Upgrading the 3rd Line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Upgrading the 3rd Line

Postby meow on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:Neal for Oshie straight up

That's....that's not bad, actually. Hmm
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Trip McNeely on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:32 pm

meow wrote:

Doubt it would happen, but its actually not bad for either team. The blues could use a little skill and a shot like Neals on the PP. They have plenty of grinder types on the team (Backes, Steen, Berglund, Morrow). Both have nearly identical contracts. For the Pens, we add a second guy that can score somewhat, hit, and crash the net (Kunitz is the other)
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:37 pm

meow wrote:

I can't see the logic in why either team would make this trade.

I know Neal get some criticism for being a dope sometimes, but why would you trade a guy like him? He's been lighting the lamp since coming here.

40G - 81pts his first full year here
21G - 36pts in 40 games last year

HE ONLY COSTS $5M A YEAR! He's maybe one of the best bargains in the league.

I just don't get why we'd want to trade Neal for a guy who only makes $825K less and scores a fraction of his goals then have everyone on the board crying that we don't have a sniper for Malkin.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Pitts wrote:
DelPen wrote:
sil wrote:
DelPen wrote:Ott is good I guess but he has a $2.95 million cap hit. How is that going to work?

He's a UFA in July.

That's doesn't change the fact this team will be $2 million over once Vokoun comes off the LTIR.

Right now, i think that's more of an "if." But, it brings up another point. If Vokoun can not return, or returns with sub-par performance, forget about the 3rd line -- they will need to make a play for a goalie.

If Vokoun doesn't come back, you sink or swim with Flower come playoffs. If it's sink, you buy him out, coaches are out, make a play for Miller or another goalie (even though I don't think he's any better) and go from there. It's a win/win/win for everybody on the board!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:02 pm

What the Pens need more the anything is someone who is going to come in and be a different voice and have a different attitude. They aren't getting rid of the coach, so it needs to be a player.

This should have happened when Iginla and Morrow came here. They should have taken the Guerin role. They should have come in and not been afraid to call people out and create more tension in that locker room. But no, instead they came in and just wanted to be "another guy." They never became leaders. It was the opposite of what that team needed.

The Pens have way too much fun. Everyone gets along and everyone constantly gets days off because everyone wants to always feel good. We all know there is no accountability in the organization. This team needs someone to come in and be a different voice and to challenge what's become the standard here. They need it so bad.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Oshie is part of maybe the best line in hockey in this young season, I don't see that as a likely trade.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Oshie is significantly better than Neal, I cannot inagine why the boues would dothat.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slipshod on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:06 pm

farnham16 wrote:What the Pens need more the anything is someone who is going to come in and be a different voice and have a different attitude. They aren't getting rid of the coach, so it needs to be a player.

This should have happened when Iginla and Morrow came here. They should have taken the Guerin role. They should have come in and not been afraid to call people out and create more tension in that locker room. But no, instead they came in and just wanted to be "another guy." They never became leaders. It was the opposite of what that team needed.

The Pens have way too much fun. Everyone gets along and everyone constantly gets days off because everyone wants to always feel good. We all know there is no accountability in the organization. This team needs someone to come in and be a different voice and to challenge what's become the standard here. They need it so bad.

So much this. Morrow did a little bit of leading by example, but Iginla was soff. Can Crosby turn from "lead by example" to a "calling some people out" type of leader. Orpik sort of did that in the past but he would be standing in the locker room yelling at the mirror too much.

They need someone to come in and preach "get to the tough areas" to the team. The question is: "Who"?
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:08 pm

I have a crazy idea: how about the coaching staff doing that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 pm

columbia wrote:I have a crazy idea: how about the coaching staff doing that.

Hush yourself... No room for logic here
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:46 pm

I honestly think Glass should be on the third line with Sutter and Bennett. Glass has been awesome this year.

I don't expect him to score 20 goals and I don't expect him to be the greatest passer, but I think he's ideal for opening up space. He's been playing sound fundamental hockey this year while bringing grit, snarl and sacrificing his body whether it's been blocking shots, clogging up lanes and just taking people out of the play.

I truly don't think we need to make any moves, but any comments I've made were IF we did. Glass, Sutter and Bennett combine for the perfect balance of skill, defense, grit and scoring touch.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins