Dan Bylsma Approval rating (1st half)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you approve of the way DB is handling his job?

Approve
82%
Disapprove
18%

Total votes : 85

Re: Dan Bylsma Approval rating (1st half)

Postby Shakes on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:58 pm

count2infinity wrote:
The thread satisfied my interest. I just like looking at the numbers. no more. no less. carry on talking about the playoffs.

:fist:

I also like the idea of polling on this throughout the season.

If only you had a way of doing it again at the end of the season and then again after the playoffs. Then everyone could stop posting that the playoffs are the only thing that matter.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:54 pm

They are the only thing that matter. If you say you don approve now, you sound like an idiot, so you vote yes and qualify it with the idea that this time of year has bever been a problem for his teams and this vote is pending a productive playoffs.

I just make it easy and vote no because i have the belief that almost any other nhl coach and many ahl coaches would have this team in the playoffs also.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:10 am

On a scale from 1 to 10 I give him a 32 and a sandwich.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:56 am

Ask me this when the playoffs are over. The Pens look exactly like they have the last 4 years at this point of the season.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:almost any other nhl coach and many ahl coaches would have this team in the playoffs also.

This team, with all it's injuries and call-ups? Or this team, as in Crosby-Malkin-Kunitz-Neal-et al? And is there a difference to you between making the playoffs with this team and being in first place in the division and 14 points ahead of their nearest division competitor? Because I disagree with your premise, I'm just not sure to what degree.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Bylsma has done a very fine job this season. But let's not pretend he's doing it in a tough Conference. The East is total garbage. And its a reason why the Pens have as many points as they do.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm

So honest question:

If JM would have been promoted to HC and DB moved to a front office position, would things (win/loss) be much/any different than they are today?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby pensfan1989 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:06 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:So honest question:

If JM would have been promoted to HC and DB moved to a front office position, would things (win/loss) be much/any different than they are today?

Probably not that different
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:So honest question:

Probably not that different

Honest question: does anyone care whether they win the east or just the division?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tyler Durden on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 pm

I can't stand Bylsma, but I voted for approve. How can you disapprove? We have seen this almost ever year -- he keeps the team winning despite being plagued with injuries. He's a damn good regular season coach, but he's a huge underachiever in the postseason. Like others have said, he can't be fully judged until after this postseason. I hope I am wrong but I don't see the Pens ever winning another Cup with Bylsma as HC. I'll always root for the Penguins so I'd never root against them just to be right. Bylmsa needs to go if they meltdown again this postseason.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 pm

The only thing that worries me with Bylsma is the way this team loses when they lose.

We either win, or lose in an ugly way. The team looks horrible, lost, disinterested, whatever...they just look downright awful when they lose.

Thankfully we're winning a lot more than we're losing...but I'd still like to see us clean up our play in those games.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:01 pm

murphydump55 wrote:The only thing that worries me with Bylsma is the way this team loses when they lose.

We either win, or lose in an ugly way. The team looks horrible, lost, disinterested, whatever...they just look downright awful when they lose.

Thankfully we're winning a lot more than we're losing...but I'd still like to see us clean up our play in those games.

Figuring out and correcting whatever mental issues came to a head in Game 2 vs Boston would go a long ways towards preparing this team for a cup win.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 pm

People talk about the playoffs when they bring up Bylsma and rightfully so. Although nobody ever seems to bring up the fact that he was the coach of the only team in league history to rally from 2, 2-0 series deficits to win a series the year they won the cup. He must have been able to make some adjustments that year, right? That doesn't absolve him from what's happened in the playoffs since then, but it should certainly be usable as evidence that he is capable and has made adjustments to correct issues/take advantage of weaknesses in the past.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:44 pm

I guess. They werent using an infallible system then though. When you have the perfect system in place, you dont need to gameplan for another team. The solution is just to get more offensive zone time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33 am

The way the vote has gone has been pretty embarrassing so far this year, though not unexpected.

Pre-season: DISAPPROVE! WE LOST IN PLAYOFFS!
10 games: WE'RE 9-1 BYLSMAS THE BEST
20 games: WE LOST 6 OF THE LAST 8 IN NOVEMBER BYLSMA BLOWS
40 games: FIRST PLACE IN THE METRO BABY THANKS BYLSMA

I don't understand how the 50-game body of work changed people's views of Bylsma. The team has performed very similar to the past few seasons. Tons of goals for, good special teams, a lot of wins, not TOO many goals against but still significantly more than the other highly regarded teams in the league
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:37 am

After looking at the standings I am surprised to see they are 5th in GA. Still doesn't make me a believer
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:45 am

No doubt he's doing well with what he has had this season lineup-wise. But as so many have said: the playoffs & 16 wins are what matters.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BuckintheLou on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 am

murphydump55 wrote:The only thing that worries me with Bylsma is the way this team loses when they lose.

Yeah, me too. Seems that more times than not when they lose, they lose UGLY.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:50 pm

They look horrible, lost, and disinterested in some of the games they win too. That Buffalo game was brutal - so lucky they played Buffalo. There are a lot of garbage teams in the league this season.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:After looking at the standings I am surprised to see they are 5th in GA. Still doesn't make me a believer

If you're looking for things to be worried about, the Pens have the worst 5 on 5 differential of the top 10 teams. Also, as Jesse outlined in the PG, their possession stats are not good.

But they've got the best special teams in the league by far, which is impressive.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:42 pm

pcm wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:After looking at the standings I am surprised to see they are 5th in GA. Still doesn't make me a believer

If you're looking for things to be worried about, the Pens have the worst 5 on 5 differential of the top 10 teams. Also, as Jesse outlined in the PG, their possession stats are not good.

But they've got the best special teams in the league by far, which is impressive.

Thanks... I knew there had to be something beyond the "eye test" but was too lazy to look to back myself up.

Plus having the #1 penalty kill for sure has a pretty major impact on the overall Goals Against counting stat.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm

pens_CT wrote:Disco Dan, one of the best regular season coaches of all time. :thumb: :thumb:
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby spi on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Overall, every year, you gotta give the guy credit. But there are things that make me crazy.

The good:
-This is his team, he is not a puppet
-he has the respect of the players and keeps a good room
-he keeps the ship pointed in the right direction under ridiculous injury scenarios
-I personally just like the guy's personality and love for the organization

the bad:
-He seems unwilling to read his players the riot act when it comes to discipline on ice. Geno, Neal and Letang specifically. After the Flyers playoff debacle i cannot understand how these guys still lose their cool and even more why HCDB has not made that it a must to not let the other team piss them off.
-Pets vs doghouse - Vets with little upside vs young players with limitless upside. Engo vs Despres or bortuzzo. Kobasew over megna. I just do not get what his rationale is for some of his lineup decisions. Despres will be gone soon but how do you cast off a 6'4" 22 year old skilled dman.
-Playoffs are what matters and with the exception of the 2009 cup, his penguins hockey game plan just doesnt work. In 2009 they did not adjust, their style was good enough. since then they have needed in game adjustments which he has not been able to make successfully. opposing coaches outcoached him plain and simple.
-He HAS to match lines in the playoffs. I get it that sid wants the tough matchup but it limits the teams chance of success if he just says he will take his chances. Why not do everything possible to win.

I really hope disco figures out the playoffs because i want him to be around for the long haul. Stability there is a good thing however I am not sure he will be able to win 4 7 game series. So my vote for 1st half is good...second half will probably be good. end of season....we shall see
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:29 pm

I agree with your "the good" section, but i will say it's easy to keep a good room when you win 75% of the time, which would be the case under most coaches with that lineup.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Yeah this isnt about bylsma, but no coach keeps a good room. Winning does that. There are definitely coaches that keep bad rooms though. Taskmasters are going to get tuned out. Its inevitable.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins