Letang to wing?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Letang to wing?

Postby pcm on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:27 pm

MRandall25 wrote:But missing games shouldn't affect your knowledge that passing to the other team is bad and shooting into the pads of the defender 3 feet in front of you is a bad idea.

Actually this is exactly what missing games can do (well, not the way you phrase it.) But Letang's timing is way off. That's why you pass the puck on the wrong trajectory and it ends up on the opponent's stick. Its why you wind up to shoot and don't really notice the guy right there.

Letang's definitely got to get his head out of his arse. He's not stupid. He's incredibly smart; he's just not focused. And a lot of that probably has to do with getting a huge contract + getting injured and missing games. His head's not in the game. Who knows why else...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 pm

MRandall25 wrote:But missing games shouldn't affect your knowledge that passing to the other team is bad and shooting into the pads of the defender 3 feet in front of you is a bad idea.

You're right. He will never be a productive player again.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 pm

How do you get that from what I said?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 pm

MRandall25 wrote:How do you get that from what I said?

My apologies, I thought you were carrying on from Dudeman's riff.
I get that Letang had some bad playoff games. But he's also had some really good ones, even last year. He suffers when the entire team goes into panic mode and he tries to do too much individually. But he's not unique in that manner. It seems like many want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Great58 wrote:

I get that Letang had some bad playoff games. But he's also had some really good ones, even last year. He suffers when the entire team goes into panic mode and he tries to do too much individually. But he's not unique in that manner. It seems like many want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Here's the main issue: You don't pay a defenseman top league money for all the issues you've explained that he has.

When Letang brings his A-Game he's a game-changer...but he doesn't bring his A-Game consistently. If your'e going to spend $7M+ on ANY player, it better be for one who performs at an elite level more times than most.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 am

Great58 wrote:

And I never said he wouldn't be a productive player again, but I'm positive he wont turn into a D Man that teams want to be paying over 7 million too. With the cap restraints on this team and lack of depth at wing, you cannot "take the good with the bad" for that much money. Especially when the bad is way way more consistent than the good. That's why I've mentioned a few times I'm sure in the next 5-10 games he'll make a slick play for a goal and his fans on here will act like it discredits all his critics and pretend the past year and half never happened. Its the way it goes on message boards.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 am

That's why I've mentioned a few times I'm sure in the next 5-10 games he'll make a slick play for a goal and his fans on here will act like it discredits all his critics and pretend the past year and half never happened. Its the way it goes on message boards.

It goes both ways on message boards. You're blasting him for his play over the last "year and a half" during which time he's been a point per game producer and Norris trophy nominee. So I don't know that the bad has been way way more consistent than the good.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Here's the main issue: You don't pay a defenseman top league money for all the issues you've explained that he has.

When Letang brings his A-Game he's a game-changer...but he doesn't bring his A-Game consistently. If your'e going to spend $7M+ on ANY player, it better be for one who performs at an elite level more times than most.

well, then there's Malkin. And a whole host of inflated contracts around the league that seem to make little sense, but yet still create the economic environment of the league. So the gamble is will Letang continue to improve and mature as a player, and will player salaries and the cap continue to rise over the next 8 years to make this contract seem "reasonable"? I'd bet yes.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:35 am

Great58 wrote:
That's why I've mentioned a few times I'm sure in the next 5-10 games he'll make a slick play for a goal and his fans on here will act like it discredits all his critics and pretend the past year and half never happened. Its the way it goes on message boards.

It goes both ways on message boards. You're blasting him for his play over the last "year and a half" during which time he's been a point per game producer and Norris trophy nominee. So I don't know that the bad has been way way more consistent than the good.

Mike green was a norris trophy nominee before he kearned some semblence of defense.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:24 am

Great58 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

well, then there's Malkin. And a whole host of inflated contracts around the league that seem to make little sense, but yet still create the economic environment of the league. So the gamble is will Letang continue to improve and mature as a player, and will player salaries and the cap continue to rise over the next 8 years to make this contract seem "reasonable"? I'd bet yes.

I agree with you for the most part. I remember when everyone was freaking out about the Gonchar contract and then everyone thought it was a bargain when he improved.

Will Letang get better???
Letang is 26 years old. He's still young and will continue to learn and grow.

Is his contract inflated?
IMO, No it's not. Other teams around the league would have paid more, but I don't think we need Letang or his contact, nor do I think he needs to be replaced.

This team has all the defensive tools without Letang to be effective. As long as this team is held to a higher standard a made to play responsible hockey, they won't have any issues. The problem is nobody on this team (including forwards) are held accountable for not joining in the defensive play.

Is Malkin's contract inflated?
I don't think you can fairly draw a parallel between Letang and Malkin just because they're two players this year who aren't delivering the way they should and are making a ton of money. Malkin has far more accomplishments in this league than Letang and has proved his worth more IMO.

The argument you can make though is do the Pens NEED Malkin? If Malkin finds his game again(which I'm sure he will), he's a luxury the Pens have that make them heads and tails better than the rest. If he banishes himself into average play, we don't need him and he should be traded for someone who costs half the price and brings the same game.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:54 am

Josh Yohe reporting Letang missing from morning skate.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 am

DelPen wrote:Josh Yohe reporting Letang missing from morning skate.

He got lost chasing a soccer ball they were kicking around outside the locker room.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Is Malkin's contract inflated?
I don't think you can fairly draw a parallel between Letang and Malkin just because they're two players this year who aren't delivering the way they should and are making a ton of money. Malkin has far more accomplishments in this league than Letang and has proved his worth more IMO.

Sorry, I should have separated my thoughts a little bit better. My lead-in with Malkin was resulting in the comment below, not that I think Malkin's contract is inflated.

I think it would be difficult to argue that Geno's brought his A-game on a more consistent basis over the 2013's NHL seasons than Letang. At least when Letang signed his contract extension, he was coming off a strong regular season run. Malkin signed his coming off a lackluster performance since returning from the KHL. To be clear, I do expect to see the old Geno back and don't think the contract was a mistake, but think it provides some perspective by which to evaluate the Letang situation.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins