Game 12 vs. 'Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 12 vs. 'Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:59 am

Pens win 3-1

- Pens end the losing skid. First and foremost, that is important. LGP sanity returns.
- MAF was reliable when called upon..... again.
- I described Megna as smooth after his first game. I stand corrected, he is "Megnasmooth" (credit to Bobby Errey)
- Canes were brutal in the first period...... BRUTAL. Of course, they come out of the period tied at one :roll:
- Peters played well, but thankfully not at the level of the last 3 opposing goalies
- How do you get more scoring from 3rd & 4th lines? Drop Crosby & Malkin to center them from time to time. In game injuries forced it, but they responded
- Chucky Kobasew got hurt (was playing like he was hurt already). When it rains, it pours...
- Kobasew injury might imply Dustin Jeffrey on Wednesday night. If not DJ(meaning WBS call up replaces DJ), why is DJ still on roster?
- Borts looks good with Maatta. Borts should not be out of the lineup
- Orpik responds to the LGP criticism with THREE assists. A pick a pen dream night
- Suter looked better than Staal.... again. What has happened to JS (maybe the marriage? :wink: )
- Boston on Wednesday, get your game face on, its going to be scary (halloween reference)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 12 vs. 'Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 am

Good to see that Vitale Glass and Adams were great last night. Its been a couple years since our grinders consistently had a cycle / forcheck going for them all game long.

Again Maatta is light years ahead of where he should be, it really stood out at the end of the game with a couple of minutes left and he got the puck deep in the corner and instead of just wildly trying to flip it out of the zone and turning it over, he ate the puck in the corner and then won the battle against three canes to come out with the puck to keep possession.

I also thought D'Agostini looked really good tonight as well. He was all over the puck and had a couple nice chances.

MAF -- A+ so far. He made some big saves to keep us in the game when the Canes came hard in the 2nd.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:13 am

Penspal wrote:- Suter looked better than Staal.... again. What has happened to JS (maybe the marriage? :wink: )

Not sure. Maybe its a be careful what you wish for kind of scenario.

Power play is still flat.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:35 am

The Martin-Orpik pairing played extremely well last night.

Borts-Maatta ALWAYS look good together. I like that pairing. Never break it up.

Letang played much better last night. Did J. Martin pull him aside and explain what defense means? LOL

I was very happy for Mr. Megna. He played so well last night, and was rewarded for his hard work.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 am

I was happy the Pens won last night, but it bothers me that they only beating weaker opponents (except Vancouver). I think there is still a lot of testing remaining for this group.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:59 am

Oh, it does bother me they still seem unable/unwilling to play a full 60 minutes.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:13 am

- Pens competed the entire game, but it was soooo lopsided in the first, that when the Canes adjusted in the 2nd, they finally got invested. More a credit to the Canes than an knock on the Pens. It was like the Pens played two different teams in one game.

- D'Agago who.... I hardly noticed him to be honest. Yeah, he did have a couple plays, but he was silent the rest of the way (penalty excluded, he's got to get on the scoresheet).

- Letang definitely stayed back more, less wildly jumping into the rush every shift.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:32 am

I watched the Canes feed. A funny quote: "I have seen a player play on two lines --- I have never seen a player play two on two lines for the entire game!

He referenced Sid. How much Ice time did he have? He played outrageously good. Malkin looks lost at time though, he can't find pick support so he tries to do things himself and turns the puck over. Aside from the Malkin line, I thought the rest of the team played very well.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 am

ouch~ broken ankle for Scuderi.:( awful. good news; he will be rested for the play offs.
A must win game to stop the losing streak.
Brooks ~call me Norris~ Orpik! Him and Paul Martin had active and accurate stick work around the canes.
Flower; a quiet but steely game from him.
#59 Jayson Megna; pay no attention to the coach, keep going to the net :P 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:58 am

Penspal wrote:LGP sanity returns

Yeah, right!
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 am

Here are my thoughts:
- megna looked really good. How great would it be if he can keep that kind of level over the course of the year.
- letang still does not look even close to form. he is constantly miss-handling passes, and getting the puck stuck at or around his skates. Once he gets back to game form, the pens will be much harder to keep up with.
- MAF looks like a whole different goalie this year, and a lot of it has to do with defensemen who actually want to play defense.
- Borts is a guy who just seems keep playing a very solid defensive game even when he is out of the lineup for multiple games. That has to be a difficult position to be in, but he is making it look easy.
- glass has been fantastic this season. makes you wonder what happened last year that made him so ineffective.
- malkin looks depressed... if that is even possible to see from a television. There is no energy, no excitement, no nothing. He still is a force though, and once he gets some line mates back, I think we will see our old geno back too.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 am

PghSkins wrote:
Penspal wrote:LGP sanity returns

Yeah, right!

No......no.......
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 am

Sid's TOI has to come down. It's far too high.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:14 am

meow wrote:Sid's TOI has to come down. It's far too high.

If only we had another center who was capable of taking over games...

Nope. Can't think of him.

Point is, nothing we've seen from Evgeni Malkin this year warrants giving more ice time to him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:- glass has been fantastic this season. makes you wonder what happened last year that made him so ineffective.

He has stated that coming to a new team, right out of a lock-out with no real training camp, he just never felt right. He said this year, with the full camp, learning the system better and the team familiarity from last season, he is feeling much more comfortable. Sometimes, it just takes you a while to fit in.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 am

Having our way with lesser teams, and getting out-disciplined by good teams. All you have to do is mark your man, manage your positions on defense, and exploit a mistake to beat us, and we make enough mistakes to make that a fairly simple task. That's a coaching gap.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby meow on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 am

MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:Sid's TOI has to come down. It's far too high.

If only we had another center who was capable of taking over games...

Nope. Can't think of him.

Point is, nothing we've seen from Evgeni Malkin this year warrants giving more ice time to him.

It's not so much rewarding Malkin as it is limiting Crosby. I just don't want to see him wear down in the spring, especially this being an Olympic year.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:46 am

Not going to look all the way back in the archives, but from the open scrimmage at his first prospects camp as an undrafted FA - I said we needed to sign him. That giant defenseman Sustyr (sp?) was that other guy that just jumped off the ice at me (he is now playing in the NHL as well).

Megna that day popped for exactly the same reason as he did last night. He can SKATE and somehow the puck either follows him or he has amazing anticipation. I really think he might be a guy who is better at the NHL level where the skill level is higher around him and the play has more structure - which allows his instincts to take him to the puck.

I'm not getting nuts and thinking he can play top 6 with us every night, but he can absolutely use his legs and grit to play meaningful bottom six minutes to add some offense. To me the big question is his durability. He has been nicked last year a few times.

As Bibs said last night, "if you can skate like that and can think the game, you have a shot at being and NHL regular at a minimum".
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:49 am

His future might be closer to Dupuis than Kennedy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:53 am

columbia wrote:His future might be closer to Dupuis than Kennedy.

He has much better skill than Dupuis. Dupuis' hands are good for chopping pucks up as often as he uses them to make good plays.... :lol:
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:56 am

So was Glass hurt all last year?? Why the heck did Bylsma have him benched during most of the playoffs. That guy plays a good hard gritty game something we have been lacking.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:57 am

i suppose this should at least move megna up to malkin's line until neal or BB is back. it would be pointless to put him on that vortex of a 3rd line. might as well just put a one legged scuderi on that line.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:58 am

no name wrote:So was Glass hurt all last year?? Why the heck did Bylsma have him benched during most of the playoffs. That guy plays a good hard gritty game something we have been lacking.

well, he wasn't as good last year. it might have been from the lack of training camp because of the lockout, or maybe due to the fact that this year, he had to earn his spot in camp, and knows he has to step his game up to remain in the lineup
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Last year: "Why is Bylsma playing Glass? He sucks! Boo Bylsma!"

This year: "Why didn't Bylsma play Glass more last year? He's good now! Boo Bylsma!"

Never change, LGP.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:08 pm

It was easy to see Glass being better this year, he was playing way below his capacity last year. More people than just myself expressed this opinion during the offseason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins