derrick pouliot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: derrick pouliot

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue May 13, 2014 2:47 pm

He's just what the doctor ordered--another soft, offensive-minded defenseman :roll: .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue May 13, 2014 2:56 pm

mikey287 wrote:Pouliot: Offensively he's better. Defensively he's worse. Skating he's better. Strength he's worse. More complete? No. Maatta can process the pro game a little faster...

Mikey, what is your best guess as to his development path? What I mean is, do you see him rounding out his game, and if so, over how long a time period?
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 13, 2014 3:15 pm

DelPen wrote:http://whl.ca/schedule/show/game/67205

Portland lost 4-2, Pouliot a -2 in the game.

Tough to come out on the plus side when you've got Matt Dumba derping around all night. But yeah, interested to see how he does in WBS. He should get game action.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Pouliot: Offensively he's better. Defensively he's worse. Skating he's better. Strength he's worse. More complete? No. Maatta can process the pro game a little faster...

Mikey, what is your best guess as to his development path? What I mean is, do you see him rounding out his game, and if so, over how long a time period?

Good question. I wish I could tell you exactly. My best guess is that he'll probably continue to stagnate defensively for a little bit as he's done in the last handful of months after making great strides in the previous 12. Unless we have a coach that really clicks with him and vice-versa. You never know how some players will go from junior to pro...some guys just check out, some guys are awakened by it, so the first year can be fairly telling.

Like I said, I think he really improved his game, in say, the calendar year from January 2013 to 2014. But I thought in the playoffs in the WHL, he might have been a little uneven at times...maybe fatigue at the end. Also, the Winterhawks aren't exactly a fierce defensive team...they're an offensive juggernaut, I was hoping they'd get a chance to play Guelph in the Memorial Cup, they might have had to get a new scoreboard at Budweiser Gardens to accommodate three digit numbers...

His game reminds me of young Brian Campbell. It's skating, it's offensive sophistication, it's whirling plays and booming shots and out of nowhere sometimes, he'll level you...but in front of the net, it's a kitten with a ball of yarn...stick isn't on the ice, it's up on someone's numbers...not a lot of urgency to locate the puck and remove it from danger, a lot more, "well, when this thing squirts out behind the net, you better believe I'm wheelin' this **** right out of this *****..."

That's probably the thing that bothers me most, is the lack of urgency to get things done in the rink within the rink...it's pretty laissez-faire...now, to be fair, this is junior hockey. This is an offensive team and based on their other d-men, it's a cultural thing, an atmosphere...Matthew Dumba is the dumbest player I've ever seen...Cederholm is a hit chaser and thinks he's talented with the puck (which is a lot worse than just strictly being un-talented), Garrett Haar also loves to take himself out with hits and other shenanigans...the group, as a whole, is not very tidy and the organization hasn't put a premium on goaltending...even last year when Seth Jones was there, it was a lot headlong rushes to nowhere in particular...and then whip it across the surface out the other way, against the grain of your momentum and your teammates' direction...

I'm gonna cherry-pick something for effect here...the Winterhawks finished 2nd in their conference with 113 points this year (54 of 72 games won), the teams in third and fourth in the conference (100 points and 88 points, respectively) were nearly lapped in terms of goal-scoring by Portland. The Winterhawks scored 100 more goals this season than the team one spot below them in the standings. 120 more goals than the team in 5th...160 more goals than the team that finished 8th, also, a playoff participant...now, there's some rhymes and reasons for that and I'm playing up the narrative a tiny bit for effect...but this team was a pace-pusher all year...when the pro game hits Pouliot, we'll see what kind of strides he makes...it took Campbell a while to really mature as a player, a few years, maybe even more, four, five, six...but now he's well-rounded...we'll have to be patient with Pouliot, but also cognizant that he's not this organization's only hope on the backline both in terms now, but also future...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm

^^^

A good read. Thanks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue May 13, 2014 11:26 pm

Awesome Mikey, thanks.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 pm

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/h ... story.html *volume warning

This shows some video highlights from the championship game. Bonehead play by Jarry trying to score on a empty net with little time left on a championship game, and they almost score on him. WTF is he thinking there. Didn't MAF do something like that way back when and he shot it off a D man and in his own net to tie the game in the Memorial Cup or something? Geez.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby superconan on Thu May 15, 2014 11:14 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Edmonton+Kings+Portland+Winterhawks/9832406/story.html *volume warning

This shows some video highlights from the championship game. Bonehead play by Jarry trying to score on a empty net with little time left on a championship game, and they almost score on him. WTF is he thinking there. Didn't MAF do something like that way back when and he shot it off a D man and in his own net to tie the game in the Memorial Cup or something? Geez.

World Jrs against USA in gold medal game. He wasn't trying to score, just clear the puck.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins