Respect for Fluery...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Respect for Fluery...

Postby FuturePens on Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:04 am

I can not believe that it took sooooo long for the Pens to gain respect for Fluery. I'am very dissappointed that we wasted all that money on Thibault because we were not sure if Fluery could handle the NHL. Honestly, Fluery did not need the lessons, or to say, "veteran" leadership. I think that Thibault leaned more from Fluery than Fluery did from Thibault.

Come on, he's spectacular! He was not a number one pick for no reason. Why worry about a veteran goalie if you have such talent that is always ready for you to play. Not to mention that we do have Caron, who is 24 or 25 years old. That's not that young, Caron also has played for the Pens for quiet a few games. He's a great back-up goalie...Remember that save vs. the Flyers...yeah, not many goalies would be able to do that, that was sweeeet !!! Best save of the year !!!

I hope that CP realizes this soon...No, in fact, I hope that CP doesn't even have to consider this, but instead someone else who knows better !!! The Pens have great goaltending in my opinion, Chiodo is also great, and what about Dany Saborin, he's having a great year with the WBS.

Why invest in something we don't need, I would much rather see that money go into a good solid D-man !!!
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:08 am

what rock have you been under? It had nothing to do with confidence or respect for him, it had to do with his contract!
Shinoix

Postby Peter on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:19 am

He's had respect from the beginning. He played in his first year here. It was all about the money.
Peter

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:43 am

Shinoix wrote:what rock have you been under? It had nothing to do with confidence or respect for him, it had to do with his contract!

Hmmmmm... there is *some* truth to the lack of respect comment.

All you have to do is listen to Eeeore and you can tell that someone in the pens organization still isn't confident in MAF
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:51 am

He was just calling it as he sees it, I noticed the same thing myself. We all have higher standards for Fleury because he is such a good goalie.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:59 pm

This is just a summary reply to everyone in this thread.

First off, Fleury played in the NHL in his rookie season. Name anothet goalie that was given that kind of opportunity? He didn't do so hot, though he was respectable for an 18 year old. The Pens wanted to save money, considering they were going nowhere, so they sent him to to the World Junior Championships (and possibly back to juniors) and then to WBS.

While in the Junior Championships, he gave up a horrible goal that essentially cost his team. That was just the start of his poor performances in critical moments. He then went to WBS and was put on the backburner because Chiodo was hot. When Fleury did get a chance to play he didn't show anything, so Therrien went back to the hot hand -- Chiodo.

Coming into this season Fleury had played relatively well in WBS, though he certainly had not dominated. Common sense tells you that if a goalie (or any player) can't dominate in the AHL, there is little chance of it happening in the NHL. So CP went out and got a relatively cheap backup goalie who was an all star two seasons ago. Fleury didn't prove himself in camp, so he was sent down to WBS. He's in the NHL now and getting a fair shot. Please tell me another goalie who is a starter in the NHL at age 21. You won't find one. There are younger goalies in platoon roles, but no starters. Now, tell me of another goalie who played at age 21 or younger and did well. Dipietro? No...was in the minors. Luongo? Nope, he stunk.

It simply doesn't happen that often. To expect a 21 year old to carry this team in goal was ridiculous. Sure, he was a first overall pick, but that means squat when it comes to experience. He has very little, meaning a veteran is a smart idea. In hindsight, Thibault wasn't the right man for the job. But I can tell you that if they had signed any other goalie, Fleury would not be starting right now, barring injury.

Lastly, I'll comment on the money issue. Fleury has spent time in WBS for two reasons. He hasn't played extremely well down there or in the NHL and he has a huge contract that management felt wasn't worth paying when the team is losing. Fleury knows this. I think is he much better served having spent signficant time in the AHL. He certainly has benefitted. So now I'll say this: What happened in the past is in the past. Why keep droning on and on about something that may or may not have been right? The fact is, he is in the NHL right now and doing decently well given the circumstances. He's young -- even still, for a goalie in the NHL -- it's as simple as that.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:09 pm

Well FuturePens glad you could join the insanity that has now become known as the "Fluery Situation".

The Penguins were not going to allow Fleury to hit his bonuses. IF he had a realistic chance of doing so today they would definately sabotage him because they have already made their money in season tickets and they are leaving anyways so who really cares about PR anymore?

Consider the game Fleury played the night Crosby got his teeth knocked out and won it in OT on the road. Fleury was UN....REAL yet would they let him play that very same team at home THREE DAYS later? NO. Instead of going with the hot goalie they sent him down to the **** AHL and the Pens lost that game, barely beat the Caps the next, and lost to Florida 6-3 after that with an appearently injured Caron in net.

They know Fleury COULD HAVE simply solidified his spot as the number one goalie then and he would have had increased odds of getting either 4 shutouts and/or 20 wins. That says alot about how much respect they have for his talent, just not for HIM as a professional athlete. Even then it was certainly not gaurenteed he would hit those bonuses but Sawyer and Lemieux and Patrick would not take that chance.

Since the team will be gone anyways, I hope Fleury signs for 3.5 million/year with Ottawa next season and the Pens get what...2 2nd rounders LMAO. Serves them right for signing a sontract they would'nt honor.

As for Thibault, LOL...well...somebody in the scouting department smokes alot of GUNGAI that is for certain my friend. Imagine if they got Joseph here for 3 years. There would'nt be a Fleury until he hit 25 years of age.........WOW. They were smart enough to trade up to draft him but yet they don't think he is good enough to play until he hits 25? Dude it's time to let the gonads drop in the front office. Draft players who can hit and let your young players play.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:38 am

NIN wrote:Since the team will be gone anyways, I hope Fleury signs for 3.5 million/year with Ottawa next season and the Pens get what...2 2nd rounders LMAO. Serves them right for signing a sontract they would'nt honor.

Draft players who can hit and let your young players play.

Ottawa isn't going to sign MAF to an offer sheet when they have to worry about what to do with Redden AND Chara. Besides, Roloson and Fernandez are currently scheduled to be UFAs after this year and I'm sure there are a couple more in line as well.

You don't count on your young players if you think you are contending for the playoffs. Right or wrong, this team thought they were and acted accordingly.

Besides, no one thought Fleury was ready to take over as the #1 here until camp was well underway. It's easy to criticize the team for the whole situation now that Fleury IS apparently ready, that the team is not contending for the playoffs, and Thibault is on IR the rest of the year and played poorly before that.

There was some opposition to Thibaultm but I don't recall reading much (in the media or around here) BEFORE the season started that said they were set in goal.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 pm

netwolf wrote:
Besides, no one thought Fleury was ready to take over as the #1 here until camp was well underway.

There was some opposition to Thibaultm but I don't recall reading much (in the media or around here) BEFORE the season started that said they were set in goal.

I should be a pro scout then because I saw it like a train wreck in slow motion. As soon as I heard the names Burke,Joseph,and Thibault I threw up alittle in my mouth.

I seen Fleury play and what I saw was an NHL goal-tender on a very bad hockey team. Fleury was not allow to play with the club towards the end when they went on their little win streak and I think that was a psychological blow to him. Obviously he is over it but playing in the AHL with that much talent would offend most players no matter what their age. To me it's just as bad as sending Crosby down to work on faceoffs or Malkin for whatever. They just cant learn anything at that level, they need to learn at the NHL level and that is what Fleury is finnally allowed to do. They stunted his growth but it may turn out OK if they honor him with a good contract this summer. I would go for a huge 5 year deal but im sure Sawyer will be all like,"What!! He only won this many games blah blah im a hockey guy look at meeeeeeeee!".
NIN

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:15 pm

NIN wrote:I should be a pro scout then because I saw it like a train wreck in slow motion. As soon as I heard the names Burke,Joseph,and Thibault I threw up alittle in my mouth.

Everyone knew Fleury was a talented goalie, but again I will reiterate that no one (local media, national media, internet) said anything about Fleury being ready to take over as the #1 untilf AFTER camp started at the earliest.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

good and bad

Postby FuturePens on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:16 am

In this video, you can see that goods and the bads of Fluery...look on your right right under "Video Highlights" to view video.

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/gameday/ev020635/#
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: good and bad

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 am

FuturePens wrote:In this video, you can see that goods and the bads of Fluery...look on your right right under "Video Highlights" to view video.

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/gameday/ev020635/#

Yeah you would like to see him close that 5-hole quicker but I wouldnt call either of those soft. He got beat by good NHL shooters. Playing in the AHL wont make you learn how to stop those NHL shots and faster (contrary to the GUNGAI tokeing Penguin upper management peeps). He is only going to get better and better but you know what? Broduer and Hasek still allow softer goals then those every few games. Thats just hockey and because a goalie has a mind fart now and then it doesnt take away from his talent.

The stuff that you really have to look for in young players is how they respond to mistakes and what they do to prevent them from happening again. Fleury is hyper-competitive (like Crosby) and he can elevate his game to insane mode if that is what it is going to take to allow his team to get back in it. Of course the Penguins had just about ZERO offense in that game, it was incredibly one-sided despite the relatively close score.

When this team gets the experiance and talent in place they will have a potent offense to compliment some brilliant goal-tending. The future is so bright you gotta wear 8)
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins