thoughts on the NHL and penguins in general in the Olympics?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NHL/Penguins taking part in Olympics?

Hate them.
22%
Love them.
69%
Who cares.
9%

Total votes : 32

thoughts on the NHL and penguins in general in the Olympics?

Postby Antonio on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:54 am

i was wondering what other people thought about the league participating in the Olympics? Personally I hate it for the following reasons.

1) Most importantly to me, the Olympics were always historically for amateurs. I detested it within the US started sending professionals to Olympic Games.

2) I feel that the players who make millions and millions of dollars because of the loyalty of fans of a given team should be primarily concerned with that team. if someone gets hurt and have a major impact on the season of the team because of the Olympics I don't feel that that is fair to the fans. Ultimately, the fan should be the primary concern since they are the ones who make the entire league function.

I know the argument is made that players want to play for their country and what an honor it is. While I accept that, I personally feel that you kind of give that opportunity up when you become a professional to make millions of dollars. That's why the Olympics were around for the longest time, only allowing amateurs. Pros already have a major venue to display their talents on...the point of the olympics was never to give them another. Plus, if Sid shatters his leg, no one will say "well it was worth it."
Last edited by Antonio on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: thoughts on Olympics

Postby slappybrown on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 am

I love them (sidenote: the thread police, Sgts. Gaucho and Crankshaft will be all over you momentarily).
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:04 am

How is this Pens related?

:slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:13 am

Reported.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:32 am

Best on best tournament = best hockey possible. That's a win for me.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:43 am

The Olympics should be the best atheletes in the world. Professional sports as they are today are a rlatively new concept in the world. All the major sports at some point were run like a sideshow. You had an NFL championship game moved into an arena and change it's rules up at one point. Looking back at all the defunct NBA, NFL and NHL teams proves this too. Baseball is probably the most stable and it's funny that it' a holdout still for pros to play but that will never happen because shutting the season down for two weeks just won't happen.

As for hockey, I don't care if some college kid now doesn't get a gold medal that no one sees because the games are televised in prime spots.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Antonio on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:45 am

its penguins related because the main point of my question is as it relates to a significant number of our most important players. part of the reason that I don't like it is the risk it poses to the success of this team this year.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:00 am

Change the thread title to Pens in olympics GDT or something. Cause we could use a thread on here to use for it.

Problem solved
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 am

If Sid scores another golden goal I hope Steigy doesn't scold me for booing him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: thoughts on the NHL and penguins in general in the Olymp

Postby Antonio on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:07 am

Fixed.

i figured I would be in the minority but I must admit I am surprised so far that I am so far in the minority. :).
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18 am

Never had an issue. Just thought I would try and help you out thats all.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:43 am

Antonio wrote:Most importantly to me, the Olympics were always historically for amateurs. I detested it when the US started sending professionals to Olympic Games.

:thumb: Agree 100%
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:42 pm

mikey287 wrote:Best on best tournament = best hockey possible. That's a win for me.

Just keep the Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere EVERY year. Then have the Winter games in late June. End of conflict. :D
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:46 pm

DelPen wrote:The Olympics should be the best atheletes in the world.

Olympics are historically for amateurs because the best athletes weren't getting paid to do whatever it was that they do.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Wasn't the Red Army getting paid? Not during the olympics but when they toured the NHL and Summit series. Just asking thats all.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Orlando Penguin on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Love watching the best play against each other on such a big stage. Don't really have a rooting interest other than hoping none of our Penguins get hurt. Hell, I actually cheered when Sid got the golden goal because it was him. If it had been a non-Penguin, I wouldn't have cheered.

#deportme
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:11 pm

I kind of enjoy it when I get to root against Sid and Geno. I get to feel whats its like to be on the other side. I cursed Sid's name when he scored the golden goal.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:12 pm

CERV96 wrote:Wasn't the Red Army getting paid? Not during the olympics but when they toured the NHL and Summit series. Just asking thats all.

I know various branches of Soviet government (military, intelligence) "sponsered" teams. I think they were paid as soliders in the army, or thugs at the KGB, but not as hockey players. Kind of like the company softball team who's members are given a nice home, nice cars, and steroids.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:13 pm

CERV96 wrote:Wasn't the Red Army getting paid? Not during the olympics but when they toured the NHL and Summit series. Just asking thats all.

They were paid as members of the Army, who "just happened" to play hockey. But yes, essentially they were paid to train and play hockey for their country.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:27 pm

I like that the pros get to play. The Olympics should be the best competing against the best. If it's amateur vs amateurs what is that really proving? That you are the best of group that isn't good enough to make the pros? Who cares about that?

I wish they were held every year. The every 4 year thing is ok, but you could have a participant who might have won something miss out due to injury and then 8 years will have gone by and they aren't at their physical peak anymore. It's more of a who happens to be best at the time the games are held than a who is the best in the world. Most of the time it's going to be the same person/team, but having the event held more frequently would remove any doubt.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:35 pm

The Olympics as amateur competition was a myth. The old Eastern Bloc teams and teams from countries like China today are professional athletes pure and simple. They're paid to train and compete. Yes, some of them are in the army but they were less in the army than a kid that plays Call of Duty on Xbox. The only difference was athletes got the uniforms provided to them by the state not the local military surplus store or eBay.

To call most of the Olympic athletes of the world amateurs is even more misleading than calling college football and basketball players student-athletes.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:44 pm

sniper wrote:I like that the pros get to play. The Olympics should be the best competing against the best. If it's amateur vs amateurs what is that really proving? That you are the best of group that isn't good enough to make the pros? Who cares about that?

I wish they were held every year. The every 4 year thing is ok, but you could have a participant who might have won something miss out due to injury and then 8 years will have gone by and they aren't at their physical peak anymore. It's more of a who happens to be best at the time the games are held than a who is the best in the world. Most of the time it's going to be the same person/team, but having the event held more frequently would remove any doubt.

The competition to me is really about testing each country's entire development system. You pick the best players the country has produced and set them against eachother every 4 years. Sure a single player missing from the competition might have a huge impact on a team like Slovakia (Chara, for instance). But Stamkos missing from Canada is not going to matter all that much, which is a testament to their hockey development system.

It's great that the US is now an elite team. Goes to show how far hockey has come in this country.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:25 pm

I just don't understand the idea that 'the best should play in the Olympics' whether it's hockey, bb or any other pro sport.

IMO, the ultimate goal in hockey should be the Cup. I feel that the Olympics should be a step on the way to that goal, and a chance at lasting glory for those younger players who may never get an opportunity to play for the Cup.

I wonder how much meaning a USA gold would have, compared to 1980, for those that love the idea?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:27 pm

I think a gold medal would mean alot more to a good majority of the players than a stanley cup would. It would to me as a player. I'm not trying to downplay winning a cup, but that medal represents your country not just one city that you play for.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:49 pm

I wouldn't mind if hockey created its own World Cup and the Olympics were U-21.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins