Game 21 vs Ducks - Thoughts from Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 21 vs Ducks - Thoughts from Morning After

Postby westside on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:33 pm

MarioLives wrote:
Great58 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:Face it folks, we over estimate this team, year in, year out. They are a solid team, but not a cup team.

I agree we are not currently a Cup contending team, although we can be.
We have an unfilled hole in the top 6, either on Malkin's LW or Crosby's RW, and more questions than answers to go with Sutter on the third line.
We have Bennett, who we'd all love to see develop into a legitimate top 6 winger, but not yet to truely do it beyond glimpses and glimmers.
We have Jussi as a utility piece who hasn't really found a home.
We have Kobesew/Gibbons/Megna/player du jour who haven't been in the line up long enough or consistently enough to fit create an idenity.

We have a solid defensive corps, and Fleury is playing well. And a 4th line/PKers who are serviceable.

In my opinion, the next twenty games should be used to see if Bennett can make it as a top 6 winger and what kind of identity line 3 will have. Remaining holes at that point would warrant serious trade considerations.

Too many holes, not enough cap space. Bennett is not top 6 yet, IMO. The 3rd line is weak, 4th is ok. This works in the regular season but not in the post season.

Sorry but why the doom and gloom? We have 2 top end talents recently coming back from serious injuries. This team is no where near where they need to be come playoffs but it's freakin' November. I'd much rather see them struggle now and then ramp up to playing well come March and address any needs at the deadline. And not really at you, but holy crap have people really turned on Bennett this fast? I love how when players are in WB playing well everyone is demanding they get time and how the org. is ruining their development. But if said player comes up and does not score at a video game pace and maintain it forever, all the sudden we're not so sure about them. I mean to each their own of course, but as a fan I would lose my mind if I always focused on what's wrong.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Apparently Bort is injured. It was mentioned by the Nashville announcers during the Nashville game, and people keep bringing it up in GDTs.

Guess that won't stop people from grinding dat axe, though.

Bortuzzo was officially a healthy scratch last night. He's not hurt.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes, and Crosby has a mild concussion.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:48 pm

westside wrote:
MarioLives wrote:
Great58 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:Face it folks, we over estimate this team, year in, year out. They are a solid team, but not a cup team.

I agree we are not currently a Cup contending team, although we can be.
We have an unfilled hole in the top 6, either on Malkin's LW or Crosby's RW, and more questions than answers to go with Sutter on the third line.
We have Bennett, who we'd all love to see develop into a legitimate top 6 winger, but not yet to truely do it beyond glimpses and glimmers.
We have Jussi as a utility piece who hasn't really found a home.
We have Kobesew/Gibbons/Megna/player du jour who haven't been in the line up long enough or consistently enough to fit create an idenity.

We have a solid defensive corps, and Fleury is playing well. And a 4th line/PKers who are serviceable.

In my opinion, the next twenty games should be used to see if Bennett can make it as a top 6 winger and what kind of identity line 3 will have. Remaining holes at that point would warrant serious trade considerations.

Too many holes, not enough cap space. Bennett is not top 6 yet, IMO. The 3rd line is weak, 4th is ok. This works in the regular season but not in the post season.

Sorry but why the doom and gloom? We have 2 top end talents recently coming back from serious injuries. This team is no where near where they need to be come playoffs but it's freakin' November. I'd much rather see them struggle now and then ramp up to playing well come March and address any needs at the deadline. And not really at you, but holy crap have people really turned on Bennett this fast? I love how when players are in WB playing well everyone is demanding they get time and how the org. is ruining their development. But if said player comes up and does not score at a video game pace and maintain it forever, all the sudden we're not so sure about them. I mean to each their own of course, but as a fan I would lose my mind if I always focused on what's wrong.

Not that I disagree, but be honest. What have you seen that is any different than what we have seen the last 4 years? It is the same conversation over and over and over and over and over..... Sorry that is true. Add to that Malkin being worse
Every year for the last 3 years and it is even
More depressing
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:35 pm

We have a better and deeper defensive group than over the past four years. We have more time than last year to see how our current parts fit together, and evaluate our true needs.
But you're right, we'll have to solve problems and fill gaps. I guess I'm just a little more optimistic that we can either prove Bennett as a top 6 or find a trade that will fill that gap. Florida has shown there will be sellers that are even willing to take cap hit to move a player. So even with a tight cap, things are possible.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:43 pm

farnham16 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Apparently Bort is injured. It was mentioned by the Nashville announcers during the Nashville game, and people keep bringing it up in GDTs.

Guess that won't stop people from grinding dat axe, though.

Bortuzzo was officially a healthy scratch last night. He's not hurt.

Basically if he HAD to go, he could. However, might as well hold him out until he's 100%.

Or the mean old Bylsmonster is playing favorites again.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Have the Pens morphed into the 12-13 Rangers?
I hope not.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PAPLine on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 pm

I thought that from a hockey fan's perspective, last night was a great game. Good action, good defense, great goaltending, and yes, the home team won.
That said, Letang was a bit better than he has been, but not where he should be.
Maata has been showing his youth, but strangely enough, it isn't as noticable with Bortuzzo as with Letang - 41 plays better defense.
The lines looked a bit confused early on, but seemed to get more familiar as the game went on. If they keep these lines for a game or two, we could see something.
Congrats to Gibbons, hope he sticks around a while.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sniper on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:08 pm

MarioLives wrote:Not that I disagree, but be honest. What have you seen that is any different than what we have seen the last 4 years? It is the same conversation over and over and over and over and over..... Sorry that is true. Add to that Malkin being worse
Every year for the last 3 years and it is even
More depressing

They have the best team goals against average they've had in the last decade and probably the history of the team (I didn't check the second part). Malkin has been worse. Luckily it's a long season and it at least looks like the effort is there. Probably not the smartest effort, but effort. Hopefully if he continues to work at it he will get it figured out before the post season. Personally, I think he will.

Also the left wing lock is different and it's clearly helped defensively. I can't recall Fleury having so many games with only one goal against and his stats thus far are the best of his career. They are playing better defensively. There is still room for improvement and obviously they can be better offensively. It's too early to write them off as not having a chance. Who is clearly better in the east? Boston is the only possible answer and that team is beatable. Patience is required, but they are beatable. Boston isn't very good offensively.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Gaucho wrote:"To try to contain those guys on a regular basis is very difficult. They have had some misfortune. I've watched all their games. It's not like they're not controlling the game. They're just not scoring. That's the part that scares me." - Bruce Boudreau, before the game

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... z2l8IBl8EH

That's a nice find right there Gaucho.

So the guy dribbled a little ketchup on his shirt/tie/whatever. He did bench Ovie's ass more than once. Bruceyboy's candor shows that he's got a pair of brass monkeys that are the envy of #whereverhewasborn I also agree with him.... outside of a few games in this young season, the Pens have been the better team. The panic and foolish talk that some people are spouting is more "apocalyptic delusion syndrom" than a description of what is statistically taking place on the ice, with the Metropolitan Division leading Pittsburgh Penguins. Let's Go Pens!

Pensblog was right about Lovejoy. Ben's best ever game in the Console.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby suzinpgh on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 am

tfrizz wrote:
Gaucho wrote:"To try to contain those guys on a regular basis is very difficult. They have had some misfortune. I've watched all their games. It's not like they're not controlling the game. They're just not scoring. That's the part that scares me." - Bruce Boudreau, before the game

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... z2l8IBl8EH

For as much as I disliked Boudreau as a Capital, I do like his candor as a coach and hope he continues to do well in Anaheim.

Make fun of his rolly-polly-ness if you must, but, BB is a proven winner and wants to win. His success with the Ducks, a team that can be coached, unlike the disaster that is the Capitals, is undisputed. BB is one of the personalities that makes hockey so great. Nice to hear that he speaks highly of the Penguins, um, potential.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 am

- Letang pulled a Scuderi by getting into the crease and helping prevent a goal. Whoda thunk it?!
- Oh, and gimme Borts instead of Engelland any day and twice on Sunday. But in 5's defense, he has made himself more valuable to the club by being able to play forward in a pinch.
- I certainly hope we don't wear MAF out over the course of the season. He has started, what 18 of 21 so far. :scared:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:16 am

Bortuzzo remains upbeat despite lack of playing time
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/510 ... z2lBvWLbL1
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 am

Sid has definitely been extremely ineffectual lately.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 am

sniper wrote:They have the best team goals against average they've had in the last decade and probably the history of the team (I didn't check the second part).

I didn't check it either, but I think the GAA was ridiculously low under Kevin Constantine. But that team had no hope of succeeding in the playoffs.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:50 am

Gaucho wrote:
sniper wrote:They have the best team goals against average they've had in the last decade and probably the history of the team (I didn't check the second part).

I didn't check it either, but I think the GAA was ridiculously low under Kevin Constantine. But that team had no hope of succeeding in the playoffs.

This team also has the best defensive squad they've ever had.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins