Upgrading the 3rd Line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Upgrading the 3rd Line

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:48 am

Stewarts effort consistency would be perfect on Malkin's line. I want nothing to do with Ott.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:50 am

I'd love to get Stewart, simply for the reactions on here. He would be the most magnificent whipping boy LPG has ever seen.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:53 am

meow wrote:I'd love to get Stewart, simply for the reactions on here. He would be the most magnificent whipping boy LPG has ever seen.

better whipping boy than TK???? I find that hard to believe. :pop:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:54 am

shoeshine boy wrote:
meow wrote:I'd love to get Stewart, simply for the reactions on here. He would be the most magnificent whipping boy LPG has ever seen.

better whipping boy than TK???? I find that hard to believe. :pop:

I'd like to think so. At least TK had his motor going all the time. Stewart's motor is on life support 98% of the time. Stewart would rival Josef Melichar.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:55 am

Why would anyone not want Ott? Cooke is gone and his presence if missed. Ott would bring a similar game sans the PK ability.

This team lacks physical presence and bringing both Ott and Steward would create a pulverizing line.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:09 pm

We don't really want a(nother) borderline psychopath. Matt Cooke was still a good player outside of his tendency to attempt decapitation by elbow. Not sure Ott is.

Also, don't really think Buffalo would give up Ott that easily, considering he was named their captain this year. It doesn't look like much, but I think they see him as a leader to build around.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 pm

MRandall25 wrote:We don't really want a(nother) borderline psychopath. Matt Cooke was still a good player outside of his tendency to attempt decapitation by elbow.

Also, don't really think Buffalo would give up Ott that easily, considering he was named their captain this year. It doesn't look like much, but I think they see him as a leader to build around.

I think Buffalo will pretty much trade anyone not named Moulson, Ennis, Myers or Hodgson at this point for the right trade.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:We don't really want a(nother) borderline psychopath. Matt Cooke was still a good player outside of his tendency to attempt decapitation by elbow.

I think Buffalo will pretty much trade anyone not named Moulson, Ennis, Myers or Hodgson at this point for the right trade.

Unless they recently extended Moulson and I missed it he will be moved for even more picks at the deadline too.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 pm

moulson is on the table. he's a UFA and draft picks were the goal in that trade. plus, a new GM doesn't care about negating the last GM's decision.

ott is a legit NHL player. and a 3rd liner at that. we have 4 guys in our lineup who you can't say the same for. no issues with someone like that coming here.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Ott is good I guess but he has a $2.95 million cap hit. How is that going to work?

Kobasew fit in great with Sutter and Bennett until they were broken up.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:moulson is on the table. he's a UFA and draft picks were the goal in that trade. plus, a new GM doesn't care about negating the last GM's decision.

ott is a legit NHL player. and a 3rd liner at that. we have 4 guys in our lineup who you can't say the same for. no issues with someone like that coming here.

Moulson probably is on the table, but I think the Sabres will do all they can to retain him. He's a guy you use to build around a guy like Ennis or Hodgson. We don't need to get into a buffalo discussion though lol

But yes, Ott is legit and would bring some necessary snarl to this team. I wish we kept Morrow and Cooke and traded Niskanen and Jokinen to make room lol
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:24 pm

DelPen wrote:Ott is good I guess but he has a $2.95 million cap hit. How is that going to work?

He's a UFA in July.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:26 pm

DelPen wrote:Ott is good I guess but he has a $2.95 million cap hit. How is that going to work?

Kobasew fit in great with Sutter and Bennett until they were broken up.

Kobasew, Sutter and Bennett is a line that will be physically dominated in the playoffs...

and yes, as someone pointed out Ott is a UFA. Plus, it's not like salary wouldn't be going the other way...
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:30 pm

I'm down with the Otter.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:32 pm

No to Moulson, especially for a third line. He's a very ineffective player except for cashing for a playmaker.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38 pm

mikey287 wrote:No to Moulson, especially for a third line. He's a very ineffective player except for cashing for a playmaker.

Perhaps if we needed some serious PP help up front...but we really don't at all.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 pm

I did like someone's earlier suggestion about Shawn Matthias, though we're bunching up a bit too much at the center position on that 3rd line. Not sure he and Sutter would work together...but perhaps we wouldn't need them too.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 pm

mikey287 wrote:No to Moulson, especially for a third line. He's a very ineffective player except for cashing for a playmaker.

I think you misunderstood. Nobody was suggesting Moulson for the Pens. It was just a tangent discussion about Buffalo.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:50 pm

sil wrote:I did like someone's earlier suggestion about Shawn Matthias, though we're bunching up a bit too much at the center position on that 3rd line. Not sure he and Sutter would work together...but perhaps we wouldn't need them too.

Losing Cooke was a big hit. I think some underestimate how big of a hit it was. We need to replace what he brought.

I'm not sold on Sutter either. I think we want to like him and want to believe he can bring good things because he was part of the Staal trade, but I'm not happy with him.

I like Shan Matthias and would take him over Sutter. Aside from Bennett who I don't consider a third line player for life, the Penguins need to re-think they're entire third line.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
sil wrote:I did like someone's earlier suggestion about Shawn Matthias, though we're bunching up a bit too much at the center position on that 3rd line. Not sure he and Sutter would work together...but perhaps we wouldn't need them too.

Losing Cooke was a big hit. I think some underestimate how big of a hit it was. We need to replace what he brought.

I'm not sold on Sutter either. I think we want to like him and want to believe he can bring good things because he was part of the Staal trade, but I'm not happy with him.

I like Shan Matthias and would take him over Sutter. Aside from Bennett who I don't consider a third line player for life, the Penguins need to re-think they're entire third line.

Depending on what his next salary looks like, I'm more than happy with Sutter based on what he's consistently been doing for the pens in the defensive zone.

Ideally, and again the cap structure just doesn't allow it, you could have two third lines running out there. One to possess and hound at BOTH ends of the ice, and one (led by Sutter) to simply go out there and shut the other team's offense down entirely. The latter option becomes as precious as gold in a home playoff game.

It's way WAY late on this one, but I had a lot of discussions with a friend last year about Ryan O'Reilly when he was in limbo with the Avs. I'm no GM, but I just envisioned working a trade of Letang for ROR as the centerpieces...and then Running 4-centers deep of Crosby, Malkin, O'Reilly, and Sutter. It left a gaping hole at D, but that's one thing we've got turning in the pipeline.

Speaking of pipes...just a pipe dream now. :/
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm

If we got Matthias, I'd want to see him on Malkin's LW.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

I think you misunderstood. Nobody was suggesting Moulson for the Pens. It was just a tangent discussion about Buffalo.

I must have, indeed. My apologies. Didn't read the whole thread.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:50 pm

sil wrote:

He's a UFA in July.

That's doesn't change the fact this team will be $2 million over once Vokoun comes off the LTIR.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 pm

DelPen wrote:
sil wrote:

He's a UFA in July.

That's doesn't change the fact this team will be $2 million over once Vokoun comes off the LTIR.

Right now, i think that's more of an "if." But, it brings up another point. If Vokoun can not return, or returns with sub-par performance, forget about the 3rd line -- they will need to make a play for a goalie.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Neal for Oshie straight up
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins