Letang Suffers Minor Stroke

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Letang's Mystery Illness

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Shakes wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Don't care whether he can play this year, don't care whether he can play again ever. I remember reading about his best friend's death, Luc Bourdon, from a motorcycle accident. It was clear that Letang is a sensitive, good guy. Not a meathead athlete.

I hope he recovers fully so that he can enjoy his life and has no further episodes as a result of this.

He is my favorite player to watch, a high wire act that is at times maddening, but he is a human being, a son, someday perhaps a husband and father. Healing vibes.

Yep. I think he has a young kid. Just glad it seems treatable and here's to a full recovery for him. Scary.

Also, this thread is further proof that LGP is no threat to the stand-up circuit. Bunch a wannabe funny guys in here.

His son was born in November of 2012.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Shakes wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Don't care whether he can play this year, don't care whether he can play again ever. I remember reading about his best friend's death, Luc Bourdon, from a motorcycle accident. It was clear that Letang is a sensitive, good guy. Not a meathead athlete.

I hope he recovers fully so that he can enjoy his life and has no further episodes as a result of this.

He is my favorite player to watch, a high wire act that is at times maddening, but he is a human being, a son, someday perhaps a husband and father. Healing vibes.

Yep. I think he has a young kid. Just glad it seems treatable and here's to a full recovery for him. Scary.

Also, this thread is further proof that LGP is no threat to the stand-up circuit. Bunch a wannabe funny guys in here.

His son was born in November of 2012.

All the more reason that he live a healthy life to raise his son. This guy is so dedicated to being in top shape, it is almost unbelievable that it would be him - except that I know that there is no way to exercise your way away from things like this.

As for the standup angle, I consider myself a funny guy - but can't find humor in this.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:53 pm

rgj wrote:GET WELL SOON, 'TANGER!!!

^^^
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm

i think ultimately, the doctors will say it's safe to resume playing, and he'll have no reason not to believe them. it's unlikely that his career is over. one thing to consider is that while yes, he's already made more money than any of us will ever see, he hasn't "cashed in" yet, by pro athlete standards. it's not warm and fuzzy to think about, but i imagine the money will be a factor in his decision.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nastystang05 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:42 pm

DelPen wrote:First, talk about Letang's play in another thread.

As for the hole in his heart, even if it was known and it was deemed to not be an issue wouldn't having surgery be a risk not worth taking?

And for the blood thinners, isn't this pretty standard for stroke victims in the short term after to prevent further blood clots? I would doubt he'd be on them on a permamant basis.

What sucks is this isn't a timetable injury. He's better when's he's better. Could be anytime.

Not every stroke patient will receive anticoagulant therapy (blood thinners). Those patients with hemorrhagic strokes or brain bloods would not get anticoagulants. You would be causing insult to injury. Only ischemic strokes or clots would receive them.

As far as pros and cons of the surgery that is out of my scope of practice.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nastystang05 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Obviously I'm not familiar with the whole case. However, generally speaking my stroke patients have major deficits including loss of strength range of motion sensation balance inabiltybto speak etc. Letang doesn't appear to have any of those symptoms. So the outcome looks great for him. This won't be the end of Letang. As far as CVA's go he had a very mild one. He is very fortunate in the gran scheme of things.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Trip McNeely on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:07 pm

nastystang05 wrote:Obviously I'm not familiar with the whole case. However, generally speaking my stroke patients have major deficits including loss of strength range of motion sensation balance inabiltybto speak etc. Letang doesn't appear to have any of those symptoms. So the outcome looks great for him. This won't be the end of Letang. As far as CVA's go he had a very mild one. He is very fortunate in the gran scheme of things.

To add, this event seems a little more TIA-ish than full on stroke: never admitted as an inpatient, no deficits (from what it seems), no need for a clot buster, and the short period of antiocoagulation (6 weeks).
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:38 pm

rgj wrote:GET WELL SOON, 'TANGER!!!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:48 pm

You also know what could be a silver lining in all of this? The support.

Many media members have stated that Letang reads far too much message board garbage and social media in general. Seeing the outpouring of support from fans and the standing ovation he undoubtedly will receive when he comes back will do nothing but positive things for his psyche.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Here's pulling for a speedy recovery, clean bill of health to return, and a long life of showing the grand kids how you beat the goalie with a wicked shot in the last few seconds of Game 7 to win another Cup.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 pm

Has anyone even noticed he was "on pace" to completely obliterate his single-season career-high in goals? In fact, he had already tied it in 35 games.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Sending healing vibes to Kris as he deals with this latest in a series of health issues that have plagued him this season. It must be terrifying to have a health scare like this. And as if worry about his long-term health wasn’t enough, what about the anxiety he must feel when contemplating the impact this situation could have on his career as a professional hockey player? The good news is, by all accounts the stroke was slight and he is expected to make a full recovery and resume his career. In the meantime, he has lots of teammates--too many, in fact--who can relate to his fears and offer him much needed support and encouragement. Without a doubt all the support pouring in from the fan base will also help to lift his spirits and help him get through this ordeal.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Gaucho wrote:Has anyone even noticed he was "on pace" to completely obliterate his single-season career-high in goals? In fact, he had already tied it in 35 games.

He leads the league in goals per game among defensemen.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Staggy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Staggy wrote:Jesus Christ, poor guy

I hope people feel bad for crucifying him.

Wow, just excellent.

Best LOL I had all day. Idoit, :D

Just reading through the thread now. I'll say it again but in a different tone: He's 26! A kid! I'll admit it: I'm quite upset at this news :shock: . Thank goodness it appears that he'll recover. I've put on my Letang sweater and am raising a beer to his speedy and full recovery! I'm looking forward to him coming back better than ever.

BADS, thanks for your response to my earlier post. I do see your point, as well, about the history.

GET WELL, TANGER!

What a crazy season.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Does anybody know if the condition may have contributed to his subpar play this season or is that unrelated?

Let's hope he recovers quickly and fully.

Also, did he have any earlier signs, like maybe heart palpitations or something similar and we just didn't know about it? Maybe we have a doctor here who knows more about this condition.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 pm

With regards to all the criticism for his play, I'm sure he realizes that when a player is well paid and considered a star, even a superstar by many, that the expectations are very high. This season, his brilliant flashes have been more frequent, but unfortunately the gaffes were for a while too.

Perhaps this situation will give him motivation and drive, and most importantly, encouragement and support. A person being in good spirits can make a difference when battling any type of physical illness. A stroke would cause any human being to reflect on their life and put things into perspective. I know the fans will give him a HUGE ovation when he returns, and hopefully that will wipe out all of the frustration he was experiencing early in the season.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Crosby, who has better ice awareness than anyone gets a concussion when he makes a rare lapse and skates looking over his shoulder.

Orpik, who is the only Penguin who states fighting should be banned gets a scare and loses time getting sucker-punched.

Letang, the cardio freak suffers a stroke.

Here's hoping Tanger makes a full recovery, and all three sip from the Cup together someday soon telling stories of their scariest moments and climbs back to the top. It would be a story no one would believe.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lesky on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:47 am

TESTS made in Phoenix and TESTS made in Pittsburgh was made.

I am just interested, what tests are they talking about?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nastystang05 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:12 am

Lesky wrote:TESTS made in Phoenix and TESTS made in Pittsburgh was made.

I am just interested, what tests are they talking about?

Cat scans with or without contrast dye. MRI's, multiple panels of blood tests for metabolic panel and various enzymes, possibly doppler studies. echo cardio gram, EKG, blood pressures, pupillary response. I'm sure there were more.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:30 am

If he's reading, like he may or may not be prone to do: All the best, Kristopher! When you're mentally and physically able, I, for one, will eagerly await your return to the team...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:37 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Humperdink wrote:PS: I don't doubt Letang is genuinely sick. The Pens are in too deep on this one.

Time to leave for the Pens game now. 150 mile drive, dinner, then to the CEC, prolly through Trib Total Media entrance.

Should we look for the man with no eyes, feet, or hands but still has his ears?

"Dear God, what is that thing!?!?!"
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:51 am

From personal experience I would say that he had a T.I.A., transient ischemic attack, a "mini-stroke", as opposed to a fully stroke. A full strokes affects are usually more prominent and require more aggressive treatment up front. A TIA is, by definition, transient. It is not something to shake a stick at though. It is usually a warning sign that a major event is on the horizon so it certainly needs to be treated full out.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Humperdink on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:54 pm

Jim wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Humperdink wrote:PS: I don't doubt Letang is genuinely sick. The Pens are in too deep on this one.

Time to leave for the Pens game now. 150 mile drive, dinner, then to the CEC, prolly through Trib Total Media entrance.

Should we look for the man with no eyes, feet, or hands but still has his ears?

"Dear God, what is that thing!?!?!"

I want to thank you both for the personal attacks.

In case both of you failed to read my previous posts on this topic, let me summarize.

1) The NHL (that would be all teams) disseminate faulty information (some would say outright lies) regarding illnesses and injuries. To argue otherwise is to ignore the facts.

and

2) The Pens have influence on what is published in the Trib. In my opinion, it would be naive to think otherwise.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Dude....they were princess bride jokes based on your username. Lol. No attacks made bro.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Dude....they were princess bride jokes based on your username. Lol. No attacks made bro.

OK (not a movie goer).
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins