derrick pouliot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: derrick pouliot

Postby Dan H on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:26 am

Since this thread got bumped and it made me curious enough to look it up: it seems Hodges got 5 games for punching Pouliot in the back of the head.

http://www.whl.ca/page/WHL-discipline

I'm with the people who think that sort of crap should imperil his hockey career. I'm pretty sure any of us would have to find another line of work if we punched an unsuspecting coworker in the back of the head.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:22 am

sniper wrote:I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but I thought folks might be interested to know that...

Pens 2012 first round pick defenseman Derrick Pouliot and the Portland Winterhawks will face Pens 2013 second round pick goaltender Tristan Jarry of the Edmonton Oil Kings in the WHL championship. First game is May 3.

Pouliot is 3rd in the league in playoff points with 4 goals and 22 assists in 14 games. Two teammates are ahead of him.

Jarry is 12-2 with a 1.86 GAA, 0.929 save percentage and two shutouts.

Judging by the stats both are doing very well.

Yeah, it's gonna be a heck of a final. Jarry is gonna have to bring his A-game big time.

A couple fun facts re: Pouliot:

With 26 points in 14 games, he has a great chance to reach the 30-point mark, which hasn't been breached by a WHL defenseman in the playoffs since 1999. He also has a shot at breaking the all-time record of 34, set in 1984.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 am

Wonder how well he can compliment Scuderi Next year?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:26 am

DelPen wrote:Wonder how well he can compliment Scuderi replace Niskanen next year?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:48 am

sil wrote:
DelPen wrote:Wonder how well he can compliment Scuderi replace Niskanen Orpik next year?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Seems likely to force Despres to the bench again... unless Niskanen and Orpik are gone.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:17 pm

In no universe should Scud be playing over Despres, but that's probably going to happen next year.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:27 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:In no universe should Scud be playing over Despres, but that's probably going to happen next year.

Interesting situation, as I'm pretty sure Despres is a RFA this summer so next year he can't be sent down without passing through waivers. Under ZERO circumstances should we lose him to waivers, so I guess that leaves us with the following options:

1. Trade Letang
2. Let Orpik walk
3. Trade or release Scuderi
4. Trade or release Bortuzzo
5. Trade Despres

I know what I'd do, but how many here think Shero will trade Despres in the off season?
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:In no universe should Scud be playing over Despres, but that's probably going to happen next year.

Interesting situation, as I'm pretty sure Despres is a RFA this summer so next year he can't be sent down without passing through waivers. Under ZERO circumstances should we lose him to waivers, so I guess that leaves us with the following options:

1. Trade Letang
2. Let Orpik walk
3. Trade or release Scuderi
4. Trade or release Bortuzzo
5. Trade Despres

I know what I'd do, but how many here think Shero will trade Despres in the off season?

The way he gets treated by this organization, I wouldn't doubt it.

How exactly do we release players? This isn't the NFL.

If they want to be smart, they explore a Letang trade and see what they can get. Bortuzzo can and should be playing on the bottom pair. He's a cheap contract that you need to take advantage of. Orpik should walk, but if they bring him back, it should be as a third pairing guy for third pairing money. Fat chance of that happening, especially if DB is back.

I doubt Pouliot is ready next year. No need to rush him at all.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:13 pm

IMO, Ideally out Top-6 next year consists of Letang, Martin, Maatta, Niskanen, Despres, and Bortuzzo. Still have good depth in the trenches with Harrington, Dumo, and Pouliot, plus whatever 2-way vet gets signed.

Wild card in all of this is Philip Samuelsson, who was probably WBS' steadiest Defensive D-man throughout the year before his recent injury. If he's re-signed, he'll have to pass through waivers as well. Either way, I don't see them moving Letang, so letting Orpik walk and dumping Scuds (these moves should allow us to retain Nisky) would be the best moves.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:32 pm

I'd like to see how well Samuelsson progressed. I'd like to see Bortuzzo/Samuelsson battle to the death next preseason to see who gets waived and who is our #6. But we're a long way away from that...who knows what happens between now and then...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dan H on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Just for completeness, I'll point out option #6 for the list above: play Despres and every other D-man in the organization because the Pens have 4 defensemen on LTIR. May or may not happen, of course, but judging by the past few years...
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:00 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'd like to see how well Samuelsson progressed. I'd like to see Bortuzzo/Samuelsson battle to the death next preseason to see who gets waived and who is our #6. But we're a long way away from that...who knows what happens between now and then...

mikey, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pens can still buy out Scuderi....they just cannot use the compliance buyout because he was signed after a certain date..is that correct?

Would they consider that? He certainly can't be worth anything in a trade with 3 years left on his deal and looking older than Methuselah out there.

I just hate the thought of some used up old veteran preventing a young kid from coming in and playing great hockey on an entry level deal. So many young defensemen are coming right in and having a huge impact in the league immediately. I hope the team can part with Scuderi and let Orpik go; that money could be spent on younger players and that youth (and cap space) will be much needed.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Maata Martin and Nisky all play such a ballanced 2 way game i like their play. Letang gets burned defensivly but thoes guys rarely do. I think 1 or even 2 of Dumoulin Harrington or Samuelsson could play our 5th or 6th defenseman spots. giving us a chance to see if either is ready to be give a one way contract or play their way back to the minors or waivers.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm interested to see how Scuds does next year. When was the last time a defenseman stepped into this organization and played well in their first season? Except for our best d-man, Paul Martin.

Oh wait.

Seriously, we need to give Scuds one more year to see if he can turn it around. This year has been an utter disaster on the blue line so I'm not ready to rule anyone out at this point.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Last time players came in and had a good first year was when michalek and martin came in, they both did.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Last time players came in and had a good first year was when michalek and martin came in, they both did.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're being serious but neither one of those players had "good" seasons their first years here. That is why Shero gave both of them the option of leaving or staying. Michalek went back to Phoneix and Martin decided to stay.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 pm

wondermoose wrote:I'm interested to see how Scuds does next year. When was the last time a defenseman stepped into this organization and played well in their first season? Except for our best d-man, Paul Martin.

Oh wait.

Seriously, we need to give Scuds one more year to see if he can turn it around. This year has been an utter disaster on the blue line so I'm not ready to rule anyone out at this point.

You make a good point, but I thought Scuderi would adapt quicker because he was somewhat familiar with the system before arriving his second time around.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Last time players came in and had a good first year was when michalek and martin came in, they both did.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're being serious but neither one of those players had "good" seasons their first years here. That is why Shero gave both of them the option of leaving or staying. Michalek went back to Phoneix and Martin decided to stay.

I think that was the season both bottomed out at -10 at one point, and rebounded to + by end of season.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Shero went out and brought Scuds back because he felt it was a mistake to let him go in 2009. I'd eat my shoe if he turned around and bought him out.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:03 pm

If there was anyone that thought michalek and martin signings were mistakes after their first seasons here, they didnt say anything about it. Plenty of people praised them, deservedly so. I remember saying I didnt like either contract when it was signed, but had nothing to say about the play of either guy after a year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 pm

For me, as much as i hate to say it... I think it almost has to be Letang that is traded this off-season. He is a very rare type of talent, and he deserves to be paid what he is paid when he is on his game. The problem is the pens are a cap team, and with the need for higher talent throughout the lineup, the luxury of a Kris Letang at 7.3 million a year is not something the penguins can afford.

A team like the Oilers would be a nice fit for him. Their young forwards really need decent puck moving d-men. Maybe a Letang-Ference pairing.

Also sadly is the fact that we will not be able to rid ourselves of Scuderi. I can not see anyone taking this guy off our hands. That is a 3.4 million cap hit for the next three seasons. Nothing pretty about that.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If there was anyone that thought michalek and martin signings were mistakes after their first seasons here, they didnt say anything about it. Plenty of people praised them, deservedly so. I remember saying I didnt like either contract when it was signed, but had nothing to say about the play of either guy after a year.

You're right. It took two years. I forgot 2010-11 was kind of a wash across the board. People had their pitchforks out for 2011-12 though, especially after the playoffs. Can you imagine if Shero had traded Paul Martin? Injuries be damned, where the heck would this team be without him right now.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Riding the deryk engelland train to a 5 game win against columbus.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm hoping that WHL series is televised
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins