Game 20 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 20 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am

Pens lose 4-1

- late period goals are killers, having one each in the 1st & 2nd was too much to overcome
- MAF allowing both of those goals..... he's got to stop one.
- Pens pplay is frustrating to watch. NJ played keep away at one point. How nice would it be to have a cannon on the point?
- Malkin gets a -3 in this game, just what he needed mentally
- Kuntiz deserves credit in this game. To get smashed in mouth, and then score on the next shift was impressive
- Jagr sticks the dagger in a little deeper
- D'Agostini is getting his chance, but he's not taking advantage of it
- Sill looked a little overwhelmed in his first game, hoping for a better performance Monday.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 20 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 am

-Get to your game
-See you on Monday!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Thank goodness they play again on Monday. And that today is Sunday with the NFL to absorb some of the :scared: attitude and postings around here.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks MCM!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:55 pm

-no zone entry
-no net front presence
-no puck support
-Letang playing bad to average hockey
-Every goalie looks amazing versus the Pens. There's a common variable here...
-Still playing a soft perimeter game

Until this team shows a willingness to skate into the interior of defenses and drive the net or screen the gaolie, they will continue to lose. And if they somehow back into the playoffs with that garbage play, they will be a first round exit.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 pm

This is what i do if I'm the coach:

1. Take Letang off the PP. Replace with Paul Martin
2. Place Bennett on the top line and Duper on the 3rd
3. Bring up Megna and place D'agostini on waivers
4. Make every practice about going to the net and screening the goalie. Anyone who doesn't do this during games, i bench. And if there are too many to bench, i start calling up AHL guys who will at least play the right way.
5. Get fired because the whole team turns against me.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:05 pm

I know it's popular to pile on the coaching staff...some things justified, some things are stretches. But one thing I noticed last night was the inability to adapt on the power play. Super aggressive PK by the Devs last night (and that's how they've been doing it now), forwards high, challenging passes back to the point, not allowing time to set up out high. Power play needs to move the puck quicker, move players into the gap created in the middle of the ice, work from low to high, instead of high to low like a traditional power play. One time I recall them getting it into the middle of the rink (Crosby to Letang, with a nice save by Brodeur)...needs to be better than that.

Need to do a better job identifying the weakness of the opposing team. For the Devils, it's their defensemen on paper...they lack a lot of skill, they lack a big imposing physical presence, they lack a lot of mobility. Challenge them down low below the goal line. Now, some of you are thinking "but the Devils are a cycling team...aren't we just playing their game, playing to their strengths?" Well, yes, they are a cycling team but if you notice, it's usually a 3-man cycle off of their aggressive forecheck. When the defense gets the puck, they just shoot...they don't slide down the boards like Letang or some of our d-men do (which is by design). So, we could take it to them with skill, speed and a little bit of sandpaper.

Instead, everything went high. Huge advantage for an aggressive group of forwards that the Devils have. They are well-coached, they move as a unit. They lack speed, so their best chance to generate chances are from turnovers high...not earning the puck back down-low. We continued to fox around with the puck out high and we did their work for them.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Great58 wrote:Thank goodness they play again on Monday. And that today is Sunday with the NFL to absorb some of the :scared: attitude and postings around here.

Yeah, it's the Redskins turn to make me feel like I've been hit in the head with a 2x4.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:15 pm

First pens game I will not watch in like 2 years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Penspal wrote:- Malkin gets a -3 in this game, just what he needed mentally

Malkin needs to see the Flower's shrink.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Sloppy play leads to 3 goals.

Fleury should have stopped the first, but once again he played well. He isn't the reason the Pens lost. He kept them in from the second period on.

Letang's play worsens with every game. The guy is a nightmare.

Pens need to "get to a new game". The old one is broken.

HCDB is now getting out coached in the regular season. This is what happens when you refuse to adjust as needed.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Why does our 2nd PP almost always look better in 20 seconds of time than our 1st?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the riddler on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:48 pm

I don't like Malkin on the point, he should be on the half wall. He is better there than Crosby is, if Bylsma is afraid of telling Crosby that then he needs to split them up. They need to have two defensemen on the point or why not try Crosby there? I don't think I've ever seen him there for any extended time.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:57 pm

pcm wrote:Why does our 2nd PP almost always look better in 20 seconds of time than our 1st?

Paul Martin.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:26 pm

the riddler wrote:I don't like Malkin on the point, he should be on the half wall. He is better there than Crosby is, if Bylsma is afraid of telling Crosby that then he needs to split them up. They need to have two defensemen on the point or why not try Crosby there? I don't think I've ever seen him there for any extended time.

Yep. Sid is at his best on the PP when he's down low. Malkin at his best on the right half wall. And the PP at its best when Kris Letang ain't on it.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:33 pm

pcm wrote:Why does our 2nd PP almost always look better in 20 seconds of time than our 1st?

Because they don't try to be cute and attack with a purpose. They dump the puck in and actually pursue it. The first PP either tries to skate it in through 3 guys or dumps it in while everyone is standing flat footed at the blue line.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm

They really need to find someone to shoot the puck for the PP. It's the powerplay that is absolutely sucking the life out of this team. They get all of these chances and just pass the puck around until Letang turns it over inevitably. Despres or Maatta on the point maybe? I don't know, but **** ain't working as is, and even if things do get better, the current setup requires perfect timing and passes and we've seen what can happen when that gets interrupted in the playoffs.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:57 pm

wondermoose wrote:They really need to find someone to shoot the puck for the PP. It's the powerplay that is absolutely sucking the life out of this team. They get all of these chances and just pass the puck around until Letang turns it over inevitably. Despres or Maatta on the point maybe? I don't know, but **** ain't working as is, and even if things do get better, the current setup requires perfect timing and passes and we've seen what can happen when that gets interrupted in the playoffs.

We've seen what happens when the PK forwards pressure the points and half walls and we can't adapt like Mikey said.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Maybe if Letang would get a haircut his passes would be better and he'd find the net. Why did DB play Fleury again last night knowing that Anaheim is next. They're going to burn him out.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Wyopen wrote:Maybe if Letang would get a haircut his passes would be better and he'd find the net. Why did DB play Fleury again last night knowing that Anaheim is next. They're going to burn him out.

Burn him out????? Nashville had 18 shots and the Devs had 3 in the first period. If that is burning him out, he should be run out of town. Get serious. They have played 4 games in 12 days Burning him out???????????????????????
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:09 pm

I hope Letang does not corrupt Maatta.
Sid looks like he is lost in space.
D'agostini needs to go and fast
Fleury has to go into the game like Rangers goalies do. Expecting no help and must not give up more than one a game.
Bennett is still lost out there.
Why is Bortuzzo in the pressbox.
Why is Jack Sill here.
Why is Disco Dan such an idiot.
I guess losing is okay if you don't give up a lot of goals.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

We can rip the PP all day, but it's not THAT terrible. Hovering in the top third of the league. /shrug

They haven't been all that impressive at ES either. And this recent spate of games (not counting Nash) where they haven't been able to score many goals, their PP has been chipping in with the few they are getting.

It is a bit curious that some folks are questioning HCDB's ability to make adjustments. I thought he settled those questions with disastrous playoff exits over the last few years.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 pm

I didn't get to see the game, but the comments here confirm my belief that watching the standings should be a thing of the past for Penguins fans.
This collection of players - and perhaps more important - this coaching staff should only be judged by their playoff performances.

I'm not naive enough to believe that they should be considered a cup contender, but the way they lose should be the benchmark for future coaching and personnel changes.
Or to put it more succinctly: the honeymoon is over and those who fail should be dispatched without mercy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm not having much fun watching this team this season, even when they were 7-1. It's really a shame. I''ll probably continue to watch, but this organization is headed in the wrong direction and it's really frustrating to see all of this talent wasted.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby profpolisci on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Stale and all too familiar performance against the Debs. They're 5-7 in their last twelve. Fleury's game as of late shows the tinge of reverting to latter day MAF mean: stellar, beautiful saves mingled with near beer league incompetence.

Is Sid the league's best player? Probably. Perhaps undoubtedly. Could one argue that he's simultaneously its most over-rated player? Maybe. I think the case could made that until he shows he can be Patrick Kane clutch he's deserving of no better moniker than 'best player in the world- regular season' or perhaps, 'best player in the world against everybody but top tier teams'.

What I am sure of is his propensity for acting as if somebody backed over his foot three times when he's game frustrated, and, that his too often petulant response hinders his performance. Off ice, Sid has always shown such admirable maturity in so many areas of life. As for his job, he's learned to improve his face-offs, his shot, and his backhand, but leaves one wondering why he can't control his emotions at critical times when there's a sheet of ice under his feet?

As for Letang, when Bob Grove says "he just doesn't get playing the power play" (Penguins post-game-brought to you by UPMC/Disney grandmother, 11-16-013) and Stan Savran agrees, I'm inclined to think they're onto something. But he's so danged skilled. One can only hope that it will finally click. Maybe tomorrow?

And Geno?...yoy. What is it now, 16G's in the last 68 games? Talking slump? Ovechkin had nothing on Geno. Don't have a clue as how to fix it but am starting to suspect that me and Coach Dan have that in common.

Coach Dan? I'm still befuddled by the Boston series. Wasn't too fond of his Despres prediction either. Hey Coach Dan, I like Englelland a lot - as a potential 4th liner, but do you believe No 5 would have eight goals, three assists and be a plus thirteen down on the farm? You make me wonder.

I know it's only twenty in the book, that they're atop their division in a league where it's difficult to score, but whatever mojo a tight elite team carries in its back pocket seems to me to be missing from this team. The Pens have an elite roster but something is off. I'd like to say they strike me as vibrant rather than stale, but I can't.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins