Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Postby mikey287 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 am

Wait, Letestu's time in Columbus vs., what, Sutter's time here? Who's been better? Sorry, I guess I'm just missing what the discussion is...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 am

sniper wrote:Jeffrey's best game as a penguin. March 5, 2011 against Boston. You can see the difference in confidence between then and this season.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,976&lang=en

I was at that game sitting in the corner to Thomas's right when Jeffrey swooped in to score the OT winner - had a great view of it. He was very impressive that day.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:54 am

tfrizz wrote:
sniper wrote:Jeffrey's best game as a penguin. March 5, 2011 against Boston. You can see the difference in confidence between then and this season.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,976&lang=en

I was at that game sitting in the corner to Thomas's right when Jeffrey swooped in to score the OT winner - had a great view of it. He was very impressive that day.

1. That is the Jeffrey I kept hoping would show up for us, but whether it was his injury or the lack of playing time, I didn't see that Jeffrey the last two years on the ice. I hope he's able to regain that form in Dallas.

2. Watching that video made me miss Rupp.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:57 am

mikey287 wrote:Wait, Letestu's time in Columbus vs., what, Sutter's time here? Who's been better? Sorry, I guess I'm just missing what the discussion is...

Yeah, that's the comparison. But my point is not so much to say who's better, but more to point out that there's not a huge difference between the 2. If we had kept Letestu and developed him properly, we may not have needed to acquire Sutter (granted I'm happy with the trade), but we could have acquired another asset instead, assuming Letestu and Jeffrey were able to blossom here battling it out for 3rd line center.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 am

Idoit40fans wrote:He did make it in Pittsburgh. Then he got hurt. Then he got sporadic chances to show he had recovered. I don't care that he's gone, he blew it in the end, but in that segment of games before the injury, he did everything and more that was asked of him. He looked like he belonged before then. Using "he had 100 games" is incredibly ignorant. His time here ended because of his last 3-5 games here, and was discarded in spite of his early NHL career.

Depends on the circumstances. "Before he got hurt" -- wasn't Crosby out long term at the time? Meaning Jeffrey was getting loads of ice time? (I'm not sure and too lazy to research, but recall that was the case). So, he comes back, but then can't seem to figure out how to continue to get those results with less ice time? IDK, just doesn't add up for me. Either you have the talent to make it work in the NHL or you don't. You can't blame Jeffrey's complete vanishing act on his injury over 2 seasons ago.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 pm

pcm wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Wait, Letestu's time in Columbus vs., what, Sutter's time here? Who's been better? Sorry, I guess I'm just missing what the discussion is...

Yeah, that's the comparison. But my point is not so much to say who's better, but more to point out that there's not a huge difference between the 2. If we had kept Letestu and developed him properly, we may not have needed to acquire Sutter (granted I'm happy with the trade), but we could have acquired another asset instead, assuming Letestu and Jeffrey were able to blossom here battling it out for 3rd line center.

Would have been nice to get Skinner back in the trade but they probably wouldn't have included Dumoulin and the no.1 pick.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Yeah, they just wouldn't have done that deal at all, obviously...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, they just wouldn't have done that deal at all, obviously...

Skinner and a no.1 or Skinner and Dumoulin. Skinner straight up? Are you saying Skinner would not have been involved at all?
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Not involved at all.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Gaucho wrote:Not involved at all.

Yeah, I can't imagine that Skinner even entered the discussion...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:07 pm

I never liked Staal but was told time and again how he was a number two center on any other team and possibly a number one. Big centers were supposedly "invaluable" and it would take a lot to get one. Pretty telling that you think Skinner wouldn't be involved at all. Every time I suggested trading Staal because I didn't think he was worth $5-$6 million , people right away discounted it and said we needed to sign him. I think people now realize that we were lucky we didn't get stuck with his 10 year $60 million contract.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Skinner wouldn't have been involved because Carolina would never have made him available.

He's their future.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:14 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

I never liked Staal but was told time and again how he was a number two center on any other team and possibly a number one. Big centers were supposedly "invaluable" and it would take a lot to get one. Pretty telling that you think Skinner wouldn't be involved at all. Every time I suggested trading Staal because I didn't think he was worth $5-$6 million , people right away discounted it and said we needed to sign him. I think people now realize that we were lucky we didn't get stuck with his 10 year $60 million contract.

I liked Staal, a lot, and still do, but Skinner is a special player and I think it'd take quite a bit to make the Canes even listen to offers. That's not taking anything away from Jordan.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:22 pm

The only reason why you don't really know Skinner is, sjn, is because he's been dinged up. A couple concussions and I think he broke his wrist as well. But he's a terrific player. I remember he was rated like 34th among North American skaters on that list that everyone thinks is gospel here (see: Forsberg v. Pouliot) and I had him at 6th on my board in 2010...he went 7th I believe. Very unique skater. Figure skater as a lad...it shows.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:41 pm

mikey287 wrote:The only reason why you don't really know Skinner is, sjn, is because he's been dinged up. A couple concussions and I think he broke his wrist as well. But he's a terrific player. I remember he was rated like 34th among North American skaters on that list that everyone thinks is gospel here (see: Forsberg v. Pouliot) and I had him at 6th on my board in 2010...he went 7th I believe. Very unique skater. Figure skater as a lad...it shows.

I have liked Skinner since he came up . I knew what an excellent skater he was and thought he could fill a need on wing providing speed for Crosby or Malkin. So the no.2 pick in the draft , Staal, that we passed up Toews and Kessel for, wasn't enough?
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:42 pm

does skinner not being on the table really require explanation?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:50 pm

shmenguin wrote:does skinner not being on the table really require explanation?

You know for a fact he wasn't? There were certainly a lot of rumors going around this summer that he was . Rutherford even said they would not rule out offers.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

I think people now realize that we were lucky we didn't get stuck with his 10 year $60 million contract.

I think, if Staal were still here he'd be putting up much better numbers than he is in Carolina. Some players simply aren't capable of being in a bigger role. Jordan's role was perfect for him here and I do think he would have continued to improve his numbers. Like it or not, he was a major "cog" to the Pen's machine.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:02 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
mikey287 wrote:The only reason why you don't really know Skinner is, sjn, is because he's been dinged up. A couple concussions and I think he broke his wrist as well. But he's a terrific player. I remember he was rated like 34th among North American skaters on that list that everyone thinks is gospel here (see: Forsberg v. Pouliot) and I had him at 6th on my board in 2010...he went 7th I believe. Very unique skater. Figure skater as a lad...it shows.

I have liked Skinner since he came up . I knew what an excellent skater he was and thought he could fill a need on wing providing speed for Crosby or Malkin. So the no.2 pick in the draft , Staal, that we passed up Toews and Kessel for, wasn't enough?

Skinner isn't really fast. By unique skater, I mean his technical ability. Excellent on edges, gains quickness out of tight turns. Speed? Eh, not really. I don't understand the second part of the sentence or second sentence or whatever the Toews/Kessel thing is...Staal was traded at the 2012 draft.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Always found it strange that Staal wasn't ever tried back at wing, after scoring 30 goals as a rookie. Yet, the need for a big scoring winger still exists... The Stalkin days were good.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

Skinner isn't really fast. By unique skater, I mean his technical ability. Excellent on edges, gains quickness out of tight turns. Speed? Eh, not really. I don't understand the second part of the sentence or second sentence or whatever the Toews/Kessel thing is...Staal was traded at the 2012 draft.

We passed up Toews and Kessel and drafted Staal with the second pick in the draft. If we couldn't get Skinner(sixth pick of the draft) straight up for Staal , then obviously Staal wasn't a good pick and not as good as everybody made him out to be.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:22 pm

... or it just means Carolina had no intention of trading Skinner, despite what HockeyBuzz says.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:22 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

We passed up Toews and Kessel and drafted Staal with the second pick in the draft. If we couldn't get Skinner(sixth pick of the draft) straight up for Staal , then obviously Staal wasn't a good pick and not as good as everybody made him out to be.

lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Jagr was a #5 pick. Maybe we could have traded him for Yashin, a #2 pick, if we threw in our 2004 4th round pick...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Rylan wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

lol

just like a teen age girl
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins