Pens acquire Machachek for Thompson

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens acquire Machachek for Thompson

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:37 pm

Pens acquire Spencer Machachek from Columbus for Paul Thompson.
Last edited by mikey287 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pens acquire Mahachek for Thompson

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:39 pm

spencer-for - hire! :) okay mikey287; what is the deal on either of these guys? you holding back on us. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Pens acquire Mahachek for Thompson

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Once had hopes that Machachek would make it as a fourth liner in this league. Probably adds some oomph to the WBS Pens...he could serve as a call-up for us, but I think Zolnierczyk is a better player for us at this point...I also thought we once had Machachek, but I guess I'm thinking of someone else...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pens acquire Machachek for Thompson

Postby Bioshock on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Finally! The winger I've always wanted!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 pm

I had at least heard of Thompson.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I just looked through my notes, I have nothing of substance on him. I remember watching him years ago, but those notes are on a hard drive some place from a past computer...he was grinder, he hits things, AA skater, goofballed a few too many chances to ever make it as a complementary scorer even...thought he'd make it as a PKer and fourth line energy type in Atlanta or Winnipeg, but it never materialized...

With Thompson, seems like he's more of an AHL goal-scorer that you tend to see...just not quite quick enough to make it in the show...

I don't immediately know the point of the deal as I don't follow the AHL as a league, I mostly try to follow select players as best I can...in some cases, a GM can reach out for a "unilateral" trade almost..."hey, look, one of my [XYZ] got called up to the big club and it's gonna be long-term, I need [ABC] for the lineup down there, can we swap this contract for this one?" And GMs that are friendly can pull that off without much fuss...Wild and Sharks, Kings and Habs have each done that in the last 24 hours or so too...with a long break for NHL clubs, you can't make these AHL deals really during the trade freeze, so GMs are being proactive where they can...no big deal...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Sounds like someone hershey would stockpile. Maybe the pens can move him for a 20 year old who isnt putting up a point per game there yet.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Sounds like they were just clearing cap space by moving Thompson... I think Blake Wheeler is one his way here
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:50 pm

mikey287 wrote:I just looked through my notes, I have nothing of substance on him. I remember watching him years ago, but those notes are on a hard drive some place from a past computer...he was grinder, he hits things, AA skater, goofballed a few too many chances to ever make it as a complementary scorer even...thought he'd make it as a PKer and fourth line energy type in Atlanta or Winnipeg, but it never materialized...

With Thompson, seems like he's more of an AHL goal-scorer that you tend to see...just not quite quick enough to make it in the show...

I don't immediately know the point of the deal as I don't follow the AHL as a league, I mostly try to follow select players as best I can...in some cases, a GM can reach out for a "unilateral" trade almost..."hey, look, one of my [XYZ] got called up to the big club and it's gonna be long-term, I need [ABC] for the lineup down there, can we swap this contract for this one?" And GMs that are friendly can pull that off without much fuss...Wild and Sharks, Kings and Habs have each done that in the last 24 hours or so too...with a long break for NHL clubs, you can't make these AHL deals really during the trade freeze, so GMs are being proactive where they can...no big deal...

Please tell me your notes are handwritten on little index card in pale colors.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:57 pm

An odd thing about his stats.

Back in the 2011/12 season, he played 13 games for the Jets and got 9 points. Pretty respectable for a young player, and then he never gets another shot at the bigs!!!!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:35 pm

mikey287 wrote:I just looked through my notes, I have nothing of substance on him. I remember watching him years ago, but those notes are on a hard drive some place from a past computer...he was grinder, he hits things, AA skater, goofballed a few too many chances to ever make it as a complementary scorer even...thought he'd make it as a PKer and fourth line energy type in Atlanta or Winnipeg, but it never materialized...

I figure Machacek caps out at maybe a decent bottom 6 winger, more likely 4th line than 3rd line. Not a bad guy to have around for a bit of depth. Definitely more useful to the organization than Thompson, IMO.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Gaucho wrote:

Please tell me your notes are handwritten on little index card in pale colors.

I prefer to think he tattoos them on himself like Guy Pearce's character in Memento.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:33 am

WBS won in this deal. A good hockey trade for them. I do not think this helps Springfield at all. I think it was a bit of a "These guys are good people, lets give them a shot somewhere else to see if they can turn the corner" type thing.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins