Penguins Lines IF Healthy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Lines IF Healthy

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:58 am

I assume you intentionally left Dupuis out?

I guess the lines that exist within the realm of possibility are

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen

If maatta is still showing fatigue then Engelland in his spot.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:51 am

I assume you intentionally left Dupuis out?

I would guess he means going into the playoffs, there really isn't even a chance he could make it back for the SCF if we got there.

Those line and D pairings look good to me. 3rd and 4th lines will be the test of this team going into the playoffs. You need those lines that will end up on the + side of things. Sneak a goal in here and there and contribute. You see that every year in the playoff, teams have those lines that steal a game in a series for their team. Right now we don't get that from our bottom lines.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Stempniak is a really good player. There would be no reason to take him away from Sid in this scenario. If Sid had his A game going right now (I'm not convinced he even has his B game right now), that line would be killing.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Ideally i would go with

Kunitz - Sid - Stemp : has shown good chemistry and drive to the net
Jussi - Malkin - Neal : worked all year why break it up
Vitale/Gibbons - Sutter - Bennet : I like the speed and physicalness Vitale brings, but Gibbons has been playing really well
Glass - Goc - Vitale/Adams: Adams if you have Vitale on the 3rd line otherwise

Martin - Orpik
Scuds - Despres (letang if healthy)
Maata - Nisky
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:10 pm

darkstar57 wrote:Ideally i would go with

Kunitz - Sid - Stemp : has shown good chemistry and drive to the net
Jussi - Malkin - Neal : worked all year why break it up
Vitale/Gibbons - Sutter - Bennet : I like the speed and physicalness Vitale brings, but Gibbons has been playing really well
Glass - Goc - Vitale/Adams: Adams if you have Vitale on the 3rd line otherwise

Martin - Orpik
Scuds - Despres (letang if healthy)
Maata - Nisky

I think Vitale could sit as we all know there's no chance that Adams sits. Gibbons on the third is fine, and Glass Goc Adams is a fine 4th line.

I'd really like to see Bortuzzo in playoff hockey, I think he'd relish at the opportunity with his play this season. Rough and tumble, snarly, and physical. I'd be curious to see how Bortuzzo looks playing with a guy like Martin, someone a little more stable. It would never happen as Martin is a top pairing Dman, but I'd still like to see it.

The way I look at it right now, Bort isn't far behind the play of Orpik lately. So really, what's the difference? He's only going to get better too. Orpik has had his flashes of brilliance at times, but his game is falling apart. Hopefully the return of Martin allows Orpik to find some semblance of his former game.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:23 pm

i really would love:

kunitz crosby stemp
neal malkin bennett
jussi sutter megna/Gibbons
glass goc engo

martin orpik
maataa nisk
despres scuderi
bort

i could honestly stand to not see Adams again, and i assume letang will not be back. also i would not cry to switch orpik and bort, but out won't happen...course Adams sitting won't either.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Greyhound65 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:27 pm

When and if we play Boston I want Glass and/or Engleland assigned to shadow Marchand and take the body everytime he has the puck. Marchand kills us and he wants to play "play with the puck". We need to hammer him everytime he touches the puck. Glass and/or Engle are not offensive threats and they would do a great job of frustrating and hammering Marchand to submission.
Greyhound65

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:39 pm

If Bennett can play more like he did last night, I want him on Malkin's wing so Jussi can play with Sutter. I think in the long run I'd rather see him play with Crosby, but for now with Stempniak gelling with Sid and Kunitz, I'd rather he play with Geno.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:53 pm

I'd prefer Stepniak plays with Sutter and Bennett with Crosby. I am really impressed with Lee's ability to possess the puck, whereas Bennett is an excellent distributor. Sutter's line needs to be better at possession, its sorely lacking. Where I think Bennet's superior neutral zone play will spring sid and kunits. Plus I think bennet would show to be a better finisher.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Headshot77 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 pm

I think OP has it pretty much spot-on, except for Megna. He will probably be scratched in favor of Vitale, or possibly Engelland.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Kunitz Crosby Stempniak
Jokinen Malkin Neal
Vitale Sutter Bennett
Glass Goc Megna
Engelland

Martin Orpik
Scuderi Letang
Niskanen Maatta
Engelland

Fleury

Tocchet

That 3rd line would be so nice tough to play again. Some good defensive speed/checking where Sutter/Bennett could still put some goals in the net. I'm a big supporter of Bortuzzo/Despres over Engelland but the problem is, those 2 have been screwed with playing time the entire season. I would feel better if Despres/Bortuzzo got consistent bottom pairing minutes. Of course you need a new coach or this is a 2nd round exit.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Swap Goc/Vitale. Puck possession would be tough for that line as there is no LHS on the ice. Two alternate-handed faceoff takers on one line adds versatility for defensive situations/faceoffs. It's a shame Despres doesn't get to play on age discrimination - which isn't an indictment of your post, but an indictment of the coaching staff. He should get an NHL sweater almost every night, if not every night. Bortuzzo can be shot into the sun for all I care, he's horrendous...Engelland at full-time 12th/13th forward is fine with me.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:Bortuzzo can be shot into the sun for all I care, he's horrendous...

But he fought someone last night!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Nick Foligno, yeah, I was hoping Bort's fight strap wasn't tied down or something, anything to keep him off the ice longer...I can't believe I'd see a time in this "window" we're in now of potential championships that a defenseman would emerge who is worse than Engelland...but sure enough...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm

To me, the real problem isn't that Bortuzzo is playing now. I mean, Despres seems to have a real future, but he won't be in the lineup, if they are raising the cup, so it probably doesn't make a difference.
The problem is that Bortuzzo has so consistently gotten ice time this year. Injuries aside, DB need to have his head examined.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BCG51585 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Antonio wrote:i really would love:

kunitz crosby stemp
neal malkin bennett
jussi sutter megna/Gibbons
glass goc engo

martin orpik
maataa nisk
despres scuderi
bort

i could honestly stand to not see Adams again, and i assume letang will not be back. also i would not cry to switch orpik and bort, but out won't happen...course Adams sitting won't either.

Why play Neal out of position? If bringing in Iginla couldn't push Neal to LW, why would Bennett?
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:Swap Goc/Vitale. Puck possession would be tough for that line as there is no LHS on the ice. Two alternate-handed faceoff takers on one line adds versatility for defensive situations/faceoffs. It's a shame Despres doesn't get to play on age discrimination - which isn't an indictment of your post, but an indictment of the coaching staff. He should get an NHL sweater almost every night, if not every night. Bortuzzo can be shot into the sun for all I care, he's horrendous...Engelland at full-time 12th/13th forward is fine with me.

Now that you mention it, it would be way better to swap those 2. Completely agreed with Despres. My only hope for Bortuzzo is that he turns into a great crease clearing defenseman that we have been lacking since Hal Gill. I don't think he's going to be that guy though.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:20 am

Bortuzzo < Engelland

Neither plays when everyone's healthy.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:32 am

I really wish depres and bortuzzo were smarter. They would be a fun pair to root for in the coming years

...not that I think depres' brain deserves to keep him out of the lineup, but based on his relationship with management, I can't see him being here for very long.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Kunitz Crosby Stempniak
Jokinen Malkin Neal
Goc Sutter Bennett
Megna Vitale Engelland

Martin Letang
Maatta Niskanen
Orpik Despres

Extra FW: Gibbons, Kobasew, Harry Z

Extra D: Bortuzzo, Scuderi

Pyatt, Adams, and Scuderi... The number of goals scored against when one of these 3 are on the ice 5 on 5 compared to when they aren't is ridiculous and they provide little to no offense.

Per 60 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time when:
Pyatt is on the ice the other team scores 3.3 goals, the pens score 1.2
Adams is on the ice the other team scores 3.4 goals, the pens score 1.2
Scuderi is on the ice the other team scores 3.5 goals, the pens score 1.9

Compare that to some other players they might be competing with for ice time:
Megna is on the ice the other team scores 2.2 goals, the Pens score 2.6
Niskanen is on the ice the other team scores 1.6 goals, the Pens score 3.7.
Despres is on the ice the other team scores 2 goals, the Pens score 2.2.
Bortuzzo is on the ice the other team scores 2.4 goals, the Pens score 2.1.
Gibbons is on the ice the other ream scores 2.3 goals, the Pens score 3.3.
Maatta is on the ice the other team scores 2.2 goals, the Pens score 2.8.

Now the above numbers can be influenced by who you play with, but I believe it's those three players that are bringing everyone else down. In fact those three players numbers wise are three of the worst in the league among regulars. Pyatt and Adams face the easiest competition on the team. Scuderi is middle of the pack among the Pens D-men with Martin, Orpik, and Letang ahead of him and the rest of the D-men slightly behind. So there is some hope Scuderi will do better playing on the 3rd pairing. Adams and Pyatt should never play, but we already knew that.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:53 pm

sniper wrote:Kunitz Crosby Stempniak
Jokinen Malkin Neal
Goc Sutter Bennett
Megna Vitale Engelland

Martin Letang
Maatta Niskanen
Orpik Despres

Extra FW: Gibbons, Kobasew, Harry Z

Extra D: Bortuzzo, Scuderi

Pyatt, Adams, and Scuderi... The number of goals scored against when one of these 3 are on the ice 5 on 5 compared to when they aren't is ridiculous and they provide little to no offense.

Per 60 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time when:
Pyatt is on the ice the other team scores 3.3 goals, the pens score 1.2
Adams is on the ice the other team scores 3.4 goals, the pens score 1.2
Scuderi is on the ice the other team scores 3.5 goals, the pens score 1.9

Compare that to some other players they might be competing with for ice time:
Megna is on the ice the other team scores 2.2 goals, the Pens score 2.6
Niskanen is on the ice the other team scores 1.6 goals, the Pens score 3.7.
Despres is on the ice the other team scores 2 goals, the Pens score 2.2.
Bortuzzo is on the ice the other team scores 2.4 goals, the Pens score 2.1.
Gibbons is on the ice the other ream scores 2.3 goals, the Pens score 3.3.
Maatta is on the ice the other team scores 2.2 goals, the Pens score 2.8.

Now the above numbers can be influenced by who you play with, but I believe it's those three players that are bringing everyone else down. In fact those three players numbers wise are three of the worst in the league among regulars. Pyatt and Adams face the easiest competition on the team. Scuderi is middle of the pack among the Pens D-men with Martin, Orpik, and Letang ahead of him and the rest of the D-men slightly behind. So there is some hope Scuderi will do better playing on the 3rd pairing. Adams and Pyatt should never play, but we already knew that.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Tremendous post and only confirms the eye test when applied to Adams, Scuderi and Pyatt. Wasn't the complaint that Iginla, Morrow and Murray slowed the Pens down??? :face:

Add the lack of speed to the lack of physicality and skill and these guys are obvious addition by subtraction given the replacements you suggested. I'd probably give the edge to Gibbons over Megna at this point. I'd also put Despres with Letang and keep 44 with 7.

Scuderi so obviously needs to be out of the lineup, but #bylsmagic. :evil:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:57 pm

shmenguin wrote:I really wish depres and bortuzzo were smarter. They would be a fun pair to root for in the coming years

...not that I think depres' brain deserves to keep him out of the lineup, but based on his relationship with management, I can't see him being here for very long.

I don't really see it as a lack of intelligence, more a lack of minutes and experience. A full season of 20/night for 80 games will cure most of what currently is said to ail these two. But, #bylsmagic.

Of course signing Scuderi, thereby wasting valuable minutes on a soff has-been and allocating $$$ that should have gone to the third line to the blue line didn't help, but i digress. :face:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:10 pm

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wil ... /177/59020

Here's a well written piece that lends further credence to the fact that Bylsma could probably ice a better team night after night.

I really like the lineup he presents.

Once again Bylsma's love affair with players is hurting this team. Does DB sacrifice winning to keep his vets happy? You would think no, but lately it's getting really difficult to believe that, it seems he'll live and die with his favorite players.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:18 pm

murphydump55 wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Time-To-Trust-The-Kids--Brandon-Sutters-Struggles/177/59020

Here's a well written piece that lends further credence to the fact that Bylsma could probably ice a better team night after night.

Once again Bylsma's love affair with players is hurting this team. Does DB sacrifice winning to keep his vets happy? You would think no, but lately it's getting really difficult to believe that, it seems he'll live and die with his favorite players.

Yea, at this point it is nearly impossible to argue that the lineup decisions are based on merit. How does he watch Scuderi, game after game, stand next to or in front of opposing forwards while they deposit pucks behind Pens netminders? Sitting Engo, Despres or Bortuzzo over Scuderi at this point is blatant malfeasance and we are all lucky it hasn't gotten Fleury seriously injured already.

And Adams is clearly getting a sweater every night because he has the streak goin' and DB ain't gonna break that streak no matter how much it hurts not only Adams, but the team. Craig Adams could still be serviceable playing 50 games against the right opponents.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Time-To-Trust-The-Kids--Brandon-Sutters-Struggles/177/59020

Yea, at this point it is nearly impossible to argue that the lineup decisions are based on merit. How does he watch Scuderi, game after game, stand next to or in front of opposing forwards while they deposit pucks behind Pens netminders? Sitting Engo, Despres or Bortuzzo over Scuderi at this point is blatant malfeasance and we are all lucky it hasn't gotten Fleury seriously injured already.

And Adams is clearly getting a sweater every night because he has the streak goin' and DB ain't gonna break that streak no matter how much it hurts not only Adams, but the team. Craig Adams could still be serviceable playing 50 games against the right opponents.

Reading this article and viewing the stats posted above regarding 5 on 5 play is absolutely mind blowing that Bylsma can be so ignorant, stubborn, and blind. You don't even need the stats to realize this, they just further support it!

I can't wait until this clownsuit is relieved of his duties.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins