Martin Brodeur "A VERY STRONG POSSIBLY" (Eklund)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What is more likely to happen than Martin Brodeur joining the Penguins?

Pens win the Cup
6%
USA Wins Gold
3%
Alex Ovechkin proves he isn't gutless
6%
Letang proves he is indeed sick
20%
Aliens attack Mexico (Seriously, screw Mexico)
29%
Ronald Reagan returns from the dead to enact his Star Wars Program
37%

Total votes : 35

Re: Martin Brodeur "A VERY STRONG POSSIBLY" (Eklund)

Postby PhantomJB93 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 am

Not big on trading for a backup goalie. Zatkoff has been fine. We'll get by with him as a backup for the next 2.5 months, and if we need our backup in the playoffs again we're not going anywhere anyway.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan1989 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:45 am

If you ignore the financial/cap implications from this discussion, it's a valid discussion.

That being said, it's an area the Pens could look to address, and he's one of the goalies that will be available to be moved. I just don't see it happening.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:15 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
Jim wrote:
no name wrote:3. Hope this is the only move Ray plans to make since his 4.5 millions against the cap might not allow us to acquire anyone else.

This

If RS is going to make any trade for a big dollar guy it is NOT going to be a goaltending rental.

Unless he moves someone with a big cap hit, like Paul Martin, in exchange for forward help.

I am willing to accept that. If there is another trade done that is the "big one" then I can see grabbing Brodeur. Shero has said that he would prefer a non-rental position player so to get that you have to give up something. So move $ for $ position player wise, then solidify the goaltending with this move.

However, a second caviot would be Vokoun's health. If they do expect Vokoun to come back with enough time to get some games in before the playoffs then I say no chance Brodeur. If they do not expect Vokoun back, period, then I can see them wanting to do something.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 am

Bioshock wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Lol why should Shero move Paul Martin?

Yeah... why would you trade arguably your best defenseman right now?

Depends on the return.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:27 am

Uncle Daddy... Ummmmm no thanks.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 am

Jim wrote:
Bioshock wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Lol why should Shero move Paul Martin?

Yeah... why would you trade arguably your best defenseman right now?

Depends on the return.

Whatever forward we'd be getting back wouldn't offset the hole that would be created defensively, and if you're getting a d-man back, then why bother trading him in the first place, so, no, not really.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 am

meecrofilm wrote:Whatever forward we'd be getting back wouldn't offset the hole that would be created defensively, and if you're getting a d-man back, then why bother trading him in the first place, so, no, not really.

I suppose that Despres or Bortuzzo would replace him in the lineup so it would almost be like getting them in the trade as well.

However, Martin for Ott... no, that would not be enough, at all, quite lopsided deal. Martin for Eberle, done without pause (VERY lopsided deal the other way from the Ott example). You do not take anyone off of the table until you hear what the return offer is.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Yeah, if you remove one of Martin, Scuderi, or Orpik... Niskanen moves up into the top 4, Bortuzzo or Despres gets added to your bottom pairing. Trading one of those dmen would not create so big of a hole conisdering how well Niskanen has been playing.

Starting to think though that Scuderi is the least valuable of the 3. And that I'd rather move him and re-sign Orpik... Would Scuderi want to go home to the Isle? Scuderi for Vanek?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 pm

pcm wrote:Yeah, if you remove one of Martin, Scuderi, or Orpik... Niskanen moves up into the top 4, Bortuzzo or Despres gets added to your bottom pairing. Trading one of those dmen would not create so big of a hole conisdering how well Niskanen has been playing.

Starting to think though that Scuderi is the least valuable of the 3. And that I'd rather move him and re-sign Orpik... Would Scuderi want to go home to the Isle? Scuderi for Vanek?

Shero said in an interview that letting Scuderi go was the biggest mistake that he had made as GM. I doubt that he will do it a second time, just after resigning him.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:49 pm

They just don't need all three of Orpik, Scuderi, and Martin. Younger, fresher legs would be beneficial in my opinion. Scuderi has won 2 Cups and was the number 2 for the Kings for years, and they just brought him in via free agency, so they won't move him. Orpik or Martin could go, however, as Niskanen and Maatta have exceeded expectations. If it came down to trading away Martin's huge cap hit and being able to re-sign Niskanen, I'd do it. He's younger, and right now he is the better player. Martin was great last year but that was last year.

Trading Martin for a young forward solves the cap problem, the forward problem, and a big part of the defensive depth chart problem. Niskanen moves up to #4, and you've still got Despres and Bortuzzo for the last spot. And if two guys get hurt you still have Engelland.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Agree completely, RX... I posted this earlier in Top 6 Acquisition thread, sharing your sentiments;

The move right now should be to deal Martin. The return should be substantial and moving his $5m allows for good return.

Trading Letang now, rather than capitalizing on his meager $3.5m hit during a cap crunch season wouldn't be too bright and the players brought in to help now would be mitigated by 58's current cap hit.

The Isles wanted Martin previously, have already lost Streit and will likely lose MacDonald. Would they trade Vanek for a year of Martin?

I know Ray likely won't consider this kind of move. He seems to be almost too emotionally attached to his guys. But to draft all these D and then block road and deny the team the return they can provide on ELC, is really bad asset management, in my humble opinion.

Scuderi - Letang hasn't looked good thus far, it looks forced and little chemistry there... Letang has played his best most recently with Despres. Put those two together and make them the shutdown pair. D - zone starts, first PK over the boards, the "Full Despres" at the NHL level. They have the ability and all the tools. Focus them DB, if you have it in you.

Deal Martin for a top notch wing and go with;
Letang - Despres
Maata - Bortuzzo
Niskanen - Orpik/Scuderi

You still maintain vet support options should any of the youngins falter when the brutality/hate factor of a series takes hold.

To restructure this team for a real run, $$$ must be shifted from D to F now. That is so obvious and that means dealing an over 30 d-man.

Do it RS, or face another squandered season of your stars.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm

"Ronald Reagan?? The actor??"
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Trade Martin?? Our best 5 on 5 de-man, he is steady and years of quality experience. Niskanen Maatta or Despres can't play 5 on 5 like Martin can.

COme playoffs you need Scuds and Orpik, playoff hockey is alot different than what we nee now. The game slows down gets more physical and its just ugly hockey. The experience Scuds, Martin and Orpik have will all be needed come playoff time.

Trade Martin??? i can't believe people support this. To each their own though.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:45 pm

A Cup contender trading one of their top pairing D-men is bonkers.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:Agree completely, RX... I posted this earlier in Top 6 Acquisition thread, sharing your sentiments;

The move right now should be to deal Martin. The return should be substantial and moving his $5m allows for good return.

Trading Letang now, rather than capitalizing on his meager $3.5m hit during a cap crunch season wouldn't be too bright and the players brought in to help now would be mitigated by 58's current cap hit.

The Isles wanted Martin previously, have already lost Streit and will likely lose MacDonald. Would they trade Vanek for a year of Martin?

I know Ray likely won't consider this kind of move. He seems to be almost too emotionally attached to his guys. But to draft all these D and then block road and deny the team the return they can provide on ELC, is really bad asset management, in my humble opinion.

Scuderi - Letang hasn't looked good thus far, it looks forced and little chemistry there... Letang has played his best most recently with Despres. Put those two together and make them the shutdown pair. D - zone starts, first PK over the boards, the "Full Despres" at the NHL level. They have the ability and all the tools. Focus them DB, if you have it in you.

Deal Martin for a top notch wing and go with;
Letang - Despres
Maata - Bortuzzo
Niskanen - Orpik/Scuderi

You still maintain vet support options should any of the youngins falter when the brutality/hate factor of a series takes hold.

To restructure this team for a real run, $$$ must be shifted from D to F now. That is so obvious and that means dealing an over 30 d-man.

Do it RS, or face another squandered season of your stars.

I wouldn't be devastated if they traded Martin for a forward. That would at least mean, at least on paper, that Despres is part of the teams plans going forward. That said, I wouldn't deal Martin for a rental like Vanek. I'd look into dealing Martin for a long term winger for Sid. Perron type of player...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:50 pm

slappybrown wrote:A Cup contender trading one of their top pairing D-men is bonkers.

You can say this till you're blue in the face, but it won't stop people from penciling Martin out of the lineup in the name of trading for the sake of trading.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:52 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:A Cup contender trading one of their top pairing D-men is bonkers.

You can say this till you're blue in the face, but it won't stop people from penciling Martin out of the lineup in the name of trading for the sake of trading.

Supposedly, Orpik and Martin suck. So, why would anyone trade for them?!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

They don't suck, actually they are good hockey players. But the Pens have tremendous depth on defense and completely unacceptable amount of depth at forward. I'd feel a heck of a lot more comfortable with Niskanen replacing Martin in the top four than continuing on with the likes of Gibbons and Kobasew on Sid's wing. At some point, they need to clear some cap space and add a forward. Trading an expensive defenseman is the most practical way to accomplish that.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:11 pm

But it's not the way to win a Cup, especially with our team defense as a whole.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Neither sucks... Orpik is not good however. Another team would trade for him because there are a lot of crazies out there...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins