Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stars Claim Jeffrey?

Postby DelPen on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:12 am

Bottom line he played so bad that Shero couldn't get a low pick or crappy prospect in the AHL for him.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:33 am

Jim wrote:My opinions of Jeffrey aside, how many games qualifies as "given a chance"? He has played 100 NHL games. I do not see how anyone can put that into a "not given a chance" category.

Good lord, I didn't realize he got that many games. And people are still complaining!
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 am

This reeks of ignorance. How many of those games occurred post injury? Before he got hurt he was forcing his way in and up the lineup.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 am

People can't seem to let go of a 12 points in 25 games stretch where he was the 1st/2nd line center with everyone out.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:This reeks of ignorance. How many of those games occurred post injury? Before he got hurt he was forcing his way in and up the lineup.

I fail to see what his injury has to do with it. Should the Pens just keep him around for a decade to see if it gets better for him?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 am

Good article on Lovejoy in the Trib today. Said Lovejoy, "It was stressful,It was hard. Being a Penguin wasn't easy." Dave Molinari went on to say "A turnover in Game 2 against Philadelphia in th 2012 SCP seemed to seal his fate, and he was traded early in the following season." Tangradi seemed to echo the same sentiment when he left. Maybe Jeffrey felt the same way. Meanwhile we continue to see turnover after turnover,behind the back cross ice passes and drop passes that end up going the other way. Lovejoy said that "Pittsburgh has obviously been incredibly successful playing the style they play,and when it works,it's so pretty,so good." They don't need to be pretty and right now it is obviously not working.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 am

DelPen wrote:Bottom line he played so bad that Shero couldn't get a low pick or crappy prospect in the AHL for him.

Your spot on there, plus why offer anything for him if you can just wait to pluck him off the waiver wire.

maybe he will have some success else where like Lovejoy and Letestu had.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 am

sjnhiils wrote:Good article on Lovejoy in the Trib today. Said Lovejoy, "It was stressful,It was hard. Being a Penguin wasn't easy." Dave Molinari went on to say "A turnover in Game 2 against Philadelphia in th 2012 SCP seemed to seal his fate, and he was traded early in the following season." Tangradi seemed to echo the same sentiment when he left. Maybe Jeffrey felt the same way. Meanwhile we continue to see turnover after turnover,behind the back cross ice passes and drop passes that end up going the other way. Lovejoy said that "Pittsburgh has obviously been incredibly successful playing the style they play,and when it works,it's so pretty,so good." They don't need to be pretty and right now it is obviously not working.

I think most of us would agree with this. We are tired of seeing pretty. We just want to see results.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 am

Good.

I used to be a huge fan before his big knee injury. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt until this season...turnovers from him at/around the blueline have led to 3-4 goals in the past few weeks. It enraged me when he was put in the lineup over Vitale.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slipshod on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Beveridge wrote:Must have been the player to be named later in the Neal trade.

:D My first thought too.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Good luck DJ!
He's got pretty good instincts around the net and that's about the extent of what I can say about him.
The rest is just kinda meh. We'll see.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Devils 11/16/13

Postby hudlander on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:56 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Just got a text that the Stars claimed Dustin Jeffrey off waivers.

I wonder if DK still thinks he is a top six forward.
hudlander

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:This reeks of ignorance. How many of those games occurred post injury? Before he got hurt he was forcing his way in and up the lineup.

I fail to see what his injury has to do with it. Should the Pens just keep him around for a decade to see if it gets better for him?

You don't see what his injury has to do with this discussion? People talk about him playing 100 games as if he has been coughing up turnovers for goals each game for 100 games. At this point in his NHL career its been 2 very clear segments. Play before the injury and play after the injury.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Pitts wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:Good article on Lovejoy in the Trib today. Said Lovejoy, "It was stressful,It was hard. Being a Penguin wasn't easy." Dave Molinari went on to say "A turnover in Game 2 against Philadelphia in th 2012 SCP seemed to seal his fate, and he was traded early in the following season." Tangradi seemed to echo the same sentiment when he left. Maybe Jeffrey felt the same way. Meanwhile we continue to see turnover after turnover,behind the back cross ice passes and drop passes that end up going the other way. Lovejoy said that "Pittsburgh has obviously been incredibly successful playing the style they play,and when it works,it's so pretty,so good." They don't need to be pretty and right now it is obviously not working.

I think most of us would agree with this. We are tired of seeing pretty. We just want to see results.

Lovejoy was ok and I understand his resentment. Tangradi had every opportunity in the world and he was not good... or the fastest.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Stars claim Jeffrey off Waivers

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 pm

He doesn't strike me as resentful in that interview.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Why would he be?
He got a chance to play a significant role and a new contract.

Sounds like a win/win.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Jeffrey's best game as a penguin. March 5, 2011 against Boston. You can see the difference in confidence between then and this season.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,976&lang=en
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:49 pm

His knee injury has absolutely devastated his skating.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:

You don't see what his injury has to do with this discussion? People talk about him playing 100 games as if he has been coughing up turnovers for goals each game for 100 games. At this point in his NHL career its been 2 very clear segments. Play before the injury and play after the injury.

No, I do not. Players get injured all the time. In most cases, you don't really look at their careers as pre and post injury. Most players are able to overcome and succeed. Jeffrey just didn't have what it takes to make it here in Pittsburgh.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:17 pm

He did make it in Pittsburgh. Then he got hurt. Then he got sporadic chances to show he had recovered. I don't care that he's gone, he blew it in the end, but in that segment of games before the injury, he did everything and more that was asked of him. He looked like he belonged before then. Using "he had 100 games" is incredibly ignorant. His time here ended because of his last 3-5 games here, and was discarded in spite of his early NHL career.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Hard to call playing two or three games on a line with Craig Adams before getting scratched for a dozen more a chance. There comes a time when a coach needs to let mistakes happen so players learn.I'm not advocating Jeffrey was a good fit for this team, but he got the classic Bylsma treatment. Forwards are one story since breaking that top six requires the right player, but it's still vomit worthy to see Brian Strait and Ben Lovejoy blossom elsewhere and despres and bortuzzo rot away in favor of Deryk F'in Engelland.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 pm

Don't forget Letestu, who's been arguably a better player than Sutter.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Yeah...? :?:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 pm

You must only be looking at the stat line, if you think Letestu has been better than Staal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Sutter, not Staal. And yes I'd say the comparison between Letestu and Sutter is close enough that one could argue either way. Obviously they are different players. But they both play 3rd line center, get the same # of minutes. Sutter gets more defensive responsibilities. Letestu outscored Sutter offensively 150% last year. There's definitely not a huge difference there, other than pedigree (undrafted vs 1st rnd pick).
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins