Game 76 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 76 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby booboo on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:34 pm

To me Neal seems like a very low IQ player. Watching this game, I paid attention to where he skates when and it did not make much sense at all.
Perhaps all he can do is shoot the puck. In the time between shooting opportunities he seems to just circle around not doing much. Even if he takes part in forecheck and skates fast, and even if he lucliky gets to touch the puck, it most often wanders away from him. Does he even draw penalties anymore? Guess I know better now why everyone on the team calls him Lazy. [/rant]
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:23 pm

Gaucho wrote:The Pens will win the Cup.

I'll have whatever you are drinking. :lol:
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:15 am

1) I don't want the penguins to try and match up with size if they play a team like Boston. Speed will give Boston far more fits than Tyler Pyatt trying to catch any of them on the ice.

2) It's clear that a games played streak is far more important than putting together the best lineup on the ice. If the players would react badly to a 4th liner losing a games played streak because the team is playing like crap, then we have some mentally weak players.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:44 am

pens_CT wrote:

Coffee? :lol:

In fact, when I posted that I had had lots of beer and some of this:

Spectacular.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Gaucho wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Coffee? :lol:

In fact, when I posted that I had had lots of beer and some of this:

Spectacular.

Damn! And I thought you were psychic, Gaucho. Now I learn it wasn’t prescience but just the alcohol talking. I so wanted to believe. :(
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:25 pm

Well, I do think the Pens will win the Cup.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Gaucho wrote:Well, I do think the Pens will win the Cup.

Glad to hear that! I certainly haven’t written them off.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby rgj on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:54 pm

booboo wrote:
topshelf wrote:
columbia wrote:I don't see a scenario where sitting Glass improves the Pens.

Depends on where is he sitting.

Now, THAT'S funny, right there!! :lol:
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Paul Martin is cleared by doctors and he said he's ready to return. Coaches' decision now #Pens
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:17 pm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Gaucho wrote:Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Paul Martin is cleared by doctors and he said he's ready to return. Coaches' decision now #Pens

They'll want to keep Engelland in. Have a seat Paul.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Dan Bylsma makes it official. Paul Martin is back in the lineup for the #Pens tonight vs Winnipeg
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Gaucho wrote:Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
Dan Bylsma makes it official. Paul Martin is back in the lineup for the #Pens tonight vs Winnipeg

Upon hear the good news Martin threw his arms in the air in celebratory fashion, hitting a ceiling fan and re-fracturing his hand.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Or, Martin hi-fived Bennett, breaking both their hands...and as they rushed to the doctor they both stepped on Geno's broken foot...and then they knocked Crosby over who hit his head on the floor and is now concussed.

Engellend and Adams went to the same doctor and were declared "healthy as horses" and "iron men who never ever ever ever will get hurt."
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wil ... hY.twitter

this is a great piece that further explains the need of Despres in the lineup....too bad we employ a coach that seems to be clueless.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm more worried about getting out of the first round if we face the likes of Detroit.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:14 pm

murphydump55 wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Skilled-Youth-Or-Grit-What-Should-Penguins-Decision-On-Defense-Be/177/59110#.Uz2IfDo0_hY.twitter

this is a great piece that further explains the need of Despres in the lineup....too bad we employ a coach that seems to be clueless.

I read that too...

Bylsma makes very questionable decisions.

Despres was doing nothing in the last stint but playing stronger each game. He's not without his mistakes, but he was quietly one of the best dmen on the ice for us and made some decisions that shocked me...in a positive way.

Megna on the 4th is another. He needs to be on the 3rd line over Pyatt. Megna is so strong on the puck and plays a very tenacious game. Megna makes things happen around the net and that's seriously needed right now.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:52 pm

murphydump55 wrote:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Skilled-Youth-Or-Grit-What-Should-Penguins-Decision-On-Defense-Be/177/59110#.Uz2IfDo0_hY.twitter

Good read, thanks.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stick_licker on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Ouch, that's just painful to put into statistics. How blatantly obvious does it need to be before Despres gets a roster spot. I really hope GMRS ditches 44 and 4 in the off season to force Bylsma into doing the obvious.
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Yeah...the numbers aren't even close. Despres blows those two out of the water. And that's against Bortuzzo and Engelland. Would be interested to see his numbers compared to the other four, just out of curiosity.
Pruezy11881
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Stick_licker wrote:

Ouch, that's just painful to put into statistics. How blatantly obvious does it need to be before Despres gets a roster spot. I really hope GMRS ditches 44 and 4 in the off season to force Bylsma into doing the obvious.

Not sure how you expect him to ditch 4?

Why force a coach into doing the obvious? Wouldn't that be proving that the coach obviously can't do his job? Fire Bylsma and you'd probably see a much different lineup nightly from another coach.

It's getting sickening to watch Bylsma have his MUSTS in the lineup night after night.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:22 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Stick_licker wrote:

Not sure how you expect him to ditch 4?

Why force a coach into doing the obvious? Wouldn't that be proving that the coach obviously can't do his job? Fire Bylsma and you'd probably see a much different lineup nightly from another coach.

It's getting sickening to watch Bylsma have his MUSTS in the lineup night after night.

:face: :face: :face: #Bylsmagic

Glaring indeed. Imagine where Despres would be with encouragement and the ice time he has actually earned. Bylsma's handling of Simon is malfeasance pure and simple and its hurt the team and #47's development for two straight seasons. Let's not forget, he gave ice to Mark Eaton over the former number one pick last season. :face:

At least Bortz and Engo compete and defend the crease and their netminders and other teammates. Scuderi has brought nothing the last 30 games and is handed a sweater no matter what.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Fire Bylsma
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:57 pm

I've come on in support of Bylsma in the past, not in terms of him not being fired but against the idea in terms of timing.

At this point, I don't see any reason NOT to fire him to be honest - despite the record and all of the injuries - the eye test clearly tells you that this team is not ready.

Beyond that, his handling of the young players is now just a tired old joke. Megna, Gibbons and Despres are consistently misused or unused.

His handling of several veterans is curious as well - most notably the fact that Adams is ALWAYS in the lineup, and that Engelland is never put back as a physical force on the 4th line. He seems to force the icetime for these two. Adams should be a healthy scratch and Engelland should be happy to get his 7-8 minutes a night as a 4th line RW. It seems pretty apparent everyone who has any eyes - except for DB.

I had to seriously think about whether I wanted to renew my season tix a few weeks back, because I have become surprisingly apathetic about a team I have always been passionate about - DESPITE the fact that they have so many great players. I think it was just the lack of belief in the program at this point for me. I did renew, but that it was even a decision was a surprise to myself.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:05 pm

The Snapshot wrote:I've come on in support of Bylsma in the past, not in terms of him not being fired but against the idea in terms of timing.

At this point, I don't see any reason NOT to fire him to be honest - despite the record and all of the injuries - the eye test clearly tells you that this team is not ready.

Beyond that, his handling of the young players is now just a tired old joke. Megna, Gibbons and Despres are consistently misused or unused.

His handling of several veterans is curious as well - most notably the fact that Adams is ALWAYS in the lineup, and that Engelland is never put back as a physical force on the 4th line. He seems to force the icetime for these two. Adams should be a healthy scratch and Engelland should be happy to get his 7-8 minutes a night as a 4th line RW. It seems pretty apparent everyone who has any eyes - except for DB.

I had to seriously think about whether I wanted to renew my season tix a few weeks back, because I have become surprisingly apathetic about a team I have always been passionate about - DESPITE the fact that they have so many great players. I think it was just the lack of belief in the program at this point for me. I did renew, but that it was even a decision was a surprise to myself.

Great post, i feel the exact same way.

What Bylsma does night after night with his personnel choices is frustrating beyond belief. As I said before, it's almost as if he's willing to sacrifice winning in order to keep his favorites in the lineup.

I've said it over and over that Bylsma hurts this team more than he helps it, and it's getting worse by the game. This cannnot continue, there's no way that anyone with half a hockey brain in their head can NOT see that other players deserve the icetime over his pets.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins