Game 11 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 11 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Orpik's good days are a thing of the past. He needs to go and let some of the younger legs get a chance I said it before but we all have an expiration date. I am afraid that Orpik has expired. Time to get something for him before others find that out too
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 pm

He hasn't expired, he just smells funny.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 pm

It's always so hard to find those expiration dates. Sometimes they're on the lid...sometimes on the bottom...sometimes written up the side...sometimes they're faded...sometimes they don't use spaces and you have to figure out if their using 0's in front of single digits or not. It's all just a big hassle!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Gaucho wrote:He hasn't expired, he just smells funny.

A little curdling, too.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:57 pm

sil wrote:It's always so hard to find those expiration dates. Sometimes they're on the lid...sometimes on the bottom...sometimes written up the side...sometimes they're faded...sometimes they don't use spaces and you have to figure out if their using 0's in front of single digits or not. It's all just a big hassle!

And then you don't know if it's DD/MM/YY, MM/DD/YY, or YY/MM/DD, which, depending on the numbers involved can make all the difference between lunch and a trip to the ER.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:10 pm

If only they could trade for James Neal and Beau Bennett.....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 pm

The Snapshot wrote:If only they could trade for James Neal and Beau Bennett.....

James Neal and Beau Bennett would stop Letang and Malkin from committing backbreaking turnovers in their own zone? :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:34 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:If only they could trade for James Neal and Beau Bennett.....

James Neal and Beau Bennett would stop Letang and Malkin from committing backbreaking turnovers in their own zone? :pop:

Lot's of people bemoaning the lack of scoring depth when we are down 2 top 6 guys. I can't address everyone's pet complaints in one post, at least I can't because I don't care enough to type that much.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penmyst on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:14 pm

And I don't care enough to rea
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 am

With our 2 star setup, when their lines don't score, this is the result. When teams shut down the top 2, secondary scoring is nonexistent. Couple key injuries and we just don't have quality forward depth. Wonder what the D will look like without Scuderi?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am

Bennett and Neal will obviously help our offensive production, but the lack of scoring depth has been an issue on this team for a while now. We lack players willing to play in front of the net, so we end up with 40 shots, but few quality scoring chances.

We also lack the depth that allows a team to sustain pressure/momentum even when their bottom lines are out there. This is what hockey is all about...you can usually "feel" when a team is going to score. But for the Pens, the top 2 lines (though lately just the top line) go and create pressure, then Sutters line comes out and plays an entire shift in the dzone, because they cant hold onto the puck. All momentum is lost.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stevens25 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am

Looks like our team went to see Tyler Kennedys shooting coach, the chest sniper shots are never ending at this point.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 am

Someone for the front of the net is important. They also need to get someone to reel Malkin in. He seems to just go wherever whenever which causes issues for his linemates. It's not 5-on-5 when he is out there it is 5-on-4+1.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am

Jim wrote:Someone for the front of the net is important. They also need to get someone to reel Malkin in. He seems to just go wherever whenever which causes issues for his linemates. It's not 5-on-5 when he is out there it is 5-on-4+1.

Morrow played 1 game with Malkin and Neal last year. He planted himself in front of the net and Malkin and Neal had tons of open space to freewheel through the zone. It was beautiful, and I'm totally mystified why we never saw that combo again. Having a sort of similar player in Kunitz on that line saw them Geno and Neal pot 90 goals together. Without that kind of player, the opposition can close the gaps on Malkin, forcing turnovers that his line can't recover because they don't have anyone to bang bodies and dig the puck out from the walls.

This is what Shero needs to be looking for. #1 priority IMO. Unfortunately there's not a lot of players like that out there... but that's for another thread.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:37 am

pcm wrote:Bennett and Neal will obviously help our offensive production, but the lack of scoring depth has been an issue on this team for a while now. We lack players willing to play in front of the net, so we end up with 40 shots, but few quality scoring chances.

We also lack the depth that allows a team to sustain pressure/momentum even when their bottom lines are out there. This is what hockey is all about...you can usually "feel" when a team is going to score. But for the Pens, the top 2 lines (though lately just the top line) go and create pressure, then Sutters line comes out and plays an entire shift in the dzone, because they cant hold onto the puck. All momentum is lost.

I understand your point about the net front presence, and I would like to see more of that. That said, I do not think many folks realize what happens throughout the lineup when two bottom six guys assume top 6 roles. Kobasew and Jussi if dropped down drastically elevate the skill and knack around the net over some of the guys playing there now. If Bennett goes down and Jussi stays up, the result is still the same.

I think one of the biggest disappointments for me is Sutter, who I had higher hopes for in terms of scoring knack. He has shown to be streaky though so I am hoping he will chip in. The 4th line for any team rarely scores, so I would assume that the 3rd needs to chip in more and I believe that Kobasew and Jussi matched against 3rd D pairs should produce a lot more than what you see now, even if Sutter is their center.

I think it is also worth noting that with two scoring lines likes we are generally supposed to field, matchups should mean that we are getting production there above the level that we are seeing. Unfortunately, Kobasew has been invisible on Malkin's line and for my taste Malkin and Jussi together are playing too cute.

I think our issues with scoring depth are mostly centered on the makeup and style of the 2nd line right now, not the 3rd and 4th. Those will be fine after Neal and Bennett return. So in theory should the 2nd.

We will always struggle though if Crosby goes pointless for multiple games.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm just looking forward to seeing what a healthy team can do, but it is frustrating seeing the team stumbling along.
-Really concerned about Scuds, I see him as vital given Orpik's decline and Letang's brain farts. At least Bort can get back on D with Maatta.
-Geno's inability to play with anyone not named Neal or Kunitz is problematic given his elite status and pay. I'm not saying he's had consistent quality or any consistency, but he clearly has problems trusting an unfamiliar winger and subsequently starts trying to take on all comers single handedly. Please please please get well soon Neal!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 pm

You will never see what a healthy team can do, I promise you that.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:08 pm

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 15m
“@penguins: Rob Scuderi returned to PIT, re-evaluted this afternoon, per coach Bylsma”/Nothing official yet but hearing it could be 4+ weeks

:face:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:10 pm

I was fearing far worse, to be honest.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Well, it say 4+, so far worse is still possible.

Remember when Crosby was day-to-day?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:36 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:You will never see what a healthy team can do, I promise you that.

It's part of the game, but the list of key Pens players injured and the timing of those injuries just makes me laugh now (in a slightly unhinged way...)
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:24 pm

One thing about this game I forgot to mention in opening post. That was the quietest game at the ACC in recent memory. On the CBC feed they were calling it "library like", most people were transfixed by all the skill plays happening. Perhaps that played into the Leafs favor.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Gaucho wrote:Well, it say 4+, so far worse is still possible.

Remember when Crosby was day-to-day?

In the paper today Bylsma said "We have seven healthy defensemen, so we’re equipped to be without him," Bylsma said. "I don’t think the evaluation is going to change how long he’s going to be out too much."

It seems like they already have an idea from the trainers/staff and want a second opinion?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 pm

I don't see anything wrong with that
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins