Penguins Lines IF Healthy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Lines IF Healthy

Postby headh on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Time-To-Trust-The-Kids--Brandon-Sutters-Struggles/177/59020

Here's a well written piece that lends further credence to the fact that Bylsma could probably ice a better team night after night.

I really like the lineup he presents.

Once again Bylsma's love affair with players is hurting this team. Does DB sacrifice winning to keep his vets happy? You would think no, but lately it's getting really difficult to believe that, it seems he'll live and die with his favorite players.

Yea, at this point it is nearly impossible to argue that the lineup decisions are based on merit. How does he watch Scuderi, game after game, stand next to or in front of opposing forwards while they deposit pucks behind Pens netminders? Sitting Engo, Despres or Bortuzzo over Scuderi at this point is blatant malfeasance and we are all lucky it hasn't gotten Fleury seriously injured already.

And Adams is clearly getting a sweater every night because he has the streak goin' and DB ain't gonna break that streak no matter how much it hurts not only Adams, but the team. Craig Adams could still be serviceable playing 50 games against the right opponents.

Reading this article and viewing the stats posted above regarding 5 on 5 play is absolutely mind blowing that Bylsma can be so ignorant, stubborn, and blind. You don't even need the stats to realize this, they just further support it!

I can't wait until this clownsuit is relieved of his duties.

HCDB simply can't believe that Adams and Glass are better hockey players than Gibbons, Megna and Vitale. The author starts to concern me when he vouches for Goc though. That dude is a total stiff as well
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 am

headh wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Time-To-Trust-The-Kids--Brandon-Sutters-Struggles/177/59020

Here's a well written piece that lends further credence to the fact that Bylsma could probably ice a better team night after night.

Once again Bylsma's love affair with players is hurting this team. Does DB sacrifice winning to keep his vets happy? You would think no, but lately it's getting really difficult to believe that, it seems he'll live and die with his favorite players.

Yea, at this point it is nearly impossible to argue that the lineup decisions are based on merit. How does he watch Scuderi, game after game, stand next to or in front of opposing forwards while they deposit pucks behind Pens netminders? Sitting Engo, Despres or Bortuzzo over Scuderi at this point is blatant malfeasance and we are all lucky it hasn't gotten Fleury seriously injured already.

And Adams is clearly getting a sweater every night because he has the streak goin' and DB ain't gonna break that streak no matter how much it hurts not only Adams, but the team. Craig Adams could still be serviceable playing 50 games against the right opponents.

Reading this article and viewing the stats posted above regarding 5 on 5 play is absolutely mind blowing that Bylsma can be so ignorant, stubborn, and blind. You don't even need the stats to realize this, they just further support it!

HCDB simply can't believe that Adams and Glass are better hockey players than Gibbons, Megna and Vitale. The author starts to concern me when he vouches for Goc though. That dude is a total stiff as well

Goc is hardly a stiff, give him linemates other than Pyatt, Adams, or Glass and you'll see a much more effective player. He's a definite upgrade on possession numbers in our bottom 6, unfortunately our bottom 6 drags those numbers down.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 am

murphydump55 wrote:
headh wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:

Goc is hardly a stiff, give him linemates other than Pyatt, Adams, or Glass and you'll see a much more effective player. He's a definite upgrade on possession numbers in our bottom 6, unfortunately our bottom 6 drags those numbers down.

Goc must have been much different at Florida because he has done nothing at all here.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:16 am

I've never noticed a player less than I have with Goc. He's been playing with sludge, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he hasn't exactly done anything impressive.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 am

shmenguin wrote:I've never noticed a player less than I have with Goc. He's been playing with sludge, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he hasn't exactly done anything impressive.

Given our bottom six - not noticing a player is a huge upgrade.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:24 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:
shmenguin wrote:I've never noticed a player less than I have with Goc. He's been playing with sludge, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he hasn't exactly done anything impressive.

Given our bottom six - not noticing a player is a huge upgrade.

Exactly. You can't expect a player to come in here and make big things happen when you're playing with two of the worst Corsi players in the WHOLE league in Adams and Pyatt. When Brian Gibbons is your best option that you're playing with, it can't be easy.

Sit Adams, sit Pyatt, sit Glass, dress Vitale, Engo, Gibbons, Sutter, Goc, and Bennett in your bottom 6 and things might start looking up. You could possibly play Glass for Engo, but there's no way in hell that I'd have Pyatt, Adams, Engo, and Glass all in the lineup together when healthy.....however Bylsma probably would.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:37 pm

ECF lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna
Glass-Goc-Gibbons
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:40 pm

columbia wrote:ECF lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna
Glass-Goc-Gibbons

Madden seems to be convinced that BB needs to play on the right side. Do you see any merit to that opinion?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 pm

headh wrote:
columbia wrote:ECF lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna
Glass-Goc-Gibbons

Madden seems to be convinced that BB needs to play on the right side. Do you see any merit to that opinion?

For years the talk has been that Sid needs a RHS on his right side to receive passes and shoot quickly on the rush. Sid plays a north - south game. He has that in Stemper.

Malkin seems to be just fine with a LHS on his right wing. Putting a RHS on his left wing is a little unorthodox but Malkin plays more east west so it can work.

Besides that, in our system, the LW has to be responsible to execute the LW lock. In basic form: Left wing backs up to be in line with defenders. Right wing and center force the opposing play towards the left side with aggressive forcheck. LW then can step up and trap at the blue line.

I'm OK with it if its Malkin's LW.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm

Bennett has played RW most of his career. With such little time left in the season, I'd rather him play in a position he's most comfortable. If everyone is healthy, I would keep Jokinen on Geno's LW and move Bennett to 3rd line RW with the goal with him ending up on Sid's RW in time.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:56 pm

Ive been playing around with this a bit, and here's the best we can reasonably hope for.

Kunitz - Crosby - Stempniak
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Goc - Sutter - Bennett
Pyatt - Adams - Gibbons

- Adams averages over 3 min of PK time per game. No one else is even close. Like it or not, he is playing.
- Glass averages about 1:30 of PK time and thus is easier to replace. Goc is filling those minutes. Stempniak can also PK if needed.
- Gibbons/Pyatt looks good and should be maintained.
- Assumes Goc is healthy
- Biggest glaring weakness is Adams as the 4th line center. However, we have already seen Bylsma will double shift Crosby/Malkin on the 4th line in the playoffs, so really what you get is Pyatt - Crosby/Malkin - Gibbons on the 4th. That was a first line at certain points this season,
- Goc, Jokinen are also available for extra shifts at center duty on the 4th line
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:58 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - Stempniak
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Megna/Gibbons - Goc - Bennett
Glass - Sutter - Adams/Vitale/Engellend
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 pm

How much of the Gibbons-Pyatt combo looking good comes from Brandon Sutter?

Also, between the two, I don't think Pyatt is going to play over Tanner Glass.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm

MRandall25 wrote:How much of the Gibbons-Pyatt combo looking good comes from Brandon Sutter?

Also, between the two, I don't think Pyatt is going to play over Tanner Glass.

Yeah. Either Pyatt or Gibbons is gone...it'd probably be game-to-game with those two. Like, say we play Philly in the second round, Pyatt will probably be on the roster more with his physicality.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:05 pm

Pyatt....physicality?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:22 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Pyatt....physicality?

Believe it or not, Pyatt always seems to play well in the playoffs. Whether playing well involves being physical, well that remains to be seen.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby headh on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:08 am

Crankshaft wrote:Kunitz - Crosby - Stempniak
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal

what about

14 -87-22
18-71-19 this is the line right now with Jokinen in the middle. BB has looked awesome and James Neal has scored recently
Goc-36-Gibbons
Vitale-Sutter-Adams
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:09 am

headh wrote:
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal

what about

14 -87-22
18-71-19 this is the line right now with Jokinen in the middle. BB has looked awesome and James Neal has scored recently
Goc-36-Gibbons
Vitale-Sutter-Adams

You're trying too hard.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
headh wrote:
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal

what about

14 -87-22
Goc-36-Gibbons
Vitale-Sutter-Adams

You're trying too hard.

what do you mean?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Figured this was the best place:

Paul Martin cleared to return. Up to coaches now.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Figured this was the best place:

Paul Martin cleared to return. Up to coaches now.

And a followup... Bylsma said Martin's playing.
Josh Yohe wrote:Martin officially playing tonight, per Bylsma.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:27 pm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bwyant32 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Nisky / Maata