with Malkin who we are paying top $$$$. Malkin can't be playing on lines where it is "Let's insert this Winger here and then try this one." Neal hasn't been healthy the past few years and in this business, we need him to be.

4. Dupree: Duper is one I like as well because you get a good solid short hand role player and he plays on the top line. Not too mention, He is signed too. Easy to dangle him out there and package maybe him and Letang and get a strong return. Duper this year hasn't done much on Sids line and I am starting to doubt if he is a solid #1 line winger. We could easily get another top winger, (Yes SID will have to adjust) and with those 2 in a package deal, we could get some solid players in return.

Thought on Goalie:
Shero needs to sign a solid back up goalie: Not sure if Zatkoff (spelling) is the answer but I thought he did play better in game 2. However, if MAF goes down , we are in trouble. I am not sold on Zatkoff like I was with Volkoun. And with as much money as Shero has invested in this team, Goal could be an issue to watch out for. I have noticed a lot more interference within in the crease with bodies hitting into MAF. Just saying, that I am not comfortable with our Goalie situation if MAF goes down.

The Pens started out the season great, but since Letang's return, the defense is starting to run around and we are playing the same type of hockey that got us in to trouble in the playoffs. We can't continue to play a great 1st period, a lack lust 2nd period and then because of a defensive lapse or a give away at center ice, we loose it in the 3rd. Shades of last year starting to resurface its ugly head.

Shero with the advantage of having so many players under solid contracts, maybe making calls now. Don't be surprised if within a few weeks, some of this team is traded . I doubt Mario & Co. will allow this to go on when you can feel the same thing happening now, that happened at the end of last season in the playoffs.

This post reeks of "What have you done for me lately?"

You don't up and unload your no. 1 defenseman because he's had a pair of shaky games after returning from injury. Wait until his timing and game-legs are back to pass judgment.

Trade Neal and Dupuis?? Pretty sure Neal's injury is unrelated to his concussion last year, and if we were to start dealing all the players that had a concussion in the past we'd be having a hard time filling out a roster. Both of these players are integral pieces on the lines they play on, Crosby and Malkin would not benefit from losing them. Also, Dupuis is basically our best PKer right now
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:31 pm

The only guys on the d corps now that are off the market for me are Martin and Maatta.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Jim wrote:How much better than Niskanen is Orpik?

Niskanen is twice as good as Orpik
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:45 pm

scals37 wrote:
iceolater wrote:Yes, we shouldn't wait around until the trading deadline because the asking price and value in trade is getting much higher then it would be at this stage of the season. As to who should be on the block?

1. Brooks Orpik - Absolutely does nothing to help this team. He is past his prime when he would hit, clear the crease and meet on coming rushes at the blue line like Scott Stevens did with the Devils. Now he can't take a pass, (has to stop it, settle it down 2 second delay then react), hits but with not much authority or impact, and backs in as the oncoming rush is approaching him. (Look at Colorado ONLY goal..Orpik backing up and blocks Fleury's vision.) Sure he may be a great guy but this is a business and this team is loaded with young talent waiting to be called up.

2. Letang: Sorry folks, the guy still wants to be an offensive player and leaves his partner and Fleury out to dry. He is out of position, turns the puck over too much and Oli Maata is learning the bad habbits (Going high in the defensive zone while the other team scores on Fleury.) Letang is a $igned lock for 8yrs and his return would warrant more value NOW then it would if it is done at trading deadline. I don't see why Maata can't go to the side on the powerplay and do the same thing Letang is doing now. Trade off is Maata is cheaper and is talented and we can get more scoring winger.

3. James Neal: Yea, hate to say it but Nealers since his concussion is becoming somewhat of a "China Doll". Injuries are starting to add up for Neal and we need someone who can play wing, score and avoid injuries. Shame because, I like Neal when he is healthy. Great shot, but he like Letang, is Signed and proven that he can score, but we need someone who is going to be there on the line with Malkin who we are paying top $$$$. Malkin can't be playing on lines where it is "Let's insert this Winger here and then try this one." Neal hasn't been healthy the past few years and in this business, we need him to be.

4. Dupree: Duper is one I like as well because you get a good solid short hand role player and he plays on the top line. Not too mention, He is signed too. Easy to dangle him out there and package maybe him and Letang and get a strong return. Duper this year hasn't done much on Sids line and I am starting to doubt if he is a solid #1 line winger. We could easily get another top winger, (Yes SID will have to adjust) and with those 2 in a package deal, we could get some solid players in return.

Thought on Goalie:
Shero needs to sign a solid back up goalie: Not sure if Zatkoff (spelling) is the answer but I thought he did play better in game 2. However, if MAF goes down , we are in trouble. I am not sold on Zatkoff like I was with Volkoun. And with as much money as Shero has invested in this team, Goal could be an issue to watch out for. I have noticed a lot more interference within in the crease with bodies hitting into MAF. Just saying, that I am not comfortable with our Goalie situation if MAF goes down.

The Pens started out the season great, but since Letang's return, the defense is starting to run around and we are playing the same type of hockey that got us in to trouble in the playoffs. We can't continue to play a great 1st period, a lack lust 2nd period and then because of a defensive lapse or a give away at center ice, we loose it in the 3rd. Shades of last year starting to resurface its ugly head.

Shero with the advantage of having so many players under solid contracts, maybe making calls now. Don't be surprised if within a few weeks, some of this team is traded . I doubt Mario & Co. will allow this to go on when you can feel the same thing happening now, that happened at the end of last season in the playoffs.

This post reeks of "What have you done for me lately?"

You don't up and unload your no. 1 defenseman because he's had a pair of shaky games after returning from injury. Wait until his timing and game-legs are back to pass judgment.

Trade Neal and Dupuis?? Pretty sure Neal's injury is unrelated to his concussion last year, and if we were to start dealing all the players that had a concussion in the past we'd be having a hard time filling out a roster. Both of these players are integral pieces on the lines they play on, Crosby and Malkin would not benefit from losing them. Also, Dupuis is basically our best PKer right now

Well crosby and malkin wouldnt matter, because the pens would be unloading all players that have had concussions.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby iceolater on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:13 pm

The only guys on the d corps now that are off the market for me are Martin and Maatta.

I agree. Something has to be done with this group. Think Shero signed Letang last year so that he is easy trade bait for this year being that he is signed. The ordeal about the teams he would or wouldn't agree to a trade with is writing on the wall. For those who think Letang is our best defensemen, then we are in trouble. Yeah, he can score but he is a liability that causes us too many goals.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:40 pm

The trade Letang sentiment is something to behold. He's certainly worth the $3.5m we're paying him right now.

If you guys want to gripe about him next season (even if it is after only 2 games) then, okay, bewilderers will be bewildering.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:51 pm

letang isn't going anywhere.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:32 pm

iceolater wrote:

I agree. Something has to be done with this group. Think Shero signed Letang last year so that he is easy trade bait for this year being that he is signed. The ordeal about the teams he would or wouldn't agree to a trade with is writing on the wall. For those who think Letang is our best defensemen, then we are in trouble. Yeah, he can score but he is a liability that causes us too many goals.

Wasn't that a sticking point with Letang and the NHLPA in general? Signing extensions but trading before the no trade clause parts of new deal kicks in?

Not that I am advocating trading him but something overall needs done for a realistic shot at the cup.

I get when folks say anyone looking for a trade right now is overreacting. It's early and we have two or three top 9 guys injured. But I think a lot of fans are just seeing the same mistakes over and over even this early on. Poor defensive coverage, inability to get much if anything beyond pretty goals, defenses giving us all the shots we want from the circles and out.

I also don't want to underestimate the issue right now of not having major contributors up front with entry level deals. If Ray is shopping someone there is an extra component of that 2nd salary we need to dump off.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:42 pm

This thread feels like we're 60+ games into the season and almost to the deadline.

I thought it was October and 11 games into the season. Guess time flew by. Santa stiffed me, jerk.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 pm

He probably didnt leave you anything because of your attitude.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:49 pm

We should trade for Vanek.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby neophool on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:32 am

We should trade for Moulson. Even though we never should have lost him.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:13 am

SolidSnake wrote:

Then wouldn't you rather keep Niskanen and move Orpik?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:37 pm

I wish the pens had 3 Martins and 3 Maattas on defence. Thoes type of 2 way defencemen are hard to come by but offer you so much more than your average, All mobile or total defensive dman.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm

I wish the Pens would just trade everyone already so we can start complaining about their replacements right away.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Jim wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Then wouldn't you rather keep Niskanen and move Orpik?

I was using the Kennopka is twice as good as Hrdina quote :)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:48 pm

Scuds broken ankle solves the post The answer is Nobody is traded Case closed
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:39 am

Froggy wrote:letang isn't going anywhere.

Truth...

Like it or not, Letang will be a Penguin for a long time. If Letang were to be traded it would have happened this off-season. So for those of you Letang-haters you have two choices: continue to be angry and disgruntled or know the reality and just hope he plays well, and helps the team.

I think the only way we see Letang traded is if/when players like Harrington, Dumoulin, Despres and Pouliot prove too good to keep out of the line-up to the point the money spent on Letang is no longer necessary. If this situation is to occur, you're still looking at a good two years down the road when Niskanen, Orpik and Scuderi have been phased out of necessity by the aforementioned players.

People talk about trading Orpik? I definitely have a love/hate thing with Orpik. If he's traded, I don't think it will be until the off-season. While players like him or slowly becoming a relic of the NHL, he still has something to offer that none of our current players do. His ability I believe will always be a necessity. I think the Penguins should re-sign him for the remainder of his career. If he's the 7th or 8th dman, that's just fine. I just don't think you let him go.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins