Dan Bylsma Approval rating (1st half)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you approve of the way DB is handling his job?

Approve
82%
Disapprove
18%

Total votes : 85

Re: Dan Bylsma Approval rating (1st half)

Postby Shakes on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 pm

murphydump55 wrote:It's when this team is healthy and in the playoffs where I never want to see him behind the bench.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Again, it's not about the regular season, it's about the playoffs.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:But my reservation with him, as well with Fleury, rests in the postseason.

Geezer wrote:The playoffs should define Bylsma.

M10 wrote:Playoffs

RxBandit66 wrote: However, the post season is all that matters with this team

IntangibleBeer wrote:
For me, it's the Cup or nothing.

Antonio wrote: its the playoffs that count.

Gaucho wrote:It just occurred to me that maybe the playoffs are a little more important than the regular season. Not sure if people are aware of it.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 pm

Exactly my point.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Gaucho wrote:Exactly my point.

:thumb:

2009 was 5 seasons ago, hard as it is to believe. That's a lifetime in hockey years. I realize they made it to the Conference Finals last season, but they didn't get a sniff against Boston; they only went 8-7 in last year's playoffs. With that roster, being 10-11 in the postseason the past two years is beyond unacceptable.

As a fan, I love watching the games and would do so no matter what their record was. But if I were GM or owner, my expectations for this season would be Cup or bust.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:24 pm

My point was that we don't need constant reminders of the postseason's higher importance, but ok.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:28 pm

lol
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Personally, I wish there was an "incomplete" option because Bylsma has always been a good regular season coach. However, the playoffs is where he needs to prove his worth.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I give up.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:15 am

RxBandit66 wrote:

:thumb:

2009 was 5 seasons ago, hard as it is to believe. That's a lifetime in hockey years. I realize they made it to the Conference Finals last season, but they didn't get a sniff against Boston; they only went 8-7 in last year's playoffs. With that roster, being 10-11 in the postseason the past two years is beyond unacceptable.

As a fan, I love watching the games and would do so no matter what their record was. But if I were GM or owner, my expectations for this season would be Cup or bust.

Do you expect Bylsma to take THIS team, as it is currently assembled with current vacancies on both first lines and an unsettled third line, to win the Cup? Or do you expect Shero to bring in the needed components first?

I think Byslma hasn't been alone in the postseason failings, so it's hard for me to single him out as a great regular season coach but bad after April.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:24 am

Gaucho wrote:My point was that we don't need constant reminders of the postseason's higher importance, but ok.

Well, what other response would you expect when Bylsma apologists continue to use regular season successes as justification for the Bylsma adulation?

It's only natural.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:34 am

I like the way the coaching staff as a whole is working this season. You can see a big difference in the structure and they are actually altering the game plan / systems a bit. The addition of Jacques Martin might be one of the best moves that Shero has pulled off over the past few years. I was worried that HCDB would clash with JM, but its seems the opposite has happened and the make each other better. I would like to see the entry into the zone on the PP improved, but its hard to complain about the PP with the numbers they are putting up. The PK has been solid pretty much all season except for that bad little stretch in the beginning (if I remember correctly)
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:49 am

Geezer wrote:The playoffs should define Bylsma. To me he's the Bill Cowher of the NHL. Good/Great regular season; failure in playoffs vs inferior opponents.
Does regular season mean jacksh*t? I want to see the cup not the presidents trophy.

This!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Show me The Cup!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:00 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Geezer wrote:The playoffs should define Bylsma. To me he's the Bill Cowher of the NHL. Good/Great regular season; failure in playoffs vs inferior opponents.
Does regular season mean jacksh*t? I want to see the cup not the presidents trophy.

This!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Show me The Cup!

Well, since ya'll brought it up, I wouldn't say that last years Bruins were necessarily an inferior team. However the Pens didn't even present a challenge to them during that series.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby count2infinity on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:00 am

ffemtreed wrote:I like the way the coaching staff as a whole is working this season. You can see a big difference in the structure and they are actually altering the game plan / systems a bit. The addition of Jacques Martin might be one of the best moves that Shero has pulled off over the past few years. I was worried that HCDB would clash with JM, but its seems the opposite has happened and the make each other better. I would like to see the entry into the zone on the PP improved, but its hard to complain about the PP with the numbers they are putting up. The PK has been solid pretty much all season except for that bad little stretch in the beginning (if I remember correctly)

your post didn't mention playoffs, therefor it's irrelevant.

Spoiler:
I'm kidding. I enjoyed this post.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:11 pm

This is an approval rating for the first half of the season, and 10 people voted disapprove?

Coaches are ultimately judged on wins and losses and getting the most out of their players. The Penguins have more wins than anyone in the league. They have been playing with a bunch of WBS players, on defense no less. Their powerplay percentage + their penalty killing percentage is the best in the league. (This was mentioned yesterday on the NHL network).
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm not trying to take anything away Bylsma, but is the Pens success this year really a credit to him or the Penguins brass bringing in Martin and making sure Martin is allowed to have impact on the system?

While it's slipped as of late which can obviously be attributed to all the injuries, the Penguins possession game is substantially better. I'd go as for to say that they actually have one now and barely did before.

I really believe it's having the right coaching staff in place and brass making sure their voices are heard.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Steve wrote:This is an approval rating for the first half of the season, and 10 people voted disapprove?

Coaches are ultimately judged on wins and losses and getting the most out of their players. The Penguins have more wins than anyone in the league. They have been playing with a bunch of WBS players, on defense no less. Their powerplay percentage + their penalty killing percentage is the best in the league. (This was mentioned yesterday on the NHL network).

Most of those (if not all) can be considerd protest or nullification votes.
In other words, (with, honestly, all due respect to C2I), who really cares about the regular season?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Yeah, we really need an option for "all due respect, the regular season and your thread is useless. Happy New Year!"
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:15 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I'm not trying to take anything away Bylsma, but is the Pens success this year really a credit to him or the Penguins brass bringing in Martin and making sure Martin is allowed to have impact on the system?

I was under the impression that Byslma selects his assistant coaches. So wouldn't this be an "and" instead of an "or" statement? Unless there is clear evidence that Shero insisted in Martin's hiring, can't Byslma get credit for making changes in his staff and systems to create a more disciplined team, instead of criticised for it?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:16 pm

count2infinity wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:I like the way the coaching staff as a whole is working this season. You can see a big difference in the structure and they are actually altering the game plan / systems a bit. The addition of Jacques Martin might be one of the best moves that Shero has pulled off over the past few years. I was worried that HCDB would clash with JM, but its seems the opposite has happened and the make each other better. I would like to see the entry into the zone on the PP improved, but its hard to complain about the PP with the numbers they are putting up. The PK has been solid pretty much all season except for that bad little stretch in the beginning (if I remember correctly)

your post didn't mention playoffs, therefor it's irrelevant.

Spoiler:
I'm kidding. I enjoyed this post.

Well indirectly I may have mentioned the playoffs. In the past few years its been HCDB's ego / wanting to stick to his game plan that I believe caused our failures in the playoffs. This year is the first time it is noticeable that he is trying to adjust to other teams instead of just making small little tweaks and jumbling lines around and trying to out-talent( is that a word?) other teams. I am hoping its just not because of all the injuries and lack of forward depth that is causing these changes. If HCDB is willing to adjust for the playoffs like he is doing in the regular season then we might be back in business.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:24 pm

Great58 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I'm not trying to take anything away Bylsma, but is the Pens success this year really a credit to him or the Penguins brass bringing in Martin and making sure Martin is allowed to have impact on the system?

I was under the impression that Byslma selects his assistant coaches. So wouldn't this be an "and" instead of an "or" statement? Unless there is clear evidence that Shero insisted in Martin's hiring, can't Byslma get credit for making changes in his staff and systems to create a more disciplined team, instead of criticised for it?

Is that a credit to Bylsma? Or is it a result of GMRS giving him an ultimatum?
Either way HCDB is making the adjustments. So if the Pens win it all, HCDB owes a ton to GMRS.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:25 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Steve wrote:This is an approval rating for the first half of the season, and 10 people voted disapprove?

Most of those (if not all) can be considerd protest or nullification votes.
In other words, (with, honestly, all due respect to C2I), who really cares about the regular season?

Shakes wrote:Yeah, we really need an option for "all due respect, the regular season and your thread is useless. Happy New Year!"

The thread satisfied my interest. I just like looking at the numbers. no more. no less. carry on talking about the playoffs.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Does it matter?

Win the Cup
Bylsma supporters: See, we told you.
Bylsma haters: Cause of Martin, cause of Shero, cause of Crosby, cause of whatever

Don't win the Cup
Bylsma Haters: See, we told you
Bylsma supporters: Cause of Martin, cause of Shero, cause of Crosby, cause of whatever

Circle of life LGP.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:39 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote: So if the Pens win it all, HCDB owes a ton to GMRS.

Of course he would. This team as currently assembled isn't going to win the Cup. Shero has his work cut out for him.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:45 pm

topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:50 pm

Of course a coach owes a GM if he wins the Cup. The GM built the team.

I don't really understand why Shero wouldn't get some credit, or why it had to be mentioned in the first place, aside from the fact someone doesn't like Bylsma.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins