Pens with WBS during Olympic break...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens with WBS during Olympic break...

Postby FuturePens on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:04 am

Since the Pens are not allowed to practice until Feb. 22nd, can't we simply send some of our former WBS players back down to WBS for a few games until the season starts again?
It can't possibly hurt them to keep playing and continue to practice. The WBS are going to be going through a tough stretch of playing 8 games in the next 15 days. The WBS have been struggling lately, can't be a bad idea to help them out also, since they have been sending all of their guys up to us.

8 games of play is a lot. In my opinion it could help them stay fresh and in rythem until the season continues again in 2 weeks. Also, if they returned to WBS for those games, they would most likely win most of the games, thus carry the winning momentum to the Pens !!!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:17 am

I think Talbot is supposed to be back right after the break.

And if I remember right, they said Christensen would be playing in WB/S some too.

I'm not sure what the waiver situation would be for any of the others?
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:40 am

Nevermind the waiver situation, nobody can play in the AHL during the Olympics if they've spent a certain percentage of the year (I think 75%) in the NHL. That pretty much rules everybody out except maybe Whitney, who probably needs the rest anyways. Also, Christensen and Talbot, obviously.

And that is also the reason why Talbot went down when he did, I think.
MrKnowNothing

Postby BJL on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:30 am

The 75% and 16 of the last 20 games rules applied only to players who are/were waiver exempt. Players that had to clear waivers could have been sent down if you wanted to.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:35 am

I still don't get why the Pens can't practice as a team. Yes, some teams have a few Olympians on them. But they will be playing over in Italy. What does that have to do with the players left over here? The Olympians will be getting practice and icetime.
I can see a couple days off with the heavy schedule. But almost 2 weeks? We just got Gonchar, Recchi and LeClair playing decent hockey. :x
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

agree

Postby FuturePens on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 am

I agree, it does not make sense to me either because they are playing in Italy.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that some teams have lots of players leave for the Olympics, and therefore it would create a advantage to some of the teams that do not have many players play in the Olympics like the Pens. Mabye they think that it would not be fair for them to get the extra time to practice. I believe that they do that for fairness issues.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins