The Quiet Decline of Brooks Orpik (Mike Colligan)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Quiet Decline of Brooks Orpik (Mike Colligan)

Postby Bioshock on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks Mike for an awesome article!

http://thehockeywriters.com/brooks-orpik-decline/
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: The Quiet Decline of Brooks Orpik (Mike Colligan)

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 am

I had a dream the other night that they traded Brooks for Matt Martin.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:00 am

This article is spot on. Finally, a writer is refreshingly honest. As fans, we have noticed this for a while now. Colligan also states:

"In an ideal world, Shero would trade Orpik in the coming weeks and capture a significant return before losing him for nothing over the summer."

Interesting.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:11 am

Yeah, it's pretty much on the money there...I've been debating it in my own head the last handful of games whether I'm too sentimental in wanting Orpik to stick around as a lower pairing guy and if that's at all realistic...but I do think his reputation around the league is higher than what we see on a nightly basis and I just think this could be his last season as a Penguin...

I don't believe he's traded at the deadline because playoff Orpik is still a pretty effective player and in a contract year, I have to imagine it'll be good...but if he goes, I'd love to send him off with a cherry on top to his long Penguin career...

But I subscribe to the article almost completely...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 am

"In an ideal world, Shero would trade Orpik in the coming weeks and capture a significant return before losing him for nothing over the summer."

There are some players that you don't trade away. It's part of honoring the time they have put in, with and for the organization.

A quick look at the cap tells you that he won't be around next year: that's his exit point.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Factorial on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:37 am

The Penguins coaching staff has done a nice job adjusting their gameplan to cover up for Orpik’s weaknesses. Maybe that’s why the rest of the league still considers Orpik elite.

Who considered Orpik elite?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:27 am

The idea of trading away Despres that I hear on media constantly and/or Bortuzzo seems ludicrous to me. Quite honestly, I would MUCH rather see Letang and Orpik go, and Despres and Bortuzzo stay. Also, I have loved Niskanen this year, but can't see paying him more than 3.5million...MAYBE 4 next year...especially if we could unload the $891 million we are giving greasy hair. I would rather move one or all of them and in the process try and pick up a cheaper solid 4th defensemen to augment. I don't think we would be terrible with Martin, Scuderi, Maatta, Despres, Bortuzzo, a solid 4/5 replacement or Nisky if he could be had for the right price, plus Engelland (who I prefer as a 4th line winger...seems solid there and has some skill for it)/Dumoulin/Ulf Jr/whoever else is down there.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 am

There s an old saying I'm sure you've all heard:

Time marches on.

In this case I think that Brooks is showing that saying to be true...unfortunately. :(

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 am

I can't see anyone giving Brooks 6 million contract for 3-4 years. That's ludicrous! I like Brooks, but he's been getting bad fast. I think that most other NHL teams would see that too.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:08 am

As a bottom pairing guy, he'd still be effective, but because of his reputation, he will want paid like a top guy and will want top pair minutes. Perhaps a young team in need of blue line help will give him a raise over what he is making now, but that is the only scenario I can see where it happens. Almost no defensemen (not named Nick Lidstrom) remain in the top pairing into their mid-30's. Given Martin's injuries this season, it's more glaring now because he isn't 100% yet and cannot cover for Brooks the way he did a year ago.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Almost no defensemen (not named Nick Lidstrom) remain in the top pairing into their mid-30's.

I believe this to be incorrect.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:08 am

Antonio wrote:The idea of trading away Despres that I hear on media constantly and/or Bortuzzo seems ludicrous to me. Quite honestly, I would MUCH rather see Letang and Orpik go, and Despres and Bortuzzo stay. Also, I have loved Niskanen this year, but can't see paying him more than 3.5million...MAYBE 4 next year...especially if we could unload the $891 million we are giving greasy hair. I would rather move one or all of them and in the process try and pick up a cheaper solid 4th defensemen to augment. I don't think we would be terrible with Martin, Scuderi, Maatta, Despres, Bortuzzo, a solid 4/5 replacement or Nisky if he could be had for the right price, plus Engelland (who I prefer as a 4th line winger...seems solid there and has some skill for it)/Dumoulin/Ulf Jr/whoever else is down there.

This.

Despres and Bortuzzo bring more of what this team needs now, in the playoffs and moving forward next season and beyond. Size, snarl, desire and youthful energy.

Moving either of these 6'4 young D while continuing to trot out an obviously declining Orpik is not a recipe for success this coming postseason and definitely not beyond.

Add in the fact that Shero has to move some $$$ from D to F now to balance out this year's team, if he wants to make a legit run, and it is obvious that the best move is to deal one of the aging D-men.

For me, Orpik would be 3rd on that least because he would probably bring the least in return.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 am

i really like bortuzzo, but his warts are showing lately. now i think there's still a chance that he could be a solid #6, getting 12 insulated minutes a game in the playoffs, but that's theoretical at this point.

with that said, i think there's a better chance of him being a good #6 than there is of orpik being a good #4 next year. if that matters.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 am

No doubt Bortuzzo and Despres both have holes in their games, but they are also both trending up while the older guys are clearly trending down.

The young guys should have been getting minutes since September. Experience is the biggest thing that they both need at this point.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 am

After I read the SI article I simply couldn't understand why Orpik and Martin were getting a free pass to the Olympics considering the injuries and declining play this year versus last year. If the U.S. gets waxed, we'll know it is because of the same odd favoritism we see play out in front of our own eyes here.

And I totally agree, what team watching game film this year would EVER pay him $6M? Pro teams actually employ scouts for a reason.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:31 am

Gaucho wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:Almost no defensemen (not named Nick Lidstrom) remain in the top pairing into their mid-30's.

Of the top 25 ranked NHL defenders, only 2 (Chara and Boyle) are 35+
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jmh470 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:37 am

Nothing quiet about it.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:After I read the SI article I simply couldn't understand why Orpik and Martin were getting a free pass to the Olympics considering the injuries and declining play this year versus last year. If the U.S. gets waxed, we'll know it is because of the same odd favoritism we see play out in front of our own eyes here.

And I totally agree, what team watching game film this year would EVER pay him $6M? Pro teams actually employ scouts for a reason.

Yea the articles on the selection process really didn't get into much discussion of Orpik and Martin, as though it was a foregone and generally accepted conclusion and there has been little criticism of the choices.

I found it strange that Colligan gave DB credit for protecting Orpik... I don't really see any evidence for that and thought that Colligan's was rather weak. But, if true, why would they be taking a guy that they have to protect in NHL regular season games to Sochi?
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:45 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I admit this comes as a surprise, even though I was thinking more in the 30-35 range, not 35+.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby praxitas on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
And I totally agree, what team watching game film this year would EVER pay him $6M? .

Holmgren, Paul

Examples:
35 + Timmonen at 6mil
35 + Streit 5.25 mil

I don't think Orpik would be considered worse than those two. They have more of an offensive element to their game, while Brooks has a more physical element.
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 am

Wonder if Orpik makes this Olympic team, or is considered a "lock" if Shero and DB aren't there pushing for him....There is no way that he should be a lock to make the team...

I'd be shocked if Shero dealt Orpik by the deadline. He is one of the few veteran leaders in the locker room. He is definitely not what he used to be, but they may view him more for intangibles at this point.........
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:25 am

Orpik won't be going anywhere this season and as much sense as it makes to let him walk in the offseason, somehow I see Shero bringing him back.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:Orpik won't be going anywhere this season and as much sense as it makes to let him walk in the offseason, somehow I see Shero bringing him back.

Preserve the core
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 am

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:Orpik won't be going anywhere this season and as much sense as it makes to let him walk in the offseason, somehow I see Shero bringing him back.

I don't. How could he bring him back with all the defensive talent he has drafted over the past 5+ years? At some point, he has to let some of these younger guys play.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

So the original statement is false.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins