Game 56 vs Ott - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 56 vs Ott - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:24 am

Pens win 2-1 in OT

- Pens defensive game showed some improvement, however key saves from MAF were needed (that glove save on Karlsson will be long running highlight)
- Signs of life from Kunitz, Neal, and Sutter, strong games for all
- TSN feed had a story where HCDB has theory that the refs are not calling penalties on opponents because Pens PPlay is so lethal :face:
- Lots of testiness for teams who have not played each other a lot
- Crosby looked fatigued and perhaps slightly banged up on the bench after his 5-6 altercation with Neal last night. I wish that Engy could have addressed this
- Loved the Borts tilt. He is like a mini Chara to me... Pens need him to play more
- With Pyatt injury, who gets the call or will we see some more waivers chaff?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 56 vs Ott - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby meow on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:25 am

That was one of the best games I've ever seen Paul Martin play.
Last edited by meow on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 am

Nealer finally hit the net. thank God!
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 am

Steve Ott should have brought teammates, to think he had a chance of beating the entire penguins team in a game of hockey was plain stupid.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 am

Like I said, big win. Not a great game to watch, though. Kudos to the Pens for not letting their frustration get the best of them.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:32 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 2-1 in OT

- Pens defensive game showed some improvement, however key saves from MAF were needed (that glove save on Karlsson will be long running highlight)
- TSN feed had a story where HCDB has theory that the refs are not calling penalties on opponents because Pens PPlay is so lethal :face:
- Crosby looked fatigued and perhaps slightly banged up on the bench after his 5-6 altercation with Neal last night. I wish that Engy could have addressed this
- Loved the Borts tilt. He is like a mini Chara to me... Pens need him to play more

That theory on the refs is not as absurd as you might think. If the refs know that every time they call a penalty the pens are putting the puck into the net, they could easily let a few slip.

Also, I too loved what Borts brought last night. Mini Chara is a small reach, but the guy definitely is different than the other defensemen we have in our system. More the reason to keep him for years to come.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:37 am

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:40 am

Gaucho wrote:Like I said, big win. Not a great game to watch, though. Kudos to the Pens for not letting their frustration get the best of them.

To me Sid really let it get to him. He looked angry, frustrated, exhausted and whiney at various points. More often than not he responds to all the extra attention by scoring a few, but last night it looked like the mid season dog days and impending Olympics were on his mind.
Overall the team responded well to the adversity, this is exactly how they will be played in the post season so better get used to it!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:40 am

Loved everything the team did last night. The officials...Ugh. You can see the regression the past two years pretty clearly. The Sens have taken the ole Red Wings approach of "getting in the way" of guys and added putting an arm bar out in front of him. It's got to be called, it just has to be called or we're going back to late 90s and early 2000s style hockey before too long.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 am

Luckybreak wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Like I said, big win. Not a great game to watch, though. Kudos to the Pens for not letting their frustration get the best of them.

To me Sid really let it get to him. He looked angry, frustrated, exhausted and whiney at various points. More often than not he responds to all the extra attention by scoring a few, but last night it looked like the mid season dog days and impending Olympics were on his mind.
Overall the team responded well to the adversity, this is exactly how they will be played in the post season so better get used to it!

I loved Steigy's "his kinda game" comment.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 am

-Great to see Pens play a patient style and be rewarded
-Bortuzzo once again earning the sweater. The guy brings an element that no one else in the organization can. Imagine when he is more seasoned, experienced. Love his desire, snarl and fearlessness.
-Orpik and Martin were much better.
-Neal seemed like the scope on his rifle was slightly off all night, but he took is time and made no mistake when it mattered.
-Although Gibbons continues to have his moments, 87 needs a legit NHLer sooner rather than later. Preferably someone that can help deter a lot of what 87 had to deal with last night.
-Nice to see Sutter make his presence felt.
-Fleury seems to be rebuilding his confidence game by game. More than the stellar save, great to see him battle all night and win a game with this type of playoff feel.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens win 2-1 in OT

That theory on the refs is not as absurd as you might think. If the refs know that every time they call a penalty the pens are putting the puck into the net, they could easily let a few slip.

Also, I too loved what Borts brought last night. Mini Chara is a small reach, but the guy definitely is different than the other defensemen we have in our system. More the reason to keep him for years to come.

Borts has used his reach extremely well and manages to poke pucks out of danger or away from opposing players when the other guy was half a rink closer. Certainly has his limitations but he really should be playing more - he, Despres and obv OM have outplayed the vets and should be part of the Pens future. I'll be pretty upset if Despres or Bort are traded.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 am

Yeah, there was no room out there. The Sens played hard. An exciting game all the way down to the finish. These teams have a "thing" for eachother.

No callups. Megna will take Pyatt's spot.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 am

Very strange that Engelland only played 6 minutes. It was a physical game, and the Pens were down a forward. Nevertheless, Engelland in = Pens win.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 am

i really dislike adams. this is a garbage move. but i guess it's better than hair pulling and turning your body to draw boarding penalties, as he's wont to do.

shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 am

Gaucho wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

I loved Steigy's "his kinda game" comment.

He was right, but that was all that was needed to jinx Sid, like when they start saying 'shutout' repeatedly just before Flower gets scored on... :face:
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:54 am

- The game was thoroughly enjoyable to watch for a 1-1 game.
- That save was ridiculous.
- Neal can't carry the puck.
- Geno once again made some moves that just defy logic.
- Sid is fine, lull in the season.
- I have always liked Bortuzzo and I want to see him play more.
- Holy Maata.. love that kid each and every game I see him play.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 am

shmenguin wrote:i really dislike adams. this is a garbage move. but i guess it's better than hair pulling and turning your body to draw boarding penalties, as he's wont to do.

I'd rather see him doing this because - well, what else does Adams bring 5 on 5? And we all know he's gonna play.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Anderson played very well; 44 or more saves. GWG happened because Neal was patient with the puck; shot when anderson was out of the goal space. ;)
Happy to see the pens remain patient with a tie game.
Kunitz hand-cuffed anderson with a couple shots, but he made the save.
I thoughts brooks did a good job last night; in vogue to bash him.
Gibbons is getting tossed around, but he comes back for more. Congrats to him for the goal and being
named a star.
Sutter; offense dies on his line.

Kyle Turris; a hothead, but he can play.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:11 pm

I continue to see Gibbons make plays, but they are almost never with Crosby or Kunitz involved - especially with them on the end of a pass that gives them a direct scoring chance. I get that the D may cheat toward the other two and thus "dare" Gibbons to take his own chance, but there are plays every single night where he just can't complete a pass to one of them that would end up in a great chance.

Maybe that will come around, I don't know, but it is a glaring hole in his game and one that was not in Dupuis'.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Luckybreak wrote:I'd rather see him doing this because - well, what else does Adams bring 5 on 5? And we all know he's gonna play.

i hate seeing anyone on our team do that. adams should be embarrassed.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 pm

-Maatta is a bona fide #1 in the making IMO. His shot and shot selection are impressive, he knows when to pass/fake/shoot and WILL ONLY GET BETTER! What a pick and revelation of the season.
-This team needs a net-front guy for these games (playoff type). Anderson played well but any goalie in the league will choose 40 clear shots over 15 screened. With Pyatt out this should be what Shero targets, whether it's someone who can fill in on Sid's wing or another 3rd line plug.
-MAF made the kind of save I've not seen since the 09 playoffs, the kind that makes you jump up and go "Wow! How did he do that?!" as said above his confidence is growing game by game. The team will also have greater confidence in him, all positive stuff.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:I'd rather see him doing this because - well, what else does Adams bring 5 on 5? And we all know he's gonna play.

C'mon Shmenguin you know this happens every game, even from some of the best in the world (gasp!), and if Sens are gonna play the 'get in the way' game I see this as fair response.

Was Geno's head butt of the boards as morally outrageous? I'd rather see Adams do this than Cooke throw his elbow, in the grand scheme it wasn't the worst!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

C'mon Shmenguin you know this happens every game, even from some of the best in the world (gasp!), and if Sens are gonna play the 'get in the way' game I see this as fair response.

Was Geno's head butt of the boards as morally outrageous? I'd rather see Adams do this than Cooke throw his elbow, in the grand scheme it wasn't the worst!

embellishments happen every game. dives don't. and they don't happen with respectable players.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Steve Ott should have brought teammates, to think he had a chance of beating the entire penguins team in a game of hockey was plain stupid.

Applause
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins