11/13/13 Flyers v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 11/13/13 Flyers v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Shaky Walton on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:54 pm

GDR wrote:It's going to be a real test Friday night to make Carter Hutton or Marek Mazanec look like Jacques Plante but the Pens just might be up to it.

They will make those guys hall of famers!
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:What does Scuderi have to do with losing 2-1 I know some people want a shutout every night but seriously, you miss Scuds. C'mon Man

Yup. Martin out hurts more but the offense is what Bylsma had in the preseason except Jeffrey over Vitale. 1 goal vs the flyers is god awful. Players didn't execute or they did which is a scarier option.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Predicting a 6-1 win Friday.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Predicting a 6-1 win Friday.

For the Preds? :pop:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 pm

Here's a complaint that doesn't make a difference either way:

Why on the final faceoff is Letang the trigger man? Why not Neal or Malkin? My only possible thought is a Lefty/Righty thing
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 am

DelPen wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:What does Scuderi have to do with losing 2-1 I know some people want a shutout every night but seriously, you miss Scuds. C'mon Man

Yup. Martin out hurts more but the offense is what Bylsma had in the preseason except Jeffrey over Vitale. 1 goal vs the flyers is god awful. Players didn't execute or they did which is a scarier option.

The Pens were much more fun to watch when they thought offense first. Now they look like the NJ Devils on offense and defense God forbid that happens. I will have to find a different form of entertainment, cause the ain't entertaining
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sniper on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:02 am

Mr. Colby wrote:Here's a complaint that doesn't make a difference either way:

Why on the final faceoff is Letang the trigger man? Why not Neal or Malkin? My only possible thought is a Lefty/Righty thing

I'm sure it's because Letang is a righty. Although I'd of had Sutter shoot it. Doesn't really matter.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:04 am

sniper wrote:

I'm sure it's because Letang is a righty. Although I'd of had Sutter shoot it. Doesn't really matter.

It doesn't, but i can't understand why Letang would ever be a trigger man. He doesn't have a good shot, even on the rare occasion that he does get it through and on net.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 am

MAF is now finding out how it is to play for a team that cannot outscore the other team. A couple of mistakes and the game is lost. Now you know how frustrated Lundqvist has been for years. When to can't score, you can't win. Bazinga
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sniper on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
sniper wrote:

It doesn't, but i can't understand why Letang would ever be a trigger man. He doesn't have a good shot, even on the rare occasion that he does get it through and on net.

I agree with you, which is why I'd of gone with Sutter.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 am

Out coaching Dan Bylsma is so easy a caveman could do it.

No seriously it just happened guys.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:20 am

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
DelPen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Looks to me like they're trying to overcompensate for Scuderi not being there by being way too passive offensively. This isn't the same team from the first few weeks of the season.

Scuder not being there shouldn't cause Side to miss three easy goals and Latang another 2.

But being passive offensively does. Passive offense = less chances created

Good lord i really hope they didn't decide to be more passive offensively because of an injured defenseman.

Looks more to me like a team unwilling to cycle the puck and trying to do everything off the rush. Other teams recognizing that and forcing bad angle shots into an unimpeded goalie. Team not adjusting.

Yes, while I think they had a few more obvious chances this game then the past few they are getting no more quality chances than any team that loses. Sure, a good bounce would be nice but we cant blame bounces or hot goalies 3 games in a row. They need to adjust and come in waves, cycle and create. It's been three years of this perimeter or breakout offense.

Even tonight while we got some open PP chances its not coincidence we paint the glass 5-5. It seems we are getting quality chances but we are not. Teams keep us wide and let us fire at will from outside the square they created.

I'm even seeing the goalies play a bit more aggressive a step or two out of the goal like Boston did. Cuts off the angle even more.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:23 am

That was a frustratingly frustrating game to watch. We coulda shoulda woulda had 6 goals.

Also, how many times a game is Neal gonna float a weak wrister from 40+ feet out with NO ONE even in the vicinity of the net!? Seriously dude, you're not going to score from there.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 am

Anyone watch the Byslma presser?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:00 am

He was asked "is this team hard enough to play against" right out of the gate. Dan danced around the question but pretty much said no.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:17 am

This organization will never learn.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cu11en on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:37 am

Eh...after five minutes of domination in the opening period without a goal, I knew it was going to be an L.

It's like a mini-series. Tune in next time for another installment of this riveting saga.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 am

SolidSnake wrote:This organization will never learn.

I can't believe they squandered two dynastic opportunities in two consecutive generations by making the same mistake: bringing in player-friendly coaches to cater to star players who didn't want to work hard.

They are wasting the prime years of Crosby, which is a shame. I mention him, because the rest of the 'core' (Fleury, Malkin, Letang) lacks heart, grit, hockey sense, and mental toughness, and none of those 3 players have improved any facet of their game during Bylsma's tenure.

With their excellent group of defensemen, they have a chance to build around Sid, Neal, Duper, Kunitz, BB, and a few other forwards, and still have a shot in the post season, particularly with Martin behind the bench. They need to instill some discipline (but not over-correct like they did with Constantine) and some actual strategy. As for Bylsma, he needs to be fired yesterday.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stevens25 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:07 am

Missed the game but looking at the box score a few questions
Was Bortuzzo lined up with Engelland? (Why?)
Maata played 19 minutes, thats a large amount of time for him, nice to see- Who was he paired with?
Bennett just isn't getting a lot of ice time lately. Any reason?
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:21 am

Stevens25 wrote:Missed the game but looking at the box score a few questions
Was Bortuzzo lined up with Engelland? (Why?)
Maata played 19 minutes, thats a large amount of time for him, nice to see- Who was he paired with?
Bennett just isn't getting a lot of ice time lately. Any reason?

Disco Dan says so. It is good for business
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 am

As good as he's been this year, I just don't know what Bort was thinking when he just froze with the puck on that first Flyer goal. The second goal was just a lucky bounce off the post that came right to Schenn, but that first goal was all on Bortuzzo. Ah well. Get em next time.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:49 am

sil wrote:As good as he's been this year, I just don't know what Bort was thinking when he just froze with the puck on that first Flyer goal. The second goal was just a lucky bounce off the post that came right to Schenn, but that first goal was all on Bortuzzo. Ah well. Get em next time.

He was busy getting boarded. Shame on him.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 am

RxBandit66 wrote:

I can't believe they squandered two dynastic opportunities in two consecutive generations by making the same mistake: bringing in player-friendly coaches to cater to star players who didn't want to work hard.

They are wasting the prime years of Crosby, which is a shame. I mention him, because the rest of the 'core' (Fleury, Malkin, Letang) lacks heart, grit, hockey sense, and mental toughness, and none of those 3 players have improved any facet of their game during Bylsma's tenure.

With their excellent group of defensemen, they have a chance to build around Sid, Neal, Duper, Kunitz, BB, and a few other forwards, and still have a shot in the post season, particularly with Martin behind the bench. They need to instill some discipline (but not over-correct like they did with Constantine) and some actual strategy. As for Bylsma, he needs to be fired yesterday.

Crosby's flaws are not the same as Malkin's or Letang's, but I would level that same criticism at Sid. When thing don't go his way, he gets pouty, sloppy with the puck, loses his cool, and as a result, the whole team follows his lead into the toilet. I would put the past 2 years of playoff failure on his shoulders more than anyone else.

The pedastal he gets put on exempts him from so much criticsm around here.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:39 am

RxBandit66 wrote:

This is dead-on!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:53 am

pcm wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

Crosby's flaws are not the same as Malkin's or Letang's, but I would level that same criticism at Sid. When thing don't go his way, he gets pouty, sloppy with the puck, loses his cool, and as a result, the whole team follows his lead into the toilet. I would put the past 2 years of playoff failure on his shoulders more than anyone else.

The pedastal he gets put on exempts him from so much criticsm around here.

All great points. Bottom line is the team and leadership are still the same and aren't making any adjustments to their game. Good teams are have found out how to get under their skin and beat them. It's up to the leadership, coaching, management to make changes to the system and personel to turn it around.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins