Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stars Claim Jeffrey?

Postby meow on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Mark Letestu v.2.0. Happy trails and good luck.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:28 pm

bhaw wrote:The only one who kept Jeffrey from making the NHL lineup on a regular basis was Jeffrey. He's just not that good.

Exactly.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
I won't lose sleep over it, in fact I'm happy for DJ. He's been screwed around here by Bylsma over the last couple years. He needs a fresh start to prove himself.

I wish him luck.

He's been screwed over by being offered chance and chance to prove himself to be good enough to be a 4th liner on this team only to never play consistently enough to remain in the lineup?

No, he hasn't been given a consistent chance to play. He's constantly in the doghouse for minor things. Even when he plays well, DB pulls him out of the lineup and sits him. He'd call up AHL guys to play ahead of him, he played Engo ahead of him. Bylsma has his favorite guys and no matter how poorly they play, they're right back in the lineup, night after night. (see Engo, Glass, Adams, last season)

All those players have proven to be NHLers in some form or fashion. Jeffery had never proven that.

Nor was given a consistent chance. Even when he played well, he was scratched the next game. DB didn't like him and it was apparent.

I find it hard to believe that Bylama would choose personal favorites but if you think this is high school then ok.[/quote]

Really? Doing everything he can to keep Engo in the lineup? Keeping Vitale out as much as possible before this year?

If you don't see DB having favorites, then I'm not sure what team you've been watching.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:47 pm

On the flip side, if you think Bylsma plays favorites, you have an incredibly dull axe to grind.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm sure every coach has "favorites," but I doubt many of them play favorites to a guy who is not discernibly better at anything than anyone else on the team.

Jeffrey was not a very good player. That's why he didn't break into the lineup. He also didn't have anything he was especially good at. When you look at Engelland, he's big and fights, which are things he does better than anyone else on the team. DB has a lot of things he's not good at. Seems silly to push a point that Jeffrey somehow failed on the Pens due to DB, though.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Must have been the player to be named later in the Neal trade.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:57 pm

MRandall25 wrote:On the flip side, if you think Bylsma plays favorites, you have an incredibly dull axe to grind.

This.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

His salary is pretty low, the fact that nobody wanted him via trade speaks volumes.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
He's been screwed over by being offered chance and chance to prove himself to be good enough to be a 4th liner on this team only to never play consistently enough to remain in the lineup?

No, he hasn't been given a consistent chance to play. He's constantly in the doghouse for minor things. Even when he plays well, DB pulls him out of the lineup and sits him. He'd call up AHL guys to play ahead of him, he played Engo ahead of him. Bylsma has his favorite guys and no matter how poorly they play, they're right back in the lineup, night after night. (see Engo, Glass, Adams, last season)

All those players have proven to be NHLers in some form or fashion. Jeffery had never proven that.

Nor was given a consistent chance. Even when he played well, he was scratched the next game. DB didn't like him and it was apparent.

I find it hard to believe that Bylama would choose personal favorites but if you think this is high school then ok.

Crank, I love ya man but really?

Every coach has "personal favorites". It's the reasons behind those choices that are important.

If they're made because of "Hockey" decisions, then so much the better. But if they're based on personal relationships, "not so much".

I believe HCDB has personal favorites, I believe they're based on HCDB's personal "hockey sense". I just disagree that his "Hockey Sense" is as acute as say Mike Babcock, or Bob Johnson. That's not a condemnation. There are very few with say Herb Brooks ability. But he does have favorites. Of that there's no doubt.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby knives of ice on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:21 pm

how HCDB used him was a complete joke. he's made some mistakes no doubt and not been good this year but he has skills and can be a good/decent player in this league if used correctly.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:29 pm

knives of ice wrote:how HCDB used him was a complete joke. he's made some mistakes no doubt and not been good this year but he has skills and can be a good/decent player in this league if used correctly.

Yep. He is not a grinder but a potential 20 goal scorer if placed around half decent talent. He is a potential 50 pt player
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:31 pm

In my mind, (if I was GM) if you aren't good enough to crack our top 6 you need to be a killer and play a physical role on the bottom 6. There should be no room for tweeners like D'Agostini, Adams, Jeffrey, Kobasew, ec..who are neither overly skilled or overly physical. I want guys like Cooke, Ruutu, Rinaldo, Vitale, etc...in my bottom 6. Clearly defined roles. My top 6 scores and plays a more skilled game. My bottom 6 goes out there and destroys people and plays a tough brand of hockey. Everyone knows their role and there are no misunderstandings or guys trying to do something they aren't good at.

The Pens top 2 lines will eventually play up to standard. In my bottom 6 I'd rather have 6 Vitale clones than 6 Jeffrey clones.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Rylan wrote:
knives of ice wrote:how HCDB used him was a complete joke. he's made some mistakes no doubt and not been good this year but he has skills and can be a good/decent player in this league if used correctly.

Yep. He is not a grinder but a potential 20 goal scorer if placed around half decent talent. He is a potential 50 pt player

He's never even been a 50 point player consistently in the AHL let alone in the NHL.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:19 pm

bhaw wrote:The only one who kept Jeffrey from making the NHL lineup on a regular basis was Jeffrey.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:25 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that Bylama would choose personal favorites but if you think this is high school then ok.

Crank, I love ya man but really?

Every coach has "personal favorites". It's the reasons behind those choices that are important.

If they're made because of "Hockey" decisions, then so much the better. But if they're based on personal relationships, "not so much".

I believe HCDB has personal favorites, I believe they're based on HCDB's personal "hockey sense". I just disagree that his "Hockey Sense" is as acute as say Mike Babcock, or Bob Johnson. That's not a condemnation. There are very few with say Herb Brooks ability. But he does have favorites. Of that there's no doubt.

He goes with players who he knows what he's going to get. Jeffery might have a higher upside than Adams but you know what you're getting with Adams. Same with Glass. When you have 10 minutes to gamble with, including PK minutes, are you going with Adams or with Jeffery who is a wild card.

This team is supposed to be a contender. They don't have time to develop fringe players like Jeffery. For 4th line guys they need someone to command that role. Vitale did that. Kobasew did that this preseason. Glass is bringing it this year. D'Agostini is playing well lately. Jeffery, other than that one game against Boston, has never brought what was needed to this team consistently.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Aseeya
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:35 pm

I've said it before (and it's been said by others before), Jeffrey is a guy who is too soft to play in the bottom 6 and not skilled enough to play in the top 6. He's not specialized like a Craig Adams, a Tanner Glass, a Chuck Kobasew, etc. He doesn't (or should I say, didn't) fit into a specific role on the team aside from an injury plug.

That's why he was waived.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

It's a good thing we've got D'Agostini around. Though he almost makes me miss Boychuk.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:56 pm

We were often told that Kennedy and Jeffrey were two of their better prospects in their system and that this was their year and chance to break through. So much for all of the optimism that we had that we might actually see that come true. Having not many forward prospects in our system that are NHL ready makes me wonder if this was the right move.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Kennedy broke through years ago.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:26 pm

How anyone could be concerned about losing a non-factor player like this confounds me. He's had ZERO impact on this team for the past 2 seasons.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Gaucho wrote:Kennedy broke through years ago.

like in 2008 when Gary Roberts was still on the team. He's 27 and has a combined 450 games on his resume (regular season and playoffs.)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Rylan wrote:

He only gets those points if he's on a top unit power play for some other team. And no team is bad enough for that to happen. So anyways ...those aren't attainable stats for him.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Pitts wrote:How anyone could be concerned about losing a non-factor player like this confounds me. He's had ZERO impact on this team for the past 2 seasons.

agree. I'm all for a good panic, but this is silly.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins