Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:15 pm

There's some small wishful-thinking part of me that the Penguins are going to be a completely different team during the playoffs and we'll all see that this was just the Pens laying low until then.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:40 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
pens2005 wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens lose 4-0

- Neal gets rattled easily, he was looking for trouble last night (Pens players should jump in & stop him when they see it)

If there happens to be a blockbuster trade of some kind in the offseason for some odd reason, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if James Neal was involved in the trade. I'm not saying it is or should happen, just suggesting I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

They keep Fleury and Bylsma around, yet you think they're going to deal Neal? A guy that has proven chemistry with one of your star players?

If they trade Neal before they fire Bylsma, something is wrong.

Lol...I carefully worded my post by using words such as "if", " i'm not saying it is or should happen", etc. to prevent a possible post exactly like yours.

When did I say they were going to deal Neal or that they even should? You do realize that if blockbuster trades occur you usually have to give to get, right? Or, are you of the belief that we can trade an equipment manager for 3 all-star wingers?

Sheesh...
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:There's some small wishful-thinking part of me that the Penguins are going to be a completely different team during the playoffs and we'll all see that this was just the Pens laying low until then.

They're very prepared for the inter-sport playoffs of hockey, whiffle ball, and lacrosse.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:30 pm

I think the Pens will actually show up tonight. They know they were embarrassed last night.

I too, hope Zackoff plays tonight. He mirrors the Pens inconsistent play of late and needs to settle down. For those who want MAF to rest the final 2 or 3 games, I would like to put our best team on the ice against the Hatedflyers (one word) next weekend.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 pm

Humperdink wrote:I think the Pens will actually show up tonight. They know they were embarrassed last night.

I too, hope Zackoff plays tonight. He mirrors the Pens inconsistent play of late and needs to settle down. For those who want MAF to rest the final 2 or 3 games, I would like to put our best team on the ice against the Hatedflyers (one word) next weekend.

I don't see the upside to doing that against PHI.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:59 pm

My logic, faulty as it may be, is as follows:

> The Hatedflyers cleaned our clock in the recent home and home.

> They may be our opponent in the playoffs.

> A loss to them next Saturday would give them significant confidence against us.

> A solid Pen victory would erase that.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:There's some small wishful-thinking part of me that the Penguins are going to be a completely different team during the playoffs and we'll all see that this was just the Pens laying low until then.

I didn't buy into the switch being thrown in any of the last few years and I don't think the Flyers are very worried about playing us in the second round. I think they'd welcome it.

Teams that do well in the playoffs are generally the ones doing well going in. Seeing the same on-ice failures and brain cramps over and over each year combined with the current lack of effort doesn't inspire confidence.

That said, I hope they prove me wrong.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimreb on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:33 pm

How you fare the last 20 games of the season, pretty much has no bearing on if you'll win the Stanley Cup.....some past champions have played well down the stretch, some ok, and some even poorly. The real time to get on a roll is game 1 of the Playoffs.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/31/5 ... the-season
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:42 pm

jimreb wrote:How you fare the last 20 games of the season, pretty much has no bearing on if you'll win the Stanley Cup.....some past champions have played well down the stretch, some ok, and some even poorly. The real time to get on a roll is game 1 of the Playoffs.

"Outside of a couple of noticeable outliers, none of these teams really played poorly down the stretch"

I don't think that can be said of this year's edition of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:55 pm

All of those recent teams finished their last 10 and 20 with rates that would getthem easily into the playoffs going back to the canes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimreb on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:08 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
jimreb wrote:How you fare the last 20 games of the season, pretty much has no bearing on if you'll win the Stanley Cup.....some past champions have played well down the stretch, some ok, and some even poorly. The real time to get on a roll is game 1 of the Playoffs.

"Outside of a couple of noticeable outliers, none of these teams really played poorly down the stretch"

I don't think that can be said of this year's edition of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"Some played at the same level they played at most of the year. A few far exceeded it. Seven of the 17 teams shown actually played .500 or worse hockey over their last 10-20 games. It's not that those stretches of play didn't really matter, or that teams don't want to go into the playoffs playing well and feeling good about themselves, but that these stretches happen all the time throughout the season. We just notice them more at the beginning and end, and it doesn't really have any impact on whether or not they're able to win a championship."
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:25 pm

While I am not overly happy with some of the recent play, I'm not overly shocked by it. The team has no real depth at forward... if Crosby and Malkin get shut down, they will lose. Malkin being out further complicates this. The bottom 6 has largely been a dumpster fire all season and injuries are exacerbating the issue.

Most of the D is playing like dump and there is only so much that P-Mart can do. As much of a double edged sword as Letang can be, I do wish he was healthy as he could eat minutes that some of the other guys are being forced to play (and are playing badly).

Fleury hasn't been as consistent as of late, Zatkoff is a non-starter for me come playoff time, and I'm doubtful that Vokoun will be able to step in should MAF falter this season.

Once it became obvious that Boston was going to get the top seed, the team had little to nothing to play for... the division was a foregone conclusion. As such, it seems like if the team gets behind the eight ball early, they are basically "giving up" and taking the L rather than trying to fight through it.

I don't condone that as it makes for a miserable fan experience, but I can't say that I don't fully understand it. Many players have played a bunch of extra games due to the olympics, and others are probably just trying to avoid the injuries that have riddled the team all season.

Given that there is largely nothing to play for but pride otherwise, I can see how one might take it a bit easy.

All that said, it is disturbing to see the team playing this way as the playoffs approach. It's hard to imagine them flicking the figurative switch at this point.

If they are relatively healthy come playoff time and the matchups fall the right way, they could surprise us. There is also a chance that all of their weaknesses will be exposed and they will be golfing in short order. One more week and that will all come into focus.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Greyhound65 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:17 pm

The Blues are playing poorly too. Don't think it means much.

Last year we were flying high after the Ottawa series. I'm glad they're struggling.

We will need a different strategy to get by Boston. But I don't want to "show our hand" now.

Am I looking past the first 2 rounds? Nope. Just think we can beat Detroit and the Flyers with our usual strategy.
Greyhound65

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins