Game 17 vs Blues - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 17 vs Blues - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 am

Pens lose 2-1

- A very hard hitting, exciting game, fun to watch. Clean & Respectable. The better team (in this game) won
- I can't blame MAF for either goal, but don't let me stop you guys from doing so - a great tip & deflection. Two goals against from best team in NHL.
- Letang is soo talented, but you can count on 2-3 bonehead plays a game (or 1/2 a game, he played 29 minutes :shock: )
- Martin's absence was noticeable. The D to D passes under pressure were ... less smooth
- Did Sutter get injured? Kunitz & Dupuis are playing injured, now Martin....
- Coaching decision of inserting 2 guys returning from longer injury layoffs PLUS D'Agostini (vs "most physical team in league)
- A couple of two headed monster shifts, which continues to intrigue me. Pens are not scoring anyway, like to see #moar :twisted: :twisted: monSTAR
- Its a long season, lots of ups/downs. Losing by 1 goal on road to best team in league sucks.... learn from it, move on.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 17 vs Blues - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:21 am

If you like watching nothing called, you loved last night's game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:33 am

Frustrating game in that the Pens couldn't generate any offense. Well structured, defensive teams (which is very common in the playoffs) continue to give the Pens problems. Not much has changed...

Let's wait until the Blues finally do something in the playoffs before everyone anoints them the best team in hockey.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sniper on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:40 am

-Everyone wants to talk about Letang after last nights game. Orpik was far worse.
-Was anyone complaining about Letang when the game was 1-1? Seemed like all complaints were after they were down and he was taking chances to tie up a game when the team was generating 0 offense and only had 2 shots on goal late in the third.
-Crosby and Dupuis aren't playing well.
-Malkin is trying hard, it's just not happening.
-Neal and Bennett looked pretty good, especially early in the game.
-Lots of interference not called.
-Did a single Blue get thrown out of a faceoff? Their wingers cheat like crazy on them.
-Losing on the road to a good team while missing 2 top 4 D and having 3 guys return to the lineup by a goal isn't awful.
-The lower the final score of the game the more likely it is the Pens will lose. This team can't win low scoring games with any regularity. It's a big problem.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:58 am

-bennett's gonna die a slow death on that line
-i'm surprised malkin has let it get this bad. needs to bring some pride to the table.
-sid can rack up a zillion points, but he's never going to be a reliable scorer against a tight team (who is? - i know. the point is that sid is just like everyone else in that regard)
-overall, nothing was clicking. the fact that we can't manage to gain the zone without being offside 99% of the time lately (unofficial statistic) tells the story. that and all the turd passes.
-good game or bad game, i still don't care about fleury until the games start to mean something.

oh yeah...the blues are still a bunch of a holes. at least they weren't dirty a holes last night, but i've never seen such a collective chip on a team's shoulder.
Last edited by shmenguin on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:59 am

The penguins lull themselves to sleep~ 19 mins without a shot v the rangers & 10 mins v the blues, but it is Orpik's fault. Sid hasn't had a goal for 7 games. He has missed on 2 breakaways v blues and rangers.

Penguins are my team but they are easy to break. You stop sid/evgeni; win face-offs , cycle and create traffic ; other team has a 90% chance of winning. Yes, it's only a game in nov against the west. :roll:
The injured wings had to play a first game sometime; with practice this week(hopefully not an autumn vacation) they & the team should be prepared for the flyers.

This game was winnable! Same old song; no one goes to the net.
If coaching can happen; they need to demand more from Evgeni. He needs to learn PK, then be allowed to play on the PK.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:59 am

Can't wait for once in the next 8 games Letang makes a slick pass for a goal or dipsy doodles his way out of trouble and people will act like everyone who criticized him all of the sudden have egg on their face. That's the way things are done here.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 pm

A good struggle between two heavyweights.
Someone had to blink, maybe.
Had that ugly feeling the MAF was going to blink first
And then another softie in a long line of softies
Sid looks lost
Dupuis looks more lost
The end result....another loss and an early gift wrapped present for the Blues.
Those type of goals is why Fleury won't get an invite by Team Canada.
NO TRUST
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 pm

God I just hate everything you post...
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:27 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:God I just hate everything you post...
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:God I just hate everything you post...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Not hitting the :scared: switch, but it's somewhat disconcerting how they always seem to come up short in these type of games. Would like to see them muster enough O to win one of these now and again. Yeah, the Blues got a bounce... but this seems to always be the case these days in tight games.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:01 pm

--What's the deal with Orpik letting forwards push the puck past him and just skating backwards, not turning to try to keep pace with the forward going by him or trying to get a little piece of the forward to slow him down? I get that he could be worried about getting called for interference, but you have to do something in those situations.

--Relating to point one...very loosely called game. There was a ton of "subtle" interference going uncalled. I think I remember Steigy mentioning that the Blues were the 2nd most penalized team in the league, and I can see why with a pickier crew of refs. On another night, with different refs, the Pens might get 3-4 more powerplays and win that game 3-2.

--Crosby looks out of sorts--lacking in speed and energy. Maybe he's sick or has a minor injury.

--The 2nd goal might have been tipped, but I still think Fleury has to make that save. It was one of those games where the away team is being outplayed, but has the opportunity to steal a point or two, if their goalie comes up big in the 3rd. The Pens just don't seem to get that from Fleury very often, despite all of the other good saves he might have made.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:08 pm

the wicked child wrote:Not hitting the :scared: switch, but it's somewhat disconcerting how they always seem to come up short in these type of games. Would like to see them muster enough O to win one of these now and again. Yeah, the Blues got a bounce... but this seems to always be the case these days in tight games.

Does the Bruins on 10/30 not count as tight?

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Given what little offense was being generated, and how effectively the Blues were playing, the second Blues goal wasn't the problem. Pens inability to do anything offensively for the second consecutive game was.

Fleury actually kept them in the game. The Pens just couldn't do anything last night.

I don't know, the team just looks so meh lately. Starting to remind me of what they looked like before MT was fired.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Not hitting the :scared: switch, but it's somewhat disconcerting how they always seem to come up short in these type of games. Would like to see them muster enough O to win one of these now and again. Yeah, the Blues got a bounce... but this seems to always be the case these days in tight games.

Does the Bruins on 10/30 not count as tight?

BEPF

They need to be more consistent is what WC is saying. One game isn't evidence of consistency.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:21 pm

~I'm not at all a part of the hate-Letang choir, but 58's timing was obviously way off last night. His passing is all wrong. It's only 8 games, so it's not a huge concern. Especially since it's pretty typical for players to go into a funk after signing their first big contract. He'll learn. Unlike most of his detractors, I think Kris (and Malkin) are incredibly smart. Both players just overthink the game when things are going wrong.

~Malkin and Letang are not the only ones in a funk. Sid's at what 7 games without a goal? His passing on the PP has been downright terrible for the past few years now. Turning it over to a guy without a stick?

~HCDB, your stars aren't playing well. Why not try to mix the regular lines up a little to get things going? Dupuis looks invisible out there with Sid. First time in a while we've seen the 2-headed monster. That's one idea. A couple guys back, hopefully that gives you more to work with. Let's see a couple more ideas, instead of sticking with the same ol same ol.

~Hopefully Megna goes right back in for D'Agostini, who was useless. Perhaps we'll see a semblance of a 3rd line.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KBone on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Letang shooting it into the shinpads of a defender 3ft. in front of him summed that game up perfect.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:46 pm

penny lane wrote:The penguins lull themselves to sleep~ 19 mins without a shot v the rangers & 10 mins v the blues, but it is Orpik's fault. Sid hasn't had a goal for 7 games. He has missed on 2 breakaways v blues and rangers.

Penguins are my team but they are easy to break. You stop sid/evgeni; win face-offs , cycle and create traffic ; other team has a 90% chance of winning. Yes, it's only a game in nov against the west. :roll:
The injured wings had to play a first game sometime; with practice this week(hopefully not an autumn vacation) they & the team should be prepared for the flyers.

This game was winnable! Same old song; no one goes to the net.
If coaching can happen; they need to demand more from Evgeni. He needs to learn PK, then be allowed to play on the PK.

:thumb: :thumb: The Blues followed the book on how to beat the Pens, take time and space away from the stars and they become a non-factor. Follow that by cycling the puck and crashing the net, and eventually the puck ends up behind MAF.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Like some others, I’m also wondering what is going on with Sid. Usually, he starts the season off slowly and then, after the first month, starts to heat up. This year, he started off hot and then cooled down. I always thought his slow start was a hedge against suffering a groin injury early in the season--an injury that he is prone to--which leaves me wondering if maybe he tweaked something. That could explain, at least in part, his atypical play of late?
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:08 pm

shmenguin wrote:-sid can rack up a zillion points, but he's never going to be a reliable scorer against a tight team (who is? - i know. the point is that sid is just like everyone else in that regard)r.

You mean KCD isn't effective against tight-checking teams? Whaaaa???!!!
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I don't know, I think he could use some help out there. He's got a lot of pride, and carrying Kunitz and Dupuis, he's used to doing it all himself. They're good supportive players, but they're not going to create a lot of offense on their own.

Of course, he's never going to admit it (he didn't want to get Dupuis demoted to the 3rd line to play with Iginla). But he looks tired and overwhelmed out there. All 3 stars on this team try to do it themselves. There's not that team vibe that they used to have, or that you see with Chicago and Boston, where players come off the ice knowing they built momentum with a good shift and can rely on each other to capitalize. Sid, Malkin, and Letang are supposed to make plays happen, and everyone else is supposed to not get scored on.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Elementary Penguin on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I was at the game, and Malkin really stuck out to me, in a bad way. Seeing him in person away from the puck, he really just looked like he didn't care all that much out there. Just kind of going through the motions until the game was over. It was frustrating to see. You can tell he has no confidence right now either. There were a couple times where the regular Geno would try and beat a guy 1on1 with a great move, but last night he didn't even really try to, which I think was also a contributing factor to his bad turnovers.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:01 pm

-I had a revelation last night. The problems on offense are starting with the defensemen's inability to move the puck up the ice with any regularity. It was certainly worse with Engelland in instead of Martin, but my god, there wasn't a single smooth transition outside of Sid's breakaway. We can draft all the top-end, puck-moving defensemen we want, but as long as Kris Letang, Brooks Orpik, and Derek Engelland are playing significant minutes, the offense will sputter.

-Whatever happened to the balls-to-the-wall, north-south, fast-paced approach DB preached for all of those years? There's no drive to get on the forecheck, to get the puck up the ice. It seems perfectly acceptable to move the puck laterally until it gets turned over. Just ugly.

-Derek Engelland played 15:21 and Robert Bortuzzo played 12:17, and that includes Engelland's 5-minute major. I like Engelland, I really do, but he was on for another two goals, he can't pass, he has trouble with assignments, he takes stupid penalties... I mean, after all this time, how can they still think he's a viable option for the swing defenseman? How can he possibly be any better than Despres, Harrington, Dumoulin, or Mikkelson (who all, I am aware, have serious deficiencies at this time)? I suppose every coach has their Michel Oullet, but Engelland is getting serious minutes when he has done absolutely nothing to deserve them.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Cause Engo is tough as three tons of permafrosted mammoth sh*t.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins