Autographs through snail mail

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Autographs through snail mail

Postby saleen66 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:51 pm

All,

My first time to Consol was Feb 25 2012. That was the game Malkin got punched by Rolosson in the face, then decided to get a HT and score the goal of the year in an 8-1 victory. I still have my ticket stubs and ICETIME magazines from that game as well as the local paper etc. I was going to make a memory collage to hang up in the Man Cave. The one thing I would like to add to it would be Malkin's autograph on a ticket stub and Neal's autograph on the ICETIME mag cover. I live in NC and the chances of me getting those signatures through meeting in person is very limited. I was wondering if anybody knows if I write a legit note describing what I am trying to do and also send the two items through snail mail to the penguins, do you think they would sign the 2 things and send them back? If not, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Robert (saleen66)
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Autographs through snail mail

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:00 pm

I say give it a try. All you have to lose is an Icetime program and ticket stub. And if you don't get them returned then that is all you have lost. But if they are returned you have two great keepsakes. Definatily worth a shot...you can't score if you don't shoot. If I were you I would mail them separately to each player, in care of the Penguins, with a return envelope for them to mail back to you with the postage already paid. In my experience this is the best way to get this accomplished. I've gotten some nice baseball and football autographs this way. Good luck and let us know if you are successful.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:53 pm

About 15 years ago I sent about 10 hockey cards out for autographs. Sent it to the team address c/o the player I wanted with a SASE and a short note asking for their auto on the card. I got 3 of them back. Steve Yzerman was the only one signed, but he folded the card in half in case I was just doing it to sell on ebay. Mario Lemieux returned my card unsigned plus a different one signed. Cant remember now who all the players were but I do remember Jaromir Jagr, Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman and Peter Forsberg.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Do not send anything you're worried about getting back because there is a good chance it will not be sent back.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Do not send anything you're worried about getting back because there is a good chance it will not be sent back.

As a rule of thumb, don't send anything (cards, photos, etc) that you can't live without.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Do not send anything you're worried about getting back because there is a good chance it will not be sent back.

As a rule of thumb, don't send anything (cards, photos, etc) that you can't live without.

BEPF

Isn't that what I just said? :lol:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saleen66 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Cool. Yeah, it is not the end of the world if they don't come back. I have the second stub and ICETIME mag. I Will do the sending both to the individual players. I would hope since they are not sellable "valluables" that I can get it back. We will see. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes and post a pick of the collage once complete.
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shootinthepuck on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:04 pm

This is a hobby of mine. You'll find varied successes depending on time, player, etc. it's pretty fun to get something back in the mailbox.
shootinthepuck

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:58 am

saleen66 wrote:Cool. Yeah, it is not the end of the world if they don't come back. I have the second stub and ICETIME mag. I Will do the sending both to the individual players. I would hope since they are not sellable "valluables" that I can get it back. We will see. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes and post a pick of the collage once complete.

Maybe include a little message saying its purpose and the personal value behind the items?

Not sure you're story but maybe make up something like it's for your son...it was his first game. Those guys are probably more likely to go out of their way for a kid than an adult.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:37 pm

I've tried this twice with two different players. Both times, I got the item back with a form letter explaining "player x" was too busy to sign the thousands of requests that come in. Similarly, both times were in the offseason when they would be the least busy. Similarly, I also made up a story each time to get a response. So long story short, you will probably experience the same results and it takes them forever to get back to you. I am not saying not to try it, but don't expect to be thrilled with the results.

On the other hand, I sent Conan O'Brien a hand written letter on a legal pad with a red sharpie explaining I was writing on a whim while I was watching his show. About 3 weeks later I received the letter and envelope back along with a signed 8x10. It's very badass.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby E-Ramone on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:14 pm

I mailed Mario a card asking for his autograph back when I was probably about 12 years old. I included a small note with it saying how much I admired him and stuff. I did include a self addressed, stamped envelope with it. I got it back in the mail several months later with his autograph on it, and I still have it to this day. I think that was back in the early 90's. I say give it a shot! :thumb:
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SixTeaSix on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:52 pm

I have had a good bit of success when sending items to the Pens for an autograph. Sid, Mario and Billy G all returned items I have sent to them recently (last couple of seasons). The key is to send a postage paid envelope with your address on it. That makes it so much simpler for them. Worked each time for me. It doesnt hurt to mention that your son is named after the Big Guy either. Just saying.
SixTeaSix

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins