Who would you rather play? Playoff Poll & Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would you rather play?

Philadelphia
14%
Columbus
72%
Detroit
14%

Total votes : 71

Re: Who would you rather play? Playoff Poll & Discussion

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:44 pm

I disagree. They don't nearly have the team speed that the Islanders had. They don't even play the Islanders-style game.

I've been watching them all year (I have a small ticket plan with the Jackets, since I'm in Columbus). I don't see them giving anyone issues in the playoffs unless literally everything goes right for them.

They're not a bad team, per sé, but they don't really have the personnel to make a splash in the playoffs or give someone trouble unless Bobrovsky stands on his head.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:46 pm

I don't care who we play. If you can not beat team "x" then you do not deserve to win the Cup anyway.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:They're not on the level of a Detroit or Philly, though.

I agree, but that doesn't mean they're a team to be taken lightly. They could easily be as problematic at the Islanders were last year.

Yes, but the islanders were also terrible.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Greyhound65 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:34 am

I dont want to play anyone because we will lose to just about everyone. waaaaaa :scared: :scared:
Greyhound65

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:36 am

Jim wrote:I don't care who we play. If you can not beat team "x" then you do not deserve to win the Cup anyway.

This.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:11 am

That's extremely silly.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:16 am

It's silly to say you should be able to beat anyone to deserve being called champions?

Or silly not to rather play Columbus in Round 1? That'd be silly yes, but it shouldn't matter. Who knows, playing a tough opponent in round 1 could be just what the doctor ordered for this particular team.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:29 am

Championships hang by a thread. You get the wrong matchup, and a team that otherwise would win the cup can be out in round 1.

If Boston beats Carolina in 09, they give us a much tougher series, in which case who knows how much we have left in the tank for the Detroit series, which could have gone either way.

You need help to win a cup, so I think it's silly to say you have to be able to beat everyone.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:08 am

I also think it's silly.

In general, different teams match up differently against different opponents. Look at last year: The Senators were clearly a much stronger team than the Islanders yet the Islanders were twice as hard for the Pens to play against than the Sens were.

However, in trying to look at it from another perspective, do you think Bruins or Hawks fans are too concerned about who they play in any round?

The Bruins and Hawks are kind of like those guys who were fat & ugly in High School, worked hard to get better looking, learned to be good with women and now have no fear when walking in the bar and if they failed to meet women, it's because they missed something in their game and not because some better looking guys beat them out. The Penguins on the other hand are like those naturally good looking guys who never had to work hard for women, so when they show up to the bar they just chill out expecting women to come to them.

I know that seems like a silly analogy, but this is the reality. The Bruins and Hawks BELIEVE when they step out on to the ice that they will control the game and if they fail it's because THEY didn't execute, not because the other team was better. The Penguins don't think they have to work for it; at least they don't play like they think they have to work for it. The Penguins play like their talent will save them; it won't and that's why it matters more to a team like the Penguins who they play in the first round than it does for the Bruins and Hawks.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:11 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The Penguins don't think they have to work for it; at least they don't play like they think they have to work for it. The Penguins play like their talent will save them; it won't and that's why it matters more to a team like the Penguins who they play in the first round than it does for the Bruins and Hawks.

If that's true, then it doesn't matter....because they - or any other team - don't have a chance in the playoffs.

So the question is, is that really true?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:18 am

columbia wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The Penguins don't think they have to work for it; at least they don't play like they think they have to work for it. The Penguins play like their talent will save them; it won't and that's why it matters more to a team like the Penguins who they play in the first round than it does for the Bruins and Hawks.

If that's true, then it doesn't matter....because they - or any other team - don't have a chance in the playoffs.

So the question is, is that really true?

It's true, but that doesn't make what you said the reality. What I'm saying still implies teams can beat the Hawks and Bruins, but what makes them so good is that they when they come to play, they dictate the game. The Penguins USED to do that.

If what I'm saying is true, then the sad reality for the Penguins is that ANY team in the playoffs has a decent chance of knocking them out. Obviously in pro sports the saying goes "Any given Sunday," but what I'm saying is that the for a team as strong as the Penguins they aren't that hard to knock down.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:37 am

What an overgeneralized psychological evaluation of a team.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:40 am

For the record, I don't think it's true....I think they just need a new coach. :lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01 am

columbia wrote:For the record, I don't think it's true....I think they just need a new coach. :lol:

I definitely agree with that part, which I think is the root of the problem.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:02 am

Factorial wrote:What an overgeneralized psychological evaluation of a team.

Wow...great input
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Greyhound65 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Not wanting to play one particular team makes some sense to me. We have people posting we don't want to play Philly, Detroit and someone else I can't remember. Well if we can't beat Boston, Philly or Detroit, we have zero chance of winning the cup.
Greyhound65

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Greyhound65 wrote:Not wanting to play one particular team makes some sense to me. We have people posting we don't want to play Philly, Detroit and someone else I can't remember. Well if we can't beat Boston, Philly or Detroit, we have zero chance of winning the cup.

Steelers can't beat tom Brady but they could win a superbowl when he tore his acl. Sometimes you need Bernard pollard to do your dirty work for you so you can play San Diego and Arizona instead.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Greyhound65 wrote:Not wanting to play one particular team makes some sense to me. We have people posting we don't want to play Philly, Detroit and someone else I can't remember. Well if we can't beat Boston, Philly or Detroit, we have zero chance of winning the cup.

Steelers can't beat tom Brady but they could win a superbowl when he tore his acl. Sometimes you need Bernard pollard to do your dirty work for you so you can play San Diego and Arizona instead.

U shut ur mouth Tom Brady hurt himself on purpose cause he's scared of the black and yella. Just like last year when dat kicker missed cuz the one team dem other guys didn't want to play wuz da 8-8 stillers.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Greyhound65 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:32 pm

There are people posting that suggest we can't beat any of the other 7 teams in the 1st round except Columbus. I say hogwash. Detroit and Philly will give the Pens a run but I still favor the Pens if Malkin is back and BB stays healthy.
Greyhound65

Postby bhaw on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Jim wrote:I don't care who we play. If you can not beat team "x" then you do not deserve to win the Cup anyway.

I hope this is how the team feels. I also hope that we get Columbus. There's nothing wrong with hoping your team gets a more favorable matchup.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I also think it's silly.

In general, different teams match up differently against different opponents. Look at last year: The Senators were clearly a much stronger team than the Islanders yet the Islanders were twice as hard for the Pens to play against than the Sens were.

However, in trying to look at it from another perspective, do you think Bruins or Hawks fans are too concerned about who they play in any round? .

I think the Bruins fans would definitely prefer the Jackets instead of the Wings or the Flyers in round one. And they'd definitely prefer Tampa advances rather than the Habs. I don't think it's at all debatable.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Columbus
Nyr
Tampa
Phoenix

Philly
Detroit
Boston
St. Louis

It's all the same right?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Id like the easiest road to winning a cup that we can get. Theres no bonus for facing more difficult teams.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Looks like a 75% chance the Pens will meet the Wings in round 1. Second closest is CBJ at 15%.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/East ... burgh.html
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:03 pm

What are the odds of a Boston vs Philly matchup in round 1?
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins