Eddie O... which vet?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:55 pm

If Edzo wants to be seriously considered for a coaching job, he should get an AHL job and pay his dues for a few years.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,153
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:01 pm

He said that's what he wants to do
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, I guess it pays to read the article all the way through! :thumb:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,153
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Tico Rick wrote:If Edzo wants to be seriously considered for a coaching job, he should get an AHL job and pay his dues for a few years.


Yeah as a bench coach of some sort. Am I wrong in remembering that his coaching experience is exclusively as the Pens' head coach? The Penguins' couple years out of the playoffs are actually impressive because they looked like a pathetic laughing stock, but really they were never more than a couple years from being competitors.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,673
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby the wicked child on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 pm

AFAIK, that is correct... Edzo had no professional coaching experience.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,544
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby westside on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I blame him for lemieux leaving. I also blame him for blackhawks broadcasts being awful


I actually liked him back in the day with Lange. And as bad as he is with the hawks, Pens current crew is the worst in the league in my opinion. Errey is pretty funny and fine for what he does but Steigy just kills it for me. Seems like a great dude to have a beer with and hear his stories, but as an announcer just turrible.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,230
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:13 am
Location: South City, CA

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Pitts on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 pm

the wicked child wrote:AFAIK, that is correct... Edzo had no professional coaching experience.

^^^ either before or after the Pens head coach gig
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,445
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 pm

shmenguin wrote:they brought recchi back the year after they sent him to the canes and put him with sid all year. couldn't have been too hostile


Yeah, not sure how bringing two guys into the team at the same time and them not getting along is not plausible. I mean I don't know what happened but there was definitely rumors about plenty of issues there.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,064
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:If Edzo wants to be seriously considered for a coaching job, he should get an AHL job and pay his dues for a few years.


Yeah as a bench coach of some sort. Am I wrong in remembering that his coaching experience is exclusively as the Pens' head coach? The Penguins' couple years out of the playoffs are actually impressive because they looked like a pathetic laughing stock, but really they were never more than a couple years from being competitors.


He had the young guys play hard for a year but once they got talent looked like pond hockey. Those games were very hard to watch as a fan. We complain about HCDB but that Edzo had no real structure. Adjustments! We don't need no stinking adjustments.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,064
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby SteelCityFan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:41 am

westside wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I blame him for lemieux leaving. I also blame him for blackhawks broadcasts being awful


I actually liked him back in the day with Lange. And as bad as he is with the hawks, Pens current crew is the worst in the league in my opinion. Errey is pretty funny and fine for what he does but Steigy just kills it for me. Seems like a great dude to have a beer with and hear his stories, but as an announcer just turrible.


Couldn't agree more
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,016
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:03 am

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby no name on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:47 am

LeClair and Ziggy were not in hockey much longer after thet left the Pens.

Sid took a lot of crap his rookie year.


Sid had some growing up to do that first year. He dove way to much and whined to the refs alot. I didn't like him much his first year.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,938
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Penspal on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:17 am

meecrofilm wrote:
shmenguin wrote:they brought recchi back the year after they sent him to the canes and put him with sid all year. couldn't have been too hostile


Not necessarily:

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sp ... z2t7DKMQIK

Coulda been LeClair too

Image

:pop:


That's quite a find....

Could have been both, but one guy took the heat, why burn both when you only need to burn one.

I hope it was Leclair. Long time Flyer, and the guy who injured Malkin in pre-season in his rookie year. (accident I know, but Flyer hate runs deep)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,392
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:08 am

meecrofilm wrote:
shmenguin wrote:they brought recchi back the year after they sent him to the canes and put him with sid all year. couldn't have been too hostile


Not necessarily:

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sp ... z2t7DKMQIK

Coulda been LeClair too

Image

:pop:


that gif sold me. LeClair wore orange under his Pens jersey...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,210
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby KG on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 am

Maybe it's just me, but I don't take Edzo very serious as a head coach. Not sure he has that much respect around the league.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 pm

I wonder if LeClair is at the top of "My worst signings" list for Craig Patrick...?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,551
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby no name on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 pm

KG wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't take Edzo very serious as a head coach. Not sure he has that much respect around the league.


Oh please, Edzo was not a coach at all, he was Marios puppet in the locker room. I am sure Mario told him what to say and how to say it. They wanted someone who would eb able to talk to the media and as a spokes person for the team. I am sure Edzo knew having former NHL head coach would amke it easier to land National broadcasting gig.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,938
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:22 pm

no name wrote:
KG wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't take Edzo very serious as a head coach. Not sure he has that much respect around the league.


Oh please, Edzo was not a coach at all, he was Marios puppet in the locker room. I am sure Mario told him what to say and how to say it. They wanted someone who would eb able to talk to the media and as a spokes person for the team. I am sure Edzo knew having former NHL head coach would amke it easier to land National broadcasting gig.


While this may not be true, everyone in the league (and I myself) believes this, which is why Edzo would need to get several years of AHL coaching experience under his belt before anyone will seriously consider him as a legitimate candidate for an NHL coaching job. Personally, I think the job he currently has is the one he's most suited for.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,153
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Jim wrote:I wonder if LeClair is at the top of "My worst signings" list for Craig Patrick...?


Really? The guy signed a two year deal at time with a cap average of $1.8 million. Very little risk.

Edit: Also want to add he had 22 goals and 55 points in the first year of that contract. Very good year given the circumstances.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,956
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Jim wrote:I wonder if LeClair is at the top of "My worst signings" list for Craig Patrick...?


Really? The guy signed a two year deal at time with a cap average of $1.8 million. Very little risk.

Edit: Also want to add he had 22 goals and 55 points in the first year of that contract. Very good year given the circumstances.



But he was a cancer with a capital butthole and the relationship ended VERY poorly indeed.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,551
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:57 pm

no name wrote:LeClair and Ziggy were not in hockey much longer after thet left the Pens.

Sid took a lot of crap his rookie year.


Sid had some growing up to do that first year. He dove way to much and whined to the refs alot. I didn't like him much his first year.


Palffy retired from hockey last year. I'm pretty sure there was a thread about it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,673
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Jim wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Jim wrote:I wonder if LeClair is at the top of "My worst signings" list for Craig Patrick...?


Really? The guy signed a two year deal at time with a cap average of $1.8 million. Very little risk.

Edit: Also want to add he had 22 goals and 55 points in the first year of that contract. Very good year given the circumstances.



But he was a cancer with a capital butthole and the relationship ended VERY poorly indeed.


So out of the 2 year contract, he played very well the first year and assisted in the development of Ryan Malone but his second season was cut short and he was easily disposed of given his contract wasn't that big of a deal. Considering this the worst signings for Craig Patrick is extremely dramatic.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,956
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby shootinthepuck on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:47 pm

I was always under the impression Recchi had no love for Sid and then upon his return accepted that it was "his team". If I had to bet a dollar, it's him.
shootinthepuck
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby JS© on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 pm

sniper wrote:Olczyk didn't like Palffy. I believe it was a hawks broadcast earlier this year where he mentioned something about not being happy with his effort. Said something along the lines of he played when he felt like it, which wasn't often. It came off as Olczyk basically laying part of the blame for his coaching failure on Palffy, who was one of his better players not trying or caring.

I have no idea if Palffy was the guy the article is talking about, but it wouldn't surprise me given what Olczyk said earlier this year.


I don't think it was a Hawks broadcast but I remember the show that you're talking about. Edzo's line stuck out and it was very obvious that the name Palffy still bothers him. His actual quote was something along the lines of "(sigh)...(laugh)...I only wonder what we could have did to keep him here."
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,140
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby no name on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 pm

I thought when LeClair left he walked away from his contract, which ment he could just leave the Pens without us paying him?? Like how Kovalchuk walked away from the Pens??

I was wrong he was released. wikipedia
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,938
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Eddie O... which vet?

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Players can not be released (at least, not in the last 10 years) without a mutual agreement to termination. LeClair agreed to a mutual termination of the contract, IIRC...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,098
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail