Another "Core" Performance

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Another "Core" Performance

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Last night's game was consistent, and typical as it showcased the Penguins' core players doing what they do best, night in and night out:

1) A Malkin turnover that led to a shorthanded chance....(but he's missing James Neal...oh, wait...)
2) A Letang turnover that led to a goal. (He was tripped, I tell you!!)
3) A soft floater let in by the Flower. (He couldn't see the puck. Traffic in front...now there's an idea :idea: )
4) A Crosby spin-o-rama backhand pass right to an opposing player. (He was trying to create something.)
5) 0-for-fill in the blank on the power play. (But they got a lot of shots.)

Don't worry, it's only November. It's only the regular season. They are saving their best performances for the playoffs...just you wait.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Another "Core" Performance

Postby meow on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Maybe it's time you find another team to follow
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:28 pm

All very interesting and unique points. It's strange that none of these obvious deficiencies are being talked about in any other thread...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:29 pm

mikey287 wrote:All very interesting and unique points. It's strange that none of these obvious deficiencies are being talked about in any other thread...
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Feel better?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:30 pm

The whole point of my post is that their play is so predictably bad that it's actually becoming comical. It wasn't intended to be expert analysis. We all know these problems exist. It was a sarcastic attempt at humor, nothing more.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 am

It is just there and I had to

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 am

RxBandit66 wrote:The whole point of my post is that their play is so predictably bad that it's actually becoming comical. It wasn't intended to be expert analysis. We all know these problems exist. It was a sarcastic attempt at humor, nothing more.

Sarcasm on this board is tricky business. Its sort of like a late period bouncing screen shot on MAF. Will he get it... unsure.

Let's agree, we are all frustrated watching elite talent not perform
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:46 am

One thing would fix a lot of those: accountability. I said it last week, maybe two weeks ago, this team is heading down the "country club" lane again. Players are doing whatever they want. Coaches are either letting them or not being listened to. Ownership doesn't care. Maybe it is a 20 year cycle. I am not saying that anyone needs to be fired or traded, but someone needs to pull the ruler out and start smacking some knuckles.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shaky Walton on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:00 am

When will the Penguins get to play against the JV goalie again? Inquiring minds want to know and so do the Penguins!!!
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am

Jim wrote:One thing would fix a lot of those: accountability. I said it last week, maybe two weeks ago, this team is heading down the "country club" lane again. Players are doing whatever they want. Coaches are either letting them or not being listened to. Ownership doesn't care. Maybe it is a 20 year cycle. I am not saying that anyone needs to be fired or traded, but someone needs to pull the ruler out and start smacking some knuckles.

Is it really a cycle if it never ends? This has always been a more "laid back" club.....maybe being owned by Mario has something to do with it? He was never a big fan of structure and strict rules.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 am

The Pens made it back to two straight SCFs.
How does that fit into the top-down country club narrative?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:17 am

MarioLives wrote:
Jim wrote:One thing would fix a lot of those: accountability. I said it last week, maybe two weeks ago, this team is heading down the "country club" lane again. Players are doing whatever they want. Coaches are either letting them or not being listened to. Ownership doesn't care. Maybe it is a 20 year cycle. I am not saying that anyone needs to be fired or traded, but someone needs to pull the ruler out and start smacking some knuckles.

Is it really a cycle if it never ends? This has always been a more "laid back" club.....maybe being owned by Mario has something to do with it? He was never a big fan of structure and strict rules.

Pre-1993 there was accountability. Then Mario took control and booted out one of the best coaches in the history of the game (who went on to win more Cups elsewhere). Mid-90's through 2000ish no one cared about anything except having fun. Mid-00's they started seeming to care again as players wanted to get better and staff wanted them to get better. In 2011 the desire took a downturn and last year the accountability just fell off the cliff.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:08 am

Fire Mario!
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:13 am

I'm pretty sure "country club lane" is in full on mode....It starts from the top down, IMO...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

Fire Obama!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:24 am

Fire Merkel!
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:25 am

I'd rather just burn her, but ok.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 am

Ouch.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:19 pm

I hear the "country club" term thrown around a lot here - I don't know what that means.

Sure, not benching someone that needs to be benched - that might be an obvious example for us. But do we have insiders here, who are at the closed practices or in the lockerroom, who know that it's a country club atmosphere? Or is this just a term people like to toss around after a few losses, because it sounds good?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:21 pm

They're looking into an arena deal on Hilton Head; take that FWIW.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Steve on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 pm

columbia wrote:They're looking into an arena deal on Hilton Head; take that FWIW.

If that is directed at me, then I think I know the answers to my questions. 8-)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Steve wrote:I hear the "country club" term thrown around a lot here - I don't know what that means.

Sure, not benching someone that needs to be benched - that might be an obvious example for us. But do we have insiders here, who are at the closed practices or in the lockerroom, who know that it's a country club atmosphere? Or is this just a term people like to toss around after a few losses, because it sounds good?

Country club, in my opinion, isn't just tossed around lightly. It isn't, however, based on any inside knowledge. From my perspective, country club pertains to the team not making changes, not following the coach's system, players not being held accountable (based on ice time, etc) for mistakes and, more importantly, repeat mistakes. It's not a scientific thing, but I think it's far from a term used to define a few losses.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Steve wrote:I hear the "country club" term thrown around a lot here - I don't know what that means.

Country club, in my opinion, isn't just tossed around lightly. It isn't, however, based on any inside knowledge. From my perspective, country club pertains to the team not making changes, not following the coach's system, players not being held accountable (based on ice time, etc) for mistakes and, more importantly, repeat mistakes. It's not a scientific thing, but I think it's far from a term used to define a few losses.

Exactly. It is a sense of the players just doing what they want, having fun but not having any desire or drive or accountability. Just show up, have a good time with their friends, go home.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shaky Walton on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:22 pm

columbia wrote:The Pens made it back to two straight SCFs.
How does that fit into the top-down country club narrative?

Ancient history
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins