OFFICIAL GDT: PENS VS ISLANDERS (12/3/13)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENS VS ISLANDERS (12/3/13)

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:39 am

I think that's fair...I'm probably being a little dramatic and a little too old school...Malkin isn't going to be jumped in the parking lot (which isn't always the case when you're playing hockey on Long Island...worst place in the world for humanity in hockey...)
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:43 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Kharlamov wrote:
GDR wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 5m

The Penguins are now 33-7 in the past two seasons when Simon Despres is in the lineup.

yeah but he turned over the puck once so he stinks /Bylsma

Simon,
We thought you played a great game. However, there was that turnover. You will be heading back to Wilkes Barre, here is your Megabus ticket.

Hopefully this does not prove to be accurate. The way despres has played since his callup reenforces my belief that the pens wasted a year of control of maatta

Or, that Letang really is expendable now.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:43 am

columbia wrote:The Islanders need to worry about winning the next game against the Penguins, not retribution for perceived slights. If they can do that, they are ahead of the game.

This is the islanders were speaking of though.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:51 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Austrian? G'day mate. Lets throw another shrimp on the barbie.

Ummmm, the folks in Vienna don't eat shrimp on a barbie...nor do they drink Foster's!!

Awesome comeback win tonight. Fleury's save on the penalty shot may have turned the whole thing around. Made his teammates think, 'crap, he's got our back now, let's go get him a W.' Sid was just possessed on that GWG.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:53 am

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby profpolisci on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:26 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:Ummmm, the folks in Vienna don't eat shrimp on a barbie...nor do they drink Foster's!!

profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:37 am

Regarding malkin...If the islanders were showing restraint there, that's the first time that's ever happened.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 am

The Pens have 8 more years of Kris Letang at over 7 million per. Just let that sink in for a bit.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 am

Wha, I had no idea!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:10 am

I think Letang is in that position a good majority (I would think) of athletes find themselves in. They sign that big contract and then if they struggle out of the gate, there is more pressure and so forth and it snowballs.

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but it happens quite a bit across all sports. He'll right the ship, I just don't know when.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:14 am

farnham16 wrote:The Pens have 8 more years of Kris Letang at over 7 million per. Just let that sink in for a bit.

Screw the mushy mushy what will other's think if they sign here BS... He has played himself out of that contract with Pittsburgh. Everyday his value has to be going down around the league because of A:) His stupid can't be taught or coached or B:) his stupid is his stubborn egotistical and selfish personality.

I would LOVE to eat my words, but this dude still has yet to "get it" in any aspect of professional hockey. Sometimes you just have to face facts and say he will never be a powerplay qb. In fact everytime he touches the puck I cannot help but to think his teammates are afraid to drive the net because they know they have to be ready to turn and track down a turnover.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:18 am

Kris Letang is the new 2011-12 Paul Martin on LGP I think.....and we are only 3/8 through the season
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:20 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Austrian? G'day mate. Lets throw another shrimp on the barbie.

Ummmm, the folks in Vienna don't eat shrimp on a barbie...nor do they drink Foster's!!

I think less of you right now than I ever thought of anyone I have foe'd on this site.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:22 am

Trip McNeely wrote:Kris Letang is the new 2011-12 Paul Martin on LGP I think.....and we are only 3/8 through the season

Thats what i'm counting on. Hopefully since the first extreme is way worse, so will be the next.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:26 am

Trip McNeely wrote:Kris Letang is the new 2011-12 Paul Martin on LGP I think.....and we are only 3/8 through the season

Sorry, Paul Martin's contract never had the ability to close the window of opportunity on the Penguin's success. It was enough to sting short-term, but Letangs has potential to cripple the Pens chances if he never "rights the ship." Add in the fact that he is a magic 8-ball in the playoffs in regards to containing his emotions and it's a perfect storm. Playoffs need more discipline than he has ever shown. You hurt them on the scoreboard. You don't take selfish penalties via the stick to the back of the legs in a 2-1 game (last night)... Vanek embellished or not, what Letang did last night sums up everything that is wrong with Letang. Letang only thinks about Letang. Fortunately for the PENGUINS, the zebras didn't make it a 5-3.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:29 am

Kris Letang is a hockey player, and simply needs to grow a pair. Mental toughness is just as important as physical toughness in this sport. Time for him to man up, listen to the coaches, make the simple plays. I'm not sure he knows how to do that. He's likely been catered to at every level because of his natural talent. It may be time for another player or a coach to get in his face. Where's Gary Roberts when we need him?
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:35 am

When someone takes a bad penalty, its not selfish, its stupid. I never got the idea that the player is being selfish when they take a bad penalty. If someone gets pushed around a little bit along the boards and then goes and takes someone down in the middle of the ice, thats selfish. If someone slashes someone or trips them, thats stupid.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 am

I'm not worried that he's the 2011-12 Paul Martin on LGP it's that he's even worse than the 2011-12 Paul Martin on the ice. Now would be a good time for Bylsma or Shero to have the same talk with Letang that they did with Martin. No need to wait till an early playoff exit to improve Letang's play.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:37 am

One bad season (not even half a season at this point) does not negate a career of exceptional top-of-the-game play. Letang could continue to suck like this through next season, and there would still be teams lining up to get a chance to see if he'd turn it around. That's how desperate half of the GM's in the NHL are for a player who can bring what Letang brings. The idea that his contract will cripple this team is "highly exaggerated."

Relax. It's possible Shero looks at Maatta and Despres (and Niskanen, believe it or not) and decides to roll the dice with a Letang trade, but it's much more likely Letang figures out his game ala Martin, and all is happy in Yinzburgh. The doom and gloom is boring.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 pm

pcm wrote:One bad season (not even half a season at this point) does not negate a career of exceptional top-of-the-game play. Letang could continue to suck like this through next season, and there would still be teams lining up to get a chance to see if he'd turn it around. That's how desperate half of the GM's in the NHL are for a player who can bring what Letang brings. The idea that his contract will cripple this team is "highly exaggerated."

Relax. It's possible Shero looks at Maatta and Despres (and Niskanen, believe it or not) and decides to roll the dice with a Letang trade, but it's much more likely Letang figures out his game ala Martin, and all is happy in Yinzburgh. The doom and gloom is boring.

One of us are going to be eating it. If it matters much, I hope it's me.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Yeah! pcm is right! We do still have a compliance buyout to use this summer!

Buy him out, boys!

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:07 pm

If he gets bought out before his contract kicks in, I hope they have the sense to fire Shero. Thats worse than the Bryzgalov situation.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If he gets bought out before his contract kicks in, I hope they have the sense to fire Shero. Thats worse than the Bryzgalov situation.

What did Holmgren call it? "Cleary a gross miscalculation." Yeah, if Shero bought him out before it actually started, he might as well stand behind the podium and say, "Clearly I don't know what I'm doing...guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:18 pm

mikey287 wrote:
sniper wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Jamie wrote:Was anyone surprised there was no response by the Isles when Malkin cross checked Tavares and then towered over him? I could not believe that the Isles did not come after Geno there. Very soff!

You remember things like that, if you're the Isles. You take a number and you get him later, even if it's next time...guys will hold on to these things for years if necessary...but this is a division rival, we'll see them again soon enough, and Malkin is gonna get it...you can't show up their captain and best player like that and think no one on his club isn't gonna take a number...

Good on the Isles for focusing on winning instead of going after Geno right there, but he's got it coming next time...

Not "soff" by the Isles, very smart...they know the stakes, they know how it works...

Kind of hard to believe the Isles were smart there, when a minute later Vanek takes a stupid penalty to negate his teams power play and give the Pens one in overtime. I know he was frustrated by the non-calls on Letang, but that wasn't smart at all.

Maybe they will come after Geno next game, but they didn't stand up for anyone on their team this game. Jokinen basically head locked and dragged a guy to the ground and the guy looked like he was going to cry when he got up. Nobody came to his rescue. Who on their team is tough? There isn't much toughness on that team.

What does Vanek slashing Niskanen have to do with what we're talking about?

They have as much toughness as we do, right? Martin, Carkner, Boulton, Clutterbuck is a big hitter, Cizikas is rough, Finley is massive, if nothing else...and we're talking about Evgeni Malkin cross checking their captain up high and standing over him...it's not like Malkin is going to fight their enforcer...one of their guys like Matt Martin is gonna return the favor in kind probably...I doubt Geno will answer the bell for what he did...though, I'd like to think that Tavares or someone in Malkin's weight class would give him that opportunity before anything else, but I'm not positive they will...

What does it have to do with what we were talking about? Everything! You give them credit for being smart by not attacking Malkin after he knocks JT down, but then a minute later they do something stupid and take a dumb penalty to negate the second half of it. Apparently they weren't too smart. The circumstances didn't change. They still had a good chance of winning the game with power play time. So I don't think it was smart on their part. I think it shows they are "soff." And all those tough guys you mentioned were completely invisible the entire game. In the third period the Pens best players basically physically abused their best players and the Islanders best players or otherwise did absolutely nothing about it. That is a soft team. Sure they need points, but they've lost 7 games in a row and their best player just got beat to the ice and there is no response. You can call that smart if you want to, but the evidence seems to point elsewhere in my opinion and that elsewhere is to them being a soft team.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Beveridge wrote:I think Letang is in that position a good majority (I would think) of athletes find themselves in. They sign that big contract and then if they struggle out of the gate, there is more pressure and so forth and it snowballs.

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but it happens quite a bit across all sports. He'll right the ship, I just don't know when.

This happens more often that we all realize. In 2-3 years, we will all be looking at it and thanking Shero they locked him up all those years ago! :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins