Top 6 Winger Acquisition Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Top 6 Winger Acquisition Thread

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 am

ace1 wrote:I think Byufgien is exactly what the Pens need against a team like Boston or Philly. Let's see Chara punch Crosby in the face when Big Byuf is on the ice. I have a buddy from Vancouver and he said Byuf used to torture them when he was skating on the top line in Chicago. He'd be nice to have if facing the Hawks in the Finals as well.
Word out of Winnipeg last month was they were looking to deal him. They have a lot of money already tied up on D with Enstrom and Bogosian.

Agreed, I'd really be curious to see how he'd work. Yes he's a bit slower, but Guerin was by no means a speedster and he worked.

Seeing Buff post up in front of the net would open some ice and be a heck of a screen. He'd definitely deter a lot of the cheap stuff that tends to frustrate Crosby as well.

I'm really curious to see what Shero will do. I just wish today was the trade deadline! I hope there's some movement today around the league.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 am

ace1 wrote:Seriously?!?! Chara would snap him like a #2 pencil. Besides, they want Bennett on the third line.

Fine to your first point. I would love to see where you got this information. Because I consider myself well up on the news from the team, and not once have I heard anything close to the team saying Bennett is wanted for the third line. In fact, I saw Shero say he wants Gibbons, Bennett, and Megna to fight for the first line spot, which seems to indicate they don't necessarily want to get a first liner via trade, and they consider Bennett a viable competitor for the first line.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:29 am

Defence21 wrote:
ace1 wrote:Who would you rather have on the ice with Crosby? Gibbons or Byufglien?

Again, what makes you think big, slow Byuf will be able to keep up with Crosby and Kunitz enough to score on the fly, as this team does primarily at even strength? He would be a nice addition on the power play in front of the net, but, then again, the power play is pretty well set, and I can't see anyone getting bumped for him. What if Byuf comes in and can't keep up? Then the Penguins are out the assets they traded and have a burdensome contract that could be difficult to unload and will prove problematic in signing useful players. If you want someone to knock the snot out of Chara, why not trade for John Scott and put him there? He'd be cheaper.

I want someone who can play the game of hockey on several levels and can keep up with this line. I want someone who will be physical and defensive, while also being capable of scoring some goals. I don't want a liability. Byuf will be a liability, at the very least, because of his slow foot speed and incredibly poor defense. You put him on that line and now one of Crosby or Kunitz has to cover the defensive responsibilities, and you lose a portion of what could be considered the best chemistry in the NHL. For what? To punch Chara in the face and take a penalty when he hits Crosby? It just doesn't jive with me. At all.

Good points, but since Buff has moved to forward he hasn't looked horrible. Even the TSN/CBC announcers have alluded to him being better at forward than on D...which wouldn't be hard I guess. LOL

I'd still be curious to see how he'd look. The problem is what it would cost us to get that "look". I agree, it's a huge chance you take.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:33 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
ace1 wrote:Who would you rather have on the ice with Crosby? Gibbons or Byufglien?

Again, what makes you think big, slow Byuf will be able to keep up with Crosby and Kunitz enough to score on the fly, as this team does primarily at even strength? He would be a nice addition on the power play in front of the net, but, then again, the power play is pretty well set, and I can't see anyone getting bumped for him. What if Byuf comes in and can't keep up? Then the Penguins are out the assets they traded and have a burdensome contract that could be difficult to unload and will prove problematic in signing useful players. If you want someone to knock the snot out of Chara, why not trade for John Scott and put him there? He'd be cheaper.

I want someone who can play the game of hockey on several levels and can keep up with this line. I want someone who will be physical and defensive, while also being capable of scoring some goals. I don't want a liability. Byuf will be a liability, at the very least, because of his slow foot speed and incredibly poor defense. You put him on that line and now one of Crosby or Kunitz has to cover the defensive responsibilities, and you lose a portion of what could be considered the best chemistry in the NHL. For what? To punch Chara in the face and take a penalty when he hits Crosby? It just doesn't jive with me. At all.

Good points, but since Buff has moved to forward he hasn't looked horrible. Even the TSN/CBC announcers have alluded to him being better at forward than on D...which wouldn't be hard I guess. LOL

I'd still be curious to see how he'd look. The problem is what it would cost us to get that "look". I agree, it's a huge chance you take.

If his cap hit wasn't $5.2 million for the next two years, it might be worth it. But that cap hit puts him third on the Penguins' offense behind only Crosby and Malkin and fourth on the team behind those two and Letang (beginning next year). Heck, James Neal, who is considered one of the best snipers in hockey, makes less than him. It's an expensive gamble. This team doesn't need a home run. It needs some doubles.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ace1 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:38 am

I see what you're saying about big and slow, but he played on the top line in Chicago when they won their first Cup, and it wasn't like he was along for the ride. I believe he scored 11 goals in the playoffs. And like I said in the original post, he doesn't have to play with Crosby all the time, he doesn't even have to always skate as a forward, I just think he brings an element they definitely do not have. Like Bob Errey was saying on the radio yesterday, sometimes, depending on the opponent, it's nice to have a Dave Semenko to skate with Wayne Gretzky.
John Scott? I'm not looking for a goon, necessarily, I want a guy who can at least play the game.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:40 am

Byfuglien for Neal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ace1 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 am

Rossi and Madden were saying yesterday they want Bennett on the third line.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 am

ace1 wrote:I see what you're saying about big and slow, but he played on the top line in Chicago when they won their first Cup, and it wasn't like he was along for the ride. I believe he scored 11 goals in the playoffs. And like I said in the original post, he doesn't have to play with Crosby all the time, he doesn't even have to always skate as a forward, I just think he brings an element they definitely do not have. Like Bob Errey was saying on the radio yesterday, sometimes, depending on the opponent, it's nice to have a Dave Semenko to skate with Wayne Gretzky.
John Scott? I'm not looking for a goon, necessarily, I want a guy who can at least play the game.

The John Scott comment was a major jab at Byuf. I don't want Scott or any goon, for that matter. I don't think highly of Byuf, and therefore wonder if he'll produce with this team more than a typical big goon would. I realize that's a huge exaggeration.

His ability to play the game is subjective, at best. He can put up points, but that comes from a booming shot on the point and a huge body in front of the net. I'm not sure how much true "skill" he possess. That's okay, though, as he's doing what he needs to do and is producing while doing it. My concern is that, while those skills work fine on a poor Winnipeg team with a lack of talent around him, I'm not overly confident they'll translate to this Penguins team that plays an on-the-fly type of game. It's a quick game that requires quickness and dexterity, as well as an ability to transition from offense to defense and vice versa on a dime. Not sure he can do any of that.

And, while he was successful with the Blackhawks, he also was much smaller and more mobile back then. Since then, he's gained a lot of weight and has lost a few steps from his already slow speed. There was plenty of talk that Brenden Morrow was too slow for this team and there is plenty of talk that Adams is too slow for this team -- and my guess is Byuf would make both look comparatively fast. Whether he's on the first or fourth line -- or anywhere in between -- he's a risky move, especially when taking into consideration his big cap hit that extends two more years beyond this season. If he was a UFA in July, I might be singing a different tune (not likely, but possibly). It's a gamble for Bylsma's system, and I'd rather see someone more capable of playing with the speed required for this system -- while still contributing physicality AND defense.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

ace1 wrote:Rossi and Madden were saying yesterday they want Bennett on the third line.

Until I hear or read a direct quote from a team official saying that, I'll take that as an interpretation or a creative license from a talking head. Shero has publicly stated that he wants to see what the three young guys can do on that line -- Bennett included. I'll take him at face value and take the talking heads at face value too.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ace1 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Shero will still need to address the third line regardless, but Bennett could at least provide some scoring punch. The talking heads are supposed to be providing the somewhat hidden info that Shero is not going to say on record.
Hey, Byuf may not be the perfect fit for the line, and maybe I'm way off, but there have been worse ideas posted. Maybe they could get Nils Eklund back.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Nils Ekman?

The guy who had to retire because he had a stroke? This is a good time to joke about that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:06 pm

ace1 wrote:Shero will still need to address the third line regardless, but Bennett could at least provide some scoring punch. The talking heads are supposed to be providing the somewhat hidden info that Shero is not going to say on record.
Hey, Byuf may not be the perfect fit for the line, and maybe I'm way off, but there have been worse ideas posted. Maybe they could get Nils Eklund back.

Not saying it's the worst idea ever posted. I'm just firmly against it. Doesn't mean I'm right, though.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheBigLebowski on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Byfuglien for Neal.

Not a snowballs chance in Hell.
TheBigLebowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 pm

TheBigLebowski wrote:

I'm pretty sure he was kidding
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheBigLebowski on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
TheBigLebowski wrote:

I'm pretty sure he was kidding

I would certainly hope so. :)
TheBigLebowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Idoit never kids.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:35 pm

I do not see Shero making any significant moves today. We just do not have the cap space.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Pitts wrote:Idoit never kids.

If there is one thing that is true about me, its this statement.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:47 pm

At the beginning of the season, the team was saying they wanted Juice and BeauB to battle it out for the 2nd line LW, with the other guy adding more puck possession skills to the 3rd line, something that they thought the 3rd line desperately needed (true).
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:54 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I do not see Shero making any significant moves today. We just do not have the cap space.

What could be very interesting is the Letang return timetable, just like the Vokoun timetable. If he's out six weeks, he'll be pushing close to the start of playoffs, at which point the salary cap is no longer in effect. If he goes on LTIR, the team will be able to exceed the cap by his $3.5 million, which would translate to a large amount of cap space at the deadline, allowing for a big time acquisition AND a return of Letang once the playoffs begin.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Defence21 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I do not see Shero making any significant moves today. We just do not have the cap space.

What could be very interesting is the Letang return timetable, just like the Vokoun timetable. If he's out six weeks, he'll be pushing close to the start of playoffs, at which point the salary cap is no longer in effect. If he goes on LTIR, the team will be able to exceed the cap by his $3.5 million, which would translate to a large amount of cap space at the deadline, allowing for a big time acquisition AND a return of Letang once the playoffs begin.

:thumb:
Pruezy11881
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

:thumb:

Possible, but I don't think you can put a timetable on Letang and have to assume he is out for the season until told otherwise. This also eliminates Niskanen from any trade discussions, and maybe Orpik, though we still have plenty of left D. Sure we have more cap space, but at the expense of several trade chips.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Defence21 wrote:

Yeah, this is going to get interesting. I hope Shero doesn't go overboard again. Last year was overkill. And really don't want to ship out Despres.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:38 pm

pcm wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Yeah, this is going to get interesting. I hope Shero doesn't go overboard again. Last year was overkill. And really don't want to ship out Despres.

Well, the "needs" have not changed in light of the Letang situation. The Pens are pretty much fine on defense. They need a top line right wing something fierce (Cammalleri/Boyes) though and can use a rounding out of the 3rd line. I'd say Shero may try to land a cheap veteran defenseman as insurance though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 pm

I think Engelland fulfills the need for a vet D. Let Bort and Despres battle it out for the last spot (giving Blysma some flexibility in matchups, as they fulfill different needs). Engelland as a vet #8 is fine.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins