Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Postby sil on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm actually laughing so hard at work right now that I'm crying.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Mikey, is the plan for Dallas to use DJ on their third line?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:56 pm

columbia wrote:Image

All twelve fans must have been disappointed
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Gonna miss sjnhiils.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:57 pm

meow wrote:

Is that a puck he's dropping or an "Off the hook" burger patty?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:59 pm

sil wrote:
meow wrote:

Is that a puck he's dropping or an "Off the hook" burger patty?

Wait, I know that rink. That's where the Youngstown Phantoms play.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Gus Fieri has his "Triple D" show, now all you and Crankshaft have to do is found someone else to be the "triple d's " of LGP.

What are you insinuating?

Its another word that starts with a d and ends in a s , not Diners ,Drive-ins or Dives
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:09 pm

I lol'd
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:11 pm

sil wrote:Mikey, is the plan for Dallas to use DJ on their third line?

It's in the mix as the plan. Vernon Fiddler is going to move at some point it seems and Horcoff is rather useless. The most ideal situation is that Jeffrey does the job for them on the third line. Cody Eakin - who is a tenacious forechecker, very hard worker and intelligent player, with mild to moderate offensive upside - is currently playing on the second line. I'm not sure if that's over his head or not long-term, my guess is, "probably" in which case Eakin is the third line center and Jeffrey is the fourth line center and Peverley, who plays wing, gets inserted as the second line center. But right now, there are a lot of different options to go with...they're going to need much of the season to figure out who slots where...lots of internal competition is coming, but most of it is on the wings...center remains a bit of a sore spot minus Tyler Seguin, who has been stupendous so far with Jamie Benn and young Val Nichushkin...

But yeah, the most ideal scenario is DJ becomes a third line center...I don't think he'll succeed though, depending on his winger support. I think he's more of a fourth line guy, personally.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:12 pm

I think Jeffrey might be able to make Chiasson look good. All he has to do is pass him the puck.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:12 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Gus Fieri has his "Triple D" show, now all you and Crankshaft have to do is found someone else to be the "triple d's " of LGP.

What are you insinuating?

Its another word that starts with a d and ends in a s , not Diners ,Drive-ins or Dives

Is it a word that naturally ends in an "s" like "dress" or is the word plural? If it's plural, man, just think of the possibilities...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:14 pm

shmenguin wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:
sil wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:All I said was that it would have been nice to get Skinner.

What would've been really nice was getting Stamkos for Staal. I wonder if he was available?

Spoiler:
:slug:

I think they just found their third member.

It would have been nice for you to get Kate Upton over your woman too. I wonder if she was available?

waitwut? this is the same thing everyone has been telling you and now you're taking ownership of the argument.

or rather...what are you even talking about in this thread?

Was just trying to show that Skinner could no way be compared to Stamkos.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Was just trying to show that Skinner could no way be compared to Stamkos.

All I said is that is would've been nice to get Stamkos.

:pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Man,. I wish I wasn't at work on my lunch break so I could have had a beer with this thread.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out, hindsight is always better even if it looks like the correct move at the time.

Sure could have drafted Toews over Staal and maybe we could have gotten Skinner for Staal, but I bet Skinners eventually high salary on his next contract didn't fit into the Pens future cap plans, whereas Brandon Sutter will. There is a lot more to the picture than just who is the better player. Those are the choices of building a team.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:26 pm

mikey287 wrote:Is it a word that naturally ends in an "s" like "dress" or is the word plural? If it's plural, man, just think of the possibilities...

Yeah! Like 'dresses'!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:28 pm

ffemtreed wrote: Sure could have drafted Toews over Staal

True, but there's no guarantee Toews wouldn't have done the same thing Staal did (want to move on to greener pastures and mo' money instead of playing 2nd fiddle to Sid and Geno).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:37 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

True, but there's no guarantee Toews wouldn't have done the same thing Staal did (want to move on to greener pastures and mo' money instead of playing 2nd fiddle to Sid and Geno).

Would have been nice to have a good captain though, yea?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Whoa this thread went out of control.

I do agree beyond the crazy posts that we should have been able to groom a single forward over the past 8 years so Sutter didn't have to be included in a Staal deal. That was stated by Shero after the trade was made.

Sure hindsight is 20-20 but the fact we can't place a 3rd line forward be it by draft or development is a bit unsettling. I understand Skinner wasn't available but if we are able to groom a 3rd line forward I am sure they had other assets that would have been acceptable - a dmen, a depth winger or something. I don't know.

Anyways like I said the posts are crazy but I think the Sutter trade if looked at is a pretty good example of our lack of drafting and developing players.

We have had too many guys that were absolutely abysmal here go on to be productive players. Maybe not all stars but productive enough to see a potential problem.

DJ could be the next I guess.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Who exactly has gone from abysmal here to productive somewhere else?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
We have had too many guys that were absolutely abysmal here go on to be productive players.

Like who?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:52 pm

(mikey287) I'm off to Montreal (2nd time) for the game Sat. Driving down to Boston for the game on Mon. Been to Buffalo and Washington numerous times. Also Carolina,Philadelphia,Toronto,New York(MSG), Wilkes-Barre,Erie and Wheeling. Was also a former season ticket holder. In spite of this, I guess according to you , I will have to wait and get back to get your "expert analysis" of what i just witnessed.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:54 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
no name wrote:I havn't followed the Skinner Sutter Staal debate to much but i think anyone who thinks Carolina would of made Skinner availible in a trade is nuts. Carolina was trying to get better with this trade and keep their core in place by adding Staal to it. Now i am sure Shero would of taken Skinner if he was availible but he clearly was not.

Shero did great concidering the circumstances he was in but if we could of made a deal with any team i think the return for Staal would of been alot better than what we got, esp. the nhl ready talent we got back.

Naslund for Stoyanoff. Hull and Bozek for Ramage and Wamsley. Neely and a no.1 for Pederson. Marcel Dionne for Dan Maloney. I guuess these G.M.s were nuts also. Every big trade these days involves giving up a roster player,top prospect and a high draft choice. To say that teams never give up guys like Skinner is "nuts."

Sure every GM has their price for a player. But Skinner was in no ways going to be involed in a deal for Staal. Rutherfod wanted to keep his core guys together as much as possible. So Shero had to take bits and peices to get a deal done for Staal. Of course i am just guessing i just think Rutherford ad visions of Skinner Staal on a line and Ruutu and Staal on the other line. As soon as he moves Skinner there is hugh hole in his line up.

In the end i was just happy Shero got the 8th overall pick. Granted if Shero drafted Maatta in that slot he would of looked like a total genius. lol.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tanger58 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Tanger58
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Gaucho wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
We have had too many guys that were absolutely abysmal here go on to be productive players.

Like who?

This was the how this tangent got started in the first place. I brought up Letestu, saying that if he'd blossomed into the player he's been in Columbus, we wouldn't have needed Sutter.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

He actually wasn't too far off. I didn't like the move when we gave him up, but I figured it was a move more for him than for us.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins