Should we trade????

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Should we trade????

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 am

Shaky Walton wrote:Scuds broken ankle solves the post The answer is Nobody is traded Case closed

There ya go!

These a guys are really dropping like flies. I guess at the very least it's happening early in the season.

I know Scuds being injured doesn't really open up a spot since there was already a bit of a logjam, but I wouldn't mind seeing Harrington and Despres get a few looks over Engelland.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Scuds broken ankle solves the post The answer is Nobody is traded Case closed

There ya go!

These a guys are really dropping like flies. I guess at the very least it's happening early in the season.

I know Scuds being injured doesn't really open up a spot since there was already a bit of a logjam, but I wouldn't mind seeing Harrington and Despres get a few looks over Engelland.

well, we still have 7 d men on our main roster. I don't see ANYONE getting called up unless there are more injuries
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am

Froggy wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

There ya go!

well, we still have 7 d men on our main roster. I don't see ANYONE getting called up unless there are more injuries

I know... I said it doesn't really open a spot, but just that I'd like to see those guys get a few looks.

At the rate this is going though, we'll probably a lose a few more players of the next couple of weeks.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shaky Walton on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 am

Why would you call up a defenseman if you already have 7 If they call up someone who do they replace in the lineup? You people are just no playing with a full deck!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 am

Why would they need to replace someone? How many people are on the roster?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:36 am

Good thing we kept Niskanen and didn't send Maatta down.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 am

Shaky Walton wrote:Why would you call up a defenseman if you already have 7 If they call up someone who do they replace in the lineup? You people are just no playing with a full deck!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a chill pill bro
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 am

Meh, we could have traded Niskanen AND sent Maatta down and our defense after Scuderi's injury would still look about on par with what we fielded last year in the playoffs. It's that deep.

We've got 2 NHL ready dmen waiting in the AHL for their chance, and a 3rd tweener depth guy in Mikkelson who's used to filling in a few games whenever injuries strike during the season.

Our defensive depth is beyond anything most teams ever see.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:00 pm

pcm wrote:Meh, we could have traded Niskanen AND sent Maatta down and our defense after Scuderi's injury would still look about on par with what we fielded last year in the playoffs. It's that deep.

We've got 2 NHL ready dmen waiting in the AHL for their chance, and a 3rd tweener depth guy in Mikkelson who's used to filling in a few games whenever injuries strike during the season.

What would you get when trading Niskanen? You aren't going to get a top 6 forward, and I certainly wouldn't trade him for a bottom 6 forward when you can wait until closer to the deadline to fill a void of that nature.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pcm wrote:Meh, we could have traded Niskanen AND sent Maatta down and our defense after Scuderi's injury would still look about on par with what we fielded last year in the playoffs. It's that deep.

What would you get when trading Niskanen? You aren't going to get a top 6 forward, and I certainly wouldn't trade him for a bottom 6 forward when you can wait until closer to the deadline to fill a void of that nature.

Agree 100% on this, you use all this depth right now, keep as many players as you can. Wait until the trade deadline find out what you need in terms of making a deep playoff push then trade thoes guys. Maybe at that point you trade for a PK guy, depth forward backup goalie. Take a look at guys with injuries if they are out for a long time, get that guy to fill in if you have that need.

Lets face it the team as is even with the odd injury here and there should make the playoffs. Once you hit the playoffs you make your moves strenghten your weak spots and go for it during the playoffs. This depth on defence will come in handy then.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Anaheim has contacted Shero about acquiring a dman. I assume that they were looking at Niskanen, given his reported availability. Who would I want in return? Patrick Maroon. He's a hulking winger, who's getting [showcased] alongside Perry and Getzlaf while Penner and Silfverburg are out with injuries. He's only 25 and certainly hasn't proven he can score consistently in the NHL. But he'd be the type of guy that I think the Pens could take a chance on for an asset like Niskanen. At the very least he'll be a solid banging bottom 6'er.

Another option, if he heals okay from his concussion, would be Penner himself. I've honestly never really liked his game (too inconsistent, soft for his size), and I'd much rather go for the younger player, but if all he needs to do is stand in front of the net and take up space, he could potentially work really well on a line with Malkin and Neal. The salary evens out for both cap-strapped teams in a Niskanen-Penner swap.

The point of my above post though was not to say we absolutely should trade Niskanen (he's been our best dman up till now), but that we have incredible depth on D, and could still make a move there without losing much, despite Scuderi's injuries.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:04 pm

pcm wrote:Anaheim has contacted Shero about acquiring a dman. I assume that they were looking at Niskanen, given his reported availability. Who would I want in return? Patrick Maroon. He's a hulking winger, who's getting [showcased] alongside Perry and Getzlaf while Penner and Silfverburg are out with injuries. He's only 25 and certainly hasn't proven he can score consistently in the NHL. But he'd be the type of guy that I think the Pens could take a chance on for an asset like Niskanen. At the very least he'll be a solid banging bottom 6'er.

Another option, if he heals okay from his concussion, would be Penner himself. I've honestly never really liked his game (too inconsistent, soft for his size), and I'd much rather go for the younger player, but if all he needs to do is stand in front of the net and take up space, he could potentially work really well on a line with Malkin and Neal. The salary evens out for both cap-strapped teams in a Niskanen-Penner swap.

You keep Niskanen at this point, hope he keeps up his solid play then at the trade deadline you can move him for what you need. If you find that team who needs a puck mover at the deadline and package another player with him i think you can land a decient player. Granted you will not land a top 6 guy but you might get a high pick or just a guy who fits nice during the playoffs. Shero does wonders trading offensive D men.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Niskanen, Jeffrey & pick for Lauri Korpikoski. Do it, RS!

Won't happen, I know.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 pm

no name wrote:
pcm wrote:Anaheim has contacted Shero about acquiring a dman. I assume that they were looking at Niskanen, given his reported availability. Who would I want in return? Patrick Maroon. He's a hulking winger, who's getting [showcased] alongside Perry and Getzlaf while Penner and Silfverburg are out with injuries. He's only 25 and certainly hasn't proven he can score consistently in the NHL. But he'd be the type of guy that I think the Pens could take a chance on for an asset like Niskanen. At the very least he'll be a solid banging bottom 6'er.

You keep Niskanen at this point, hope he keeps up his solid play then at the trade deadline you can move him for what you need. If you find that team who needs a puck mover at the deadline and package another player with him i think you can land a decient player. Granted you will not land a top 6 guy but you might get a high pick or just a guy who fits nice during the playoffs. Shero does wonders trading offensive D men.

If Anaheim has a need and have targeted Niskanen they better be offering more than a project player. I dont trade Niskanen at this point unless we win a trade handily and fill a need in return.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Patrick Maroon didn't look very good against the Blue Jackets (I know, small sample size and all that jazz). Seemed to be more getting in the way of Getzlaf and Perry. Those two carried the line. It's sort of akin to putting Malkin-Crosby-Kobasew/Adams/Glass/Jeffrey together on the ice. The 3rd wheel is just taking up space on the line and really isn't contributing anything to it (outside of being in the right place in the right time, playing styles non-withstanding).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Gaucho wrote:Niskanen, Jeffrey & pick for Lauri Korpikoski. Do it, RS!

Won't happen, I know.

Are you out of your mind??? Korpikowski is a hack Serves no purpose 3 for 1 you are insane
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:19 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
no name wrote:

EMERSON ETEM
If Anaheim has a need and have targeted Niskanen they better be offering more than a project player. I dont trade Niskanen at this point unless we win a trade handily and fill a need in return.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:19 pm

EMERSON ETEM
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Niskanen, Jeffrey & pick for Lauri Korpikoski. Do it, RS!

Won't happen, I know.

Are you out of your mind??? Korpikowski is a hack Serves no purpose 3 for 1 you are insane

So you wouldn't trade 3 pesos for a silver dollar?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 pm

For niskanen id want more than etem. Maybe throw in john gibson or a first as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 pm

I think Niskanen and a pick for Perry should work honestly. If I'm Ray Shero, that's my hard line in a sand.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:16 pm

It's kind of difficult to make deals when half your roster is sitting in the press box with injuries, don't ya think?
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:50 am

Sucks the Ducks were so quick to move Bobby Ryan to Ottawa, would've done Niskanen for Ryan and like a 2nd or 3rd.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 am

GSdrums87 wrote:Sucks the Ducks were so quick to move Bobby Ryan to Ottawa, would've done Niskanen for Ryan and like a 2nd or 3rd.

Forgetting for a moment Anaheim gets hosed in the talent exchange in this trade, the salary cap cops just laugh at this move.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:28 am

Yeah well, says you.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins