derrick pouliot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: derrick pouliot

Postby no name on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:51 pm

columbia wrote:Alternately, we could wait to see how well he is performing after he has two to three hundred NHL games on his resume.
It seems odd to declare that he was a bad pick, while he's still playing junior hockey.

Maybe it is his junior coaches but i would hope he would of worked on his defensive game and be better now than when he was drafted. He is a project type player, might take him a while to get to the NHL to develop his all around game. He was drafted purely on potential, he has the potential to be a Scott Neidermeyer type defenseman. But we will have to wait til he get to Wilks Bare to see what road he takes.

The few times i watched him on TV and i mean he was the only one i watched every shift he was out. I sat there and oooohed and awwwwed everytime he carries the puck. Then i ewwwwed and arrrghed everytime he tried to play defence.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 pm

FWIW, his defensive game is definitely better now than it was his draft year... yeah, he's certainly still got some work to do there, but at least he's following a positive trajectory.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Patience. He's the PPQB we've been waiting for since Gonchar left.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:Patience. He's the PPQB we've been waiting for since Gonchar left.

Are you the Dr. Rosenrosen from Fletch!? if so, I commend you on a great handle. Love that flick! :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:Patience. He's the PPQB we've been waiting for since Gonchar left.

And that's nothing to sneeze at, as the good ones are rare.
For example, have the Rangers really had a valuable one, since Zubov left?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JaysTelestrator on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Im extremely high on Pouliot and loved his game at the WJC, imo Canada's best defensemen. He has a calmness about him with the puck that I believe translates well to the next level. I think hes going to be special.
JaysTelestrator
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:57 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
guiner wrote:pouliots article on NHL.com today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=701452

Kinda odd couldn't find it liked on Pens site

I like how he's able to to recognize that his strength issues aren't necessarily weight-related. It's all about how that weight is distributed throughout your body -- by all accounts, his current weight should be good, considering his height, so it's good he's aware he can still do better in that regard.

Also, two ways he's not like Letang:

1) He's an excellent passer
2) He has great poise with the puck, especially on the PP.

Obviously he doesn't possess similar physical gifts to that of Letang, but few do.

If only we could combine the best qualities of each into a super defenseman! We could call him....Pouletang!
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
guiner wrote:pouliots article on NHL.com today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=701452

Kinda odd couldn't find it liked on Pens site

I like how he's able to to recognize that his strength issues aren't necessarily weight-related. It's all about how that weight is distributed throughout your body -- by all accounts, his current weight should be good, considering his height, so it's good he's aware he can still do better in that regard.

Also, two ways he's not like Letang:

1) He's an excellent passer
2) He has great poise with the puck, especially on the PP.

Obviously he doesn't possess similar physical gifts to that of Letang, but few do.

If only we could combine the best qualities of each into a super defenseman! We could call him....Pouletang!

The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:If only we could combine the best qualities of each into a super defenseman! We could call him....Pouletang!

I'm leaning toward Poutang myself!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Please don't encourage Sarcastic. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Poutine? MMMMM, Poutine.....

DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:46 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:Poutine? MMMMM, Poutine.....

:thumb: MMMMMM
Pruezy11881
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:56 pm

KG wrote:

Are you the Dr. Rosenrosen from Fletch!? if so, I commend you on a great handle. Love that flick! :D

Yes. I share an office with Dr. Rosenpenis.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:
KG wrote:

Yes. I share an office with Dr. Rosenpenis.

Alan Stanwyck says hi lol....classic flick....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Yeah, I don't see a lot of Letang in Pouliot...I've always compared him to Brian Campbell...

Also, someone mentioned that Pouliot was the best defenseman for Canada in their opinion...yeah, that's everyone's opinion too, it's a good and accurate one and it wasn't particularly close...he was the catalyst for all things offense and transition, he showed off some new found defensive maturity and Team Canada's officials thought so too, not only in their post-tourney voting but also in the obscene amount of ice he got in a near-best-on-best junior-aged tournament...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Isn't Pouliot's hockey sense supposed to be way higher than Tanger's?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:26 pm

I'd say so. Especially with how hard Letang makes the game look right now...Letang was not this dumb a few years ago...usually hockey sense will not change much over the course of a career, so I don't know...either I mis-evaluated or there's something else afoot...but it's confusing...

But yeah, Pouliot is a pretty smart cookie...like I've said, right down to the number that he wears, he reminds me of Brian Campbell big time...has the same spin move, looks like they have a pretty similar stride, body type...for those that play EHM, he might well be a regen if Soupy had retired...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Odd Man Rush on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I don't see a lot of Letang in Pouliot...I've always compared him to Brian Campbell...

Also, someone mentioned that Pouliot was the best defenseman for Canada in their opinion...yeah, that's everyone's opinion too, it's a good and accurate one and it wasn't particularly close...he was the catalyst for all things offense and transition, he showed off some new found defensive maturity and Team Canada's officials thought so too, not only in their post-tourney voting but also in the obscene amount of ice he got in a near-best-on-best junior-aged tournament...

That's an excellent comparison and EXACTLY who he reminds me most of as well. My friends who haven't seen the kid play and who ask me to whom he compares, Campbell is always my comp. They're both silky smooth skaters, deceptively fast, head up, excellent passers, etc. They even each wear No. 51 on their sweaters.
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm

100% agree. Excellent recognition by you.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 pm

Poulliot just needs to land a huge hit right before it comes time to sign a contract and it'll be over.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Poulliot just needs to land a huge hit right before it comes time to sign a contract and it'll be over.

Ya know, it's really funny that you mention it, I've always wondered how much scrambling Umberger's eggs helped to golden his goose...it seems like such an "amateur" thought, and normally I can talk myself out of them, but that one I never could shake...that one just seems to feel real for whatever reason...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 pm

I think people chose to give that hit tons of attention. Im not sure it was the hit itself, but it got a lot of buzz going about him for some reason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Odd Man Rush wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I don't see a lot of Letang in Pouliot...I've always compared him to Brian Campbell...

That's an excellent comparison and EXACTLY who he reminds me most of as well. My friends who haven't seen the kid play and who ask me to whom he compares, Campbell is always my comp. They're both silky smooth skaters, deceptively fast, head up, excellent passers, etc. They even each wear No. 51 on their sweaters.

During the draft they comnpared him alot to Brian Rafalski. Looking now i can see that comparision works pretty well.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:58 pm

These are the threads that make me mental on this board.

I can't understand how fans think that players don't change or develop.

-Whatever they are in juniors is what they'll be for their career.
-If they don't come into the league gangbusters, they'll never be more than a bottom line player.
-If they have one bad year, the good year's were a fluke and will never happen again.

We need to stop comparing players to give them an identity.

He's the next Letang, he's the next Rafalski... No, he's the next Pouliot. He will have strengths, weaknesses and make rookie errors that will go away with experience. He will learn from the coaching staff and his teammates to improve on weaknesses.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:35 pm

What's the big deal... it's just a player comparison.

Many people don't get a chance to ever see prospects play, so if they're asking and want to get a handle on a player's style, you say, "hey, there's this player in the NHL I know you've seen play -- they share many similarities). Pouliot right now projects to play the game more like Brian Campbell does than Kris Letang does, and people seem to appreciate that info, so, yeah. Calm down.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins