Game 11 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 11 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:51 am

Pens lose 4-1

- Worse than the game loss is the possible loss of Scuderi to injury (injuries piling up)
- Hot goalies or Pens shooters making opposing goalies look good... or both? In this game, both.
- In the last three losses, the Pens have 4 goals on 114 shots
- Game much closer than the 4-1 score, but 1 goal per game (or 28.5 shots) is not going to win & offense/pplay needs to improve
- Malkin's failure to clear zone on PK (with time) & Letang's pass to Bolland were twisting the sword already stuck in the back. Game was over, so pls don't focus on those
- Dupuis/Kunitz & Jokinen/D'agostini are not creating space/havoc for Malkin/Crosby to work with. Tons of great passes, but rarely odd man opportunities
- Secondary scoring is non existent, curious to see what lineup changes HCDB makes. Jussi to third? Jeffrey? Bortuzzo?
- Back at it on Monday night vs. Canes
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 11 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby no name on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:06 am

I have always known Malkin more so than Sid needs to play with good players to get points. Now with Neal out it is even more painful to watch him play. He is scoring on the power play with ease when he has all those good players around him. But when he is playing with Kobasew or D'A and only has Jokinen to pass to his production 5 on 5 is subpar. At times you can see the effort and the desire to create offence but without someone to pass to or open up space for him, he disappears.

I guess I am trying to say, where is james neal???
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 am

Wasn't Malkin and Neal subpar 5 on 5 last year as well? I think Malkin needs a strictly banger on his line the way he plays. His success in the past has been with guys who create space.

Sid is more creative overall and plays a bit more of a down low game.

Getting Neal back will help but we don't need an all star 2nd line LWer we need someone big or small who does more dirty work.

Jussi won't cut it long term in what that line needs.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Healing vibes to Rob Scuderi.
In the penguins history and DNA; it has always been about less shots, more goals. Now all these high shot totals ; a bit of just shooting. Starts with the HOT AVS goalie. 15% of those shots into his stomach.
Accuracy and the discipline to take the good shot is missing.

Bad habits creeping into their play; have to nix those in Carolina.

Evgeni needs a sitdown with Michael Therrien; somebody who will shake him up into being focused on the ice. Either with extra video time or ice time.

Since Evgeni has had everyone on his line save me :D, Dustin Jeffrey has some offensive skills. Why not dress him for the Carolina game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:14 pm

With the Pens finally playing some real teams, cracks are starting to show in this lineup. The defense IMO looks generally great, but the lack of offensive depth is disturbing.

All those high shot totals mean nothing when theres no one in front of the net.

Neal and Bennett will certainly help, but the thing we've learned from this team from the last playoffs... when the going gets tough, they struggle to score.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 pm

This loss made me angrier about the Isles game. Played fine against TOR and COL, and didn't get the breaks. Losing to the Isles makes it a 3 game losing streak.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 pm

A glut of defense and no scoring depth...what to do, what to do...
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Malkin-giveaways were absolutely killer... I feel like there needs to be a nickname for them, I keep mentioning his turnovers so often
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:38 pm

I watched most of the game at a bar last night, so I wasn't able to pay as close attention as I otherwise might, but I think what this run of losses shows (again) is that when the Crosby line and the PP cool down, this team doesn't have much offensively. And even when they are being relatively responsible defensively, they lose close, low-scoring games, because they make a couple glaring mistakes that end with the puck in their net.

Having Bennett and Neal back will help, but as others have pointed out, Malkin's line wasn't great 5 v 5 last year either. It's too early for the "trade everybody" sort of thing going on in other threads. However, over the summer, I was among those skeptical of the idea that bringing back the same core of players and the same coaching staff would yield different results. The first couple games of the season seemed to indicate a renewed commitment to smart play, but that seems to be wearing off.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:41 pm

How long will Letang be allowed to freelance it?
I mean, we have enough evidence to conclude that won't work out well.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 66_FOREVER on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:34 pm

I think Boston exposed us last year in the playoffs and now teams are using that to beat us. Pens only beat one playoff team from last year. Not a good sign going forward. Adjustments need to be made
66_FOREVER
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Yes, allowing the Pens to take 40 shots and praying that your goalie stands on his head seems like a smart stratergery.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Imagine what they could have gotten for Letang?
Shero has made some good moves but sometimes I think he thinks with his heart and not his head.
An influx of youth is what all teams need. You can't keep the same players together and expect different results.
Dupius looks like his wallet is inflated with cash, needs to assert himself more.
Not much you can do with the bottom six, they are all interchangeable and clones of one another.
They must try to work more on defense than offense. I thought I would never say that but it is true.
What happens when Fleury has a bad start to a game? Do you replace him with Zatkoff?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Second Leafs goal was all on Fleury. That feeble diving pokecheck hardly ever works for him
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm

They took 40 shots a game in that series? How many scoring chances? 3?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:12 pm

I wasn't talking about the series.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Gaucho wrote:I wasn't talking about the series.

He may have been referring to the poster you were replying to.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:This loss made me angrier about the Isles game. Played fine against TOR and COL, and didn't get the breaks. Losing to the Isles makes it a 3 game losing streak.

I think the mistakes were just on different ends of the ice against TOR than agaist NYI. In both games, they ended up in our net too much. Agaist COL, there weren't many mistakes, but we didn't make anyone pay for their mistakes in any of the last 3 games.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby MarioLives on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Linemates have nothing to do with the turnovers Malkin makes consistently. He is not worth the
Money the Pens pay him.
Sorry that is true. 2009 was a long time ago. I
Agree on Letang, but he can still be traded, maybe that contract will be a plus since teams
Know what they will have with him?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Ovechkin is better worth his money.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Malkin is sandwiched between two undrafted players on the Pens stat chart.
That's not exactly where we want to see him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penmyst on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:58 pm

1. Malkin: the ridiculous turnovers and lazy penalties (hooking guys in the offensive zone? really?) from him have simply got to stop. I cut him some slack on overall scoring numbers because he is stuck with some curtain-jerkers on his wings at the moment. But he wasn't lighting anything up last year at ES with Neal out there either...

2. The Letang goal was good to see. Great movement AWAY from the puck by Letang to get into a Grade A scoring spot and punish the Leafs player that had drifted too far left and too high in the zone (being aggressive, which is what PKs do nowadays) to get back into position and stop him. That's what is needed more for this PP to get PKs in check.

3. Secondary scoring is MIA. Outside of Sutter, who wasn't exactly scaring anybody to score, it was yet another game where the 3rd and 4th line was not that noticeable.

4. Tons of shots the last several games, but not getting enough quality on them. Whether that's more screens or better aggressiveness around the net... time to pick it up.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Not every goalie that stops 40 of our shots is a "hot goalie". If I was a coach I would all but let the pens shoot and move my goalie out a few feet to cut off angles. Worked wonders for Boston.

Well, I have been told a ton here that Sheros master plan is to trade one if these young dmen.

I'm afraid we can't wait any longer, wasting some years of Sid and Geno. but also the only one at the peak of his value is Matta - the one we can't trade. Despres might bring a good forward?

But we don't have cap space. I do find it more alarming only 2 or 3 Shero draft picks from 2006 play, all not at any major roles right now.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Yuch. Game seemed heartless for the Pens for me based on what I was watching.

No joke, but I felt best about our chances when Maata was on the ice. Orpik's best days are miles behind him and Letang is an anchor bringing this team into the ground. Scuds was playing very well until going out and is our most sound d-man. Sum it up and I am saying the strength of this team is becoming a big weakness.

I am so completely impressed with Joe Vitale. This guy needs to move up the minutes. Put him on whatever line you need.

This team looks and plays old and the grind of the season is just now kicking in. A lot of these old dogs are going to struggle this year. Shero signed a bunch of contracts and the poster who said he GMs with his heart couldn't be more accurate. Thankfully, our division is a complete joke.

And an FYI, Jordan Staal just stinks this year.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Malkin produced with Talbot and Feds. He needs to be better.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Talbot and Feds could get the puck out of the corners. With Malkin's linemates (since Kunitz-Neal), if possession is lost in the offensive zone, it's going the other way.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins