Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stars Claim Jeffrey?

Postby columbia on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:50 pm

He was a reasonable utility knife in the past, but that time was obviously over.....so no loss here at all.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:Kennedy broke through years ago.

Was meant to show that both never attained the potential and upside we thought they had.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Rylan wrote:
knives of ice wrote:how HCDB used him was a complete joke. he's made some mistakes no doubt and not been good this year but he has skills and can be a good/decent player in this league if used correctly.

Yep. He is not a grinder but a potential 20 goal scorer if placed around half decent talent. He is a potential 50 pt player

He only gets those points if he's on a top unit power play for some other team. And no team is bad enough for that to happen. So anyways ...those aren't attainable stats for him.

I disagree. I'd say he's got an equal talent level to Sutter, well-balanced but more offensively oriented vs Sutter's defensive orientation. I could easily see Jeffrey putting up similar numbers playing 3rd line center for a good team.

The difference between the two has been in their development. Sutter turned pro and was immediately put into a contributing role. He took a year to figure it out, and then did. Jeffrey produced well in the AHL for a couple years, then got a couple cups of coffee on a stacked NHL squad, produced well, but was sent back down... when he finally got a chance because of he injuries, he broke his leg. Last year, he never even got a chance before the Pens brought in Boychuk. The organization's lack of faith in him was repaid equally.

Hopefully he regains his confidence and becomes the player he can. He'll then join a growing list of ex-Pens prospects who failed to develop here, but turned into valuable contributors on other teams.

Meanwhile, we'll go back to talking about the lack of organizational depth at forward and Shero's drafting...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Rylan wrote:
knives of ice wrote:how HCDB used him was a complete joke. he's made some mistakes no doubt and not been good this year but he has skills and can be a good/decent player in this league if used correctly.

Yep. He is not a grinder but a potential 20 goal scorer if placed around half decent talent. He is a potential 50 pt player

He only gets those points if he's on a top unit power play for some other team. And no team is bad enough for that to happen. So anyways ...those aren't attainable stats for him.

I disagree. I'd say he's got an equal talent level to Sutter, well-balanced but more offensively oriented vs Sutter's defensive orientation. I could easily see Jeffrey putting up similar numbers playing 3rd line center for a good team.

The difference between the two has been in their development. Sutter turned pro and was immediately put into a contributing role. He took a year to figure it out, and then did. Jeffrey produced well in the AHL for a couple years, then got a couple cups of coffee on a stacked NHL squad, produced well, but was sent back down... when he finally got a chance because of he injuries, he broke his leg. Last year, he never even got a chance before the Pens brought in Boychuk. The organization's lack of faith in him was repaid equally.

Hopefully he regains his confidence and becomes the player he can. He'll then join a growing list of ex-Pens prospects who failed to develop here, but turned into valuable contributors on other teams.

Meanwhile, we'll go back to talking about the lack of organizational depth at forward and Shero's drafting...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Never the same after his knee injury. Not suited for the wing, no room to play center. Best of luck to him. Too bad we couldn't have grabbed a 4th rounder for him like we did for letestu
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Bylsma has favorites and Jeffrey was not given a good shot for a long time. When he did play, he neither forced the hand for more time nor played his way out of the lineup. Then this year came alone and he played himself off the team. That last start was abysmal and he did himself nofavors before that. I think hes an NHLer, but he needed to continue elsewhere. The Pens wont miss what he was offering them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I've said it before (and it's been said by others before), Jeffrey is a guy who is too soft to play in the bottom 6 and not skilled enough to play in the top 6. He's not specialized like a Craig Adams, a Tanner Glass, a Chuck Kobasew, etc. He doesn't (or should I say, didn't) fit into a specific role on the team aside from an injury plug.

That's why he was waived.

Why is Dupuis on the top line with Crosby and why do others want him moved to the third line? Is he really skilled enough to be on the number one line or is he physical enough to play on the third line? I don't think you can lump players into only those two categories. You need a mix of of toughness and skill through all four lines if you want balanced and secondary scoring.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:53 pm

... and Jeffrey didn't have that.

There's a humungous difference between Pascal Dupuis and Dustin Jeffrey. I don't really know why you're trying to make the comparison there. They're 2 completely different players with very little similarity between them.

Things Pascal Dupuis does better than Jeffrey/things that Dupuis can do that Jeffrey can't:

- Speed
- Hockey sense
- The ability to maintain a relatively high level of play
- The ability to hold a spot in an NHL lineup
- Goal Scoring
- Did I mention speed?
- PK ability
- The ability to not make crippling turnovers
- Offensive awareness
- Defensive Awareness
- A better shot

... do I need to keep going? That's probably not even a half-full list. Dupuis has shown he can play on the 1st line and be a good complimentary player to Sidney Crosby. Dustin Jeffrey has shown that he doesn't even deserve a roster spot on this team.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:19 pm

It wasn't a matter of if, but when. Good luck to him. He deserves a shot elsewhere.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:... and Jeffrey didn't have that.

There's a humungous difference between Pascal Dupuis and Dustin Jeffrey. I don't really know why you're trying to make the comparison there. They're 2 completely different players with very little similarity between them.

Things Pascal Dupuis does better than Jeffrey/things that Dupuis can do that Jeffrey can't:

- Speed
- Hockey sense
- The ability to maintain a relatively high level of play
- The ability to hold a spot in an NHL lineup
- Goal Scoring
- Did I mention speed?
- PK ability
- The ability to not make crippling turnovers
- Offensive awareness
- Defensive Awareness
- A better shot

... do I need to keep going? That's probably not even a half-full list. Dupuis has shown he can play on the 1st line and be a good complimentary player to Sidney Crosby. Dustin Jeffrey has shown that he doesn't even deserve a roster spot on this team.

I don't remember him playing on the first line before he came here. Wasn't saying Jeffrey was better than Dupuis, only that I didn't think Dupuis fit into your 2 categories of top six and bottom six. Like you told me "This is a discussion board. Take a chill pill."
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:58 pm

I think DJ has some hockey sense. But yeah, he's not really in any sort of niche in this league...he would be a terrific AHLer though.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:37 pm

mikey287 wrote:I think DJ has some hockey sense. But yeah, he's not really in any sort of niche in this league...he would be a terrific AHLer though.

So why would Dallas claim him?
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Jeffrey is a NHL player, just not in Pittsburgh. Dallas needs some center helper. Let's not make a big deal about this.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:49 pm

I really think Jeffrey has gotten an unfair shake here. He shined when the Pens had all those injuries then was pushed back into obscurity when everyone healthy...got injured and it seems that since then he never got a fair shot to really show what he's got since coming back.

I think he'll do well in Dallas and will get a real shot. He's got all the tools really become a solid hockey player.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:57 pm

meow wrote:Jeffrey is a NHL player, just not in Pittsburgh. Dallas needs some center helper. Let's not make a big deal about this.

Wasn't making a big deal, just questioning if it was the right decision. There is a difference.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:03 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
meow wrote:Jeffrey is a NHL player, just not in Pittsburgh. Dallas needs some center helper. Let's not make a big deal about this.

Wasn't making a big deal, just questioning if it was the right decision. There is a difference.

The only problem I have is that he wasn't traded. Letting him go for nothing isn't ideal, but it's good to get him out of the system. We don't need his skill set so it's best for everyone involved if he goes somewhere he has a better chance of playing regularly.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Look at the + side it gives the pens more cap room
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:35 pm

sjnhiils wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I think DJ has some hockey sense. But yeah, he's not really in any sort of niche in this league...he would be a terrific AHLer though.

So why would Dallas claim him?

They've liked Jeffrey for a while now. He's from Jim Nill's territory anyhow. He's a smart player that they believe they can use. With Vernon Fiddler on the outs there, maybe they think he can provide them some center depth...the organization is on red alert adding d-men and centers for the last 12 months or so. Players can carve out niches under different circumstances and thus the Stars are giving it a shot. He serves as an upgrade over some of the other players that are in that role, like Travis Morin currently. Similarly, Ryan Garbutt and Lane Macdermid are only so-so in their roles. The only thing I'm a tiny bit surprised about is that they don't try Colton Sceviour instead of claiming Jeffrey...but they must have their own internal reasons for that, of which I'm unaware.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:16 am

meow wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

The only problem I have is that he wasn't traded. Letting him go for nothing isn't ideal, but it's good to get him out of the system. We don't need his skill set so it's best for everyone involved if he goes somewhere he has a better chance of playing regularly.

Yea it's probably best. The one thing that scares me is that Jeffrey seemed to provide some more puck possession and the fourth line spent more time in the offensive zone. Glass, Adams and Vitale seem like they get bottled up in their own zone occasionally and they can't get the puck out. I'm sure he is happy for the opportunity to prove himself.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:40 am

DJ has a decent skill set, but for a bottom 6 he doesn't provide enough grit and as a top 6 he doesn't score enough, at least at this level. He wins draws and can do some of the little things, but he was clearly pressing in Pittsburgh and I think he gripped his stick too tight and as a result made some bad turnovers at inopportune times. A change of scenery will do him good, and at the very least, he'll be a great AHL'er.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:10 am

I always liked Jeffrey. I'm surprised he's lasted this long with the Penguins honestly. I'd of wanted out long before now if I were him.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:25 am

No worries, we still have Jeffery.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:06 am

My opinions of Jeffrey aside, how many games qualifies as "given a chance"? He has played 100 NHL games. I do not see how anyone can put that into a "not given a chance" category.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kharlamov on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:09 am

Good bye
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 am

Sad to see him go but he is a dime a dozen. He put together a few good games early in his Pens tenure after that lack of playing time and oportunties he just didn't fit in with the big club. It was time for fresh blood in the line up. Sill, Megna can do what he could do and they both give you a little more physical play.

Wish him good luck in Dallas. Least he will know Goligoski when he gts there.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins