Top 6 Winger Acquisition Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Top 6 Winger Acquisition Thread

Postby no name on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Looks like nothing is going to happen until the deadline most GMs will wait and see if the price goes up after the Olympic break.

I would imagine Toronto Gm is hoping Kulemin puts up great numbers with Geno making SHero throw big offers to get him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Doesn't change much at all I wouldn't think.

Letang goes on LTIR. Opens up more cap space for Shero.

Orpik and Niskanen were never in danger of being traded at the deadline. Letang being out doesn't change that.

Maybe this keeps Bortuzzo and Despres from being moved. Maybe just one of the two? Maybe Shero has to move Dumoulin or Pouliot or Harrington instead of more NHL ready guys like Despres/Bortuzzo just in case Letang doesn't come back.

We still need to improve the bottom 6 in a big way. Maybe line 1 needs to be looked at as well but I don't think you can fill that hole without shipping away Bortuzzo or Despres + in a package.

The best case scenario....Letang comes back in about 6 weeks. He has 3 weeks to get ready for the playoffs and his 6 week stint on LTIR has saved the Pens some much needed cap space to add to the bottom 6 or whatever.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:54 pm

There is no way he moves Pouliot at the deadline. I'll eat my hat if that happens. Video and everything.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:55 pm

And the 6 weeks is just when they will re-evaluate him. It's not when he's projected to return. I'll be stunned if he plays at all this season. The hope right now should be an eventual 100% recovery, both for him personally and his career.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Gotta think there's a moratorium on trading away any D or D prospects until Letang's situation is better understood.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:24 pm

I'd be alright if no moves were made this year unless it doesn't cost high prospect / first round pick (if we're talking rental).

If Pens don't get it done, ship out Dan and Flower (if he is leaky once again). The Pens have this year of a ~Martin system so there are some things in place. If you don't mess with new parts, the problem must be old ones.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:33 pm

They can't ship away any D prospects of note, so I expect a minor deal and for them to bow out in 2nd or 3rd round. Shero didn't put together a good bottom 6 and he has little room to fix that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:24 pm

columbia wrote:They can't ship away any D prospects of note, so I expect a minor deal and for them to bow out in 2nd or 3rd round. Shero didn't put together a good bottom 6 and he has little room to fix that.

I don't see them going out before the ECF. I don't see them beating Boston with this lineup (unless Fleury plays "shut down goalie" mode all series), but I don't hold absolute faith that Boston can clear their division, either.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:51 pm

With all this cap space, I now see Shero going out and acquiring Cammalleri. He shouldn't cost a 1st or a high-end prospect. He's fast and a proven clutch goal scorer.

A 3rd line of Sutter, Megna/Bennett/Gibbons will give teams fits.

This team would then have an identity as a fast, attacking team. Play the LW lock. Get their offense on the rush. Yeah, they wouldn't have the checking-line bruisers you traditionally want, but they could play to their strength, which is the Blysma way.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Cammy will definitely cost a 1st. Too many teams chasing scoring for the price to be any lower.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malksby8771 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Cammy for a first or Hemsky for a 2015 2nd would be the kind of deal I'd support. Draft picks for rentals. We shouldn't move a defensive prospect until we're certain that Letang will be back and 100% by the playoffs. Depth is important and we could always suffer more injuries in the Olympics to Maata Orpik or Martin or to anyone else in the 4 games left before the deadline. And I'm starting to think we shouldn't move Bortuzzo at all if he keeps up his recent play. His size and physicality will be very useful to us come playoff time.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:38 am

I would make a move for Cammy especially if Shero thinks we have the cap space to re-sign him. Assume you let Orpik and/or Niskanen, and Jussi go along with the cap going up maybe we can afford him. I think he would be a solid wing for Sid for the next several years. According to cap geek the Pens have 14 players under contract for roughly $60mill committed to next years cap...

Cammy, Sid, Kunitz
Dupuis, Malkin, Neal
Bennett, Sutter, X

Very solid lineup right there...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:57 am

I see no reason to let Jokinen walk. He has resurrected himself in Pittsburgh and should be an affordable signing. Also, no way Cammalleri gets $7 mil per again. I'd say they might be able to work out a deal in the $5mil range to retain him should they make a play for him. That would solidify the lineup all the way down:
Kunitz/Crosby/Cammy
Jokinen/Makin/Neal
Dupuis/Sutter/Bennet
4th line whateva
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:01 pm

My feelings on Sheros targets for the playoffs.

1. top 6 forward. Even Kulimen for Geno would allow us to drop Jokenin to the 3rd line or even play him with Sid and Kunitz. Big in the bigger scheme I would want to find a RW for Sid.

2. 3rd line guy. If we had Bennette or Jokenin on the 3rd line we could use someone with some one with a well rounded game and it wouldn't hurt if he was mean and physical.

3. a rental vetern defenseman. A guy who is used to the playoffs and would allow us not to play our young inexperienced defensemen in the playoffs. This also will be the hardest to forecast if its a actual need if we don't know Letangs status for the playoffs.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Jokinen doesn't work on the third line and they've proven that. He needs to play with top-six talent to really produce since he's incapable of carrying a line. Jokinen should either play the top-six or not play at all.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 pm

The only way Kumelin should come here IMO is if Jokinen goes the other way.

That being said, the main target for the Pens should be for Sid, not Gino. Gino's line has been great and even if Jokinen quiets down again he's still not a liability on the ice.

Does Kumelin fit with Sid? I honestly don't know THAT much about Kumelin, but the little I have seen makes me think he'd be decent. I do however think there are better fits out there for him.

The next priority should be upgrading the third line followed by being able to upgrade Gino's line.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I still dont get the Kulemin love on this board. The guy has regressed the past 3 seasons, yet he's a top line guy here? Dont get me wrong, the guy can be a solid 3rd liner like he is with the leafs. Kuly and Geno did some special things together in Russia, theres no guarantee that translates to the NHL.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:39 pm

The thing about Kulemin is he's pretty much been forced into that 3rd line role by the Leafs. When he was putting up points, he was playing 1st and 2nd line from what I understand. So, it isn't unreasonable to expect more production when playing top 2 on the Pens (look at Jokinen for example).
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Pitts wrote:The thing about Kulemin is he's pretty much been forced into that 3rd line role by the Leafs. When he was putting up points, he was playing 1st and 2nd line from what I understand. So, it isn't unreasonable to expect more production when playing top 2 on the Pens (look at Jokinen for example).

The other thing about Kulemin is that he is a third liner who plays well defensively and physically. If he comes here and doesn't fit a scoring line, he won't be out of place on the third line, and actually would make it better. In other words, he's versatile, which would give Bylsma and his staff some flexibility depending on the opponent.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 am

A friend of mine who is a huge TML fan explained it like this to me. "Kulimen can be a 30 goal scorer again in this league. His problem is once he goes in offensive mode his defence suffers. When you ask him to play a 2 way game he is not putting up 30 goals." Damned if you do damned if you don't.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Kulemin with Malkin and Neal would be the defensive presence on that line. His job wouldn't be to score goals. Like Kunitz there a couple years ago... Kunitz's numbers were lower than playing with Sid, as he wasn't the triggerman on that line. But with Kunitz, Malkin and Neal scored 90 goals together. Getting a guy there who can maximize those two's potential would be ideal.

But Kulemin is now playing on TML's top line, and they've been rolling. Not sure whether he's a realistic option this year, unless they decide they really want to upgrade their top 6 and need to "make space."
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Doogs on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:33 am

Still can't figure out why Megna hasn't been given more of a look.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:01 am

Doogs wrote:Still can't figure out why Megna hasn't been given more of a look.

Yeah i would prefere Megna over Gibbons, but for this playoffs i don't want any of them. Get me a rental for the playoffs. I might be ok with Megna if he played the whole season with Sid and Kuny and put up decent points. Megnas game reminds me alot of Dupuis.

I would love to see the Pens make a hockey trade getting a long term top 6 guy. I get a feeling if Shero does make a hockey move if going to be for some one we never expected. There was only limited chatter on Neal befor we got him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Doogs wrote:Still can't figure out why Megna hasn't been given more of a look.

Well, he's only been back for a little bit from injury and Gibbons simply did a better job when he stepped in.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Kulemin for Geno would be a terrible deal.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins