Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:56 am

Pens lose 4-0

- Got down early, poor goaltending, can't score = g.a.m.e. o.v.e.r.
- Martin didn't play well & cost the Pens 2 goals (rust?, 100+ fans in stands, > 23 mins, whatever)
- Bennett passed up a couple of shooting opportunities in a game where there were few good ones
- Neal gets rattled easily, he was looking for trouble last night (Pens players should jump in & stop him when they see it)
- Zatkoff accepted some blame for this loss postgame, good to see him own up (goalies can't score & 0 goals for doesn't win games)
- Despres stepped up and got a big hit but it resulted in a goal against. I don't expect to see him next game.
- When Craig Adams is your best player (as could be argued last night...) well, you see the result
- Pens get a chance to prove they are alive in a game tonight, going to be tough with travel though
- Starting to get into fan playoff mode. Expect that the Pens will win 4 of the next 7 (BUT expect losses to occur)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby skullman80 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:01 am

Turned the game off after the first period. I think I made a good decision.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,151
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby meow on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:03 am

Ouch
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,307
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:14 am

Ein Haufen Schrott.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,136
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:33 am

Felt like we were watching a preseason game last night.
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:38 am

That was some serious crappola.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,706
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:42 am

Southern Fan wrote:Felt like we were watching a preseason game last night.

That's the only scenario where Ebbett should dress so this makes perfect sense.

What a seriously nothing player.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,579
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:47 am

Teheran was seriously fighting it but still only gave up 2 runs and a 1 WHIP through 7 innings. This guy is the real deal.

Freeman was on base 5 times.

BJ Upton actually contributed in a positive way.

So did Dan Uggla.

The Braves are in the Nats' collective head.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,611
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby brwi on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Teheran was seriously fighting it but still only gave up 2 runs and a 1 WHIP through 7 innings. This guy is the real deal.

Freeman was on base 5 times.

BJ Upton actually contributed in a positive way.

So did Dan Uggla.

The Braves are in the Nats' collective head.


OOOPS, wrong place, but definitely agree with you here :D :D :D Good game, Braves!
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Inkio on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 am

Maybe the pens are saving all of their energy for playoffs? Wishful thinking? Hah
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 am

brwi wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Teheran was seriously fighting it but still only gave up 2 runs and a 1 WHIP through 7 innings. This guy is the real deal.

Freeman was on base 5 times.

BJ Upton actually contributed in a positive way.

So did Dan Uggla.

The Braves are in the Nats' collective head.


OOOPS, wrong place, but definitely agree with you here :D :D :D Good game, Braves!

Given my expectations for the post season, i think its actually the same team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,611
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:13 am

Now Payerl recalled? ffs
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,136
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:22 am

Let the good times roll.

Who the hell is he replacing?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,706
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:24 am

Maybe Pyatt. Save some $$$ on the lettering.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,136
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:29 am

Might as well call up Payerl. Not like the Pens are concerned with winning or getting ready for the playoffs. Might as well give some guys a look.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:57 am

just saw some highlights, that was embarrassing wow. I know we are not going to catch Boston but man we couldnt even try???
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:11 am

A fast team v an injured, secured #2 spot in the conference- another loss.
#0 for the wild earned- a joke, nevertheless, has another shut-out courtesy of his penguin pals.
Happy for Matt Cooke, the wild seems like a good fit for him.

Thumbs up on the wild green-machine uniform. :thumb:

I'm not expecting different play in Denver. You never know what response and effort you
will see from this penguin team. I would start Zatkoff again tonight.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,533
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ready

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 am

penny lane wrote:A fast team v an injured, secured #2 spot in the conference- another loss.
#0 for the wild earned- a joke, nevertheless, has another shut-out courtesy of his penguin pals.
Happy for Matt Cooke, the wild seems like a good fit for him.

Thumbs up on the wild green-machine uniform. :thumb:

I'm not expecting different play in Denver. You never know what response and effort you
will see from this penguin team. I would start Zatkoff again tonight.


I didn't even think of starting Zatkoff, which might not be a bad idea. Maybe they start Fleury, and if the team is in shutdown mode, they put in Zatkoff to start the 2nd. I mean, if we're treating the game as meaningless, why put Fleury through the extra work and risk having him lose confidence in the d in front of him?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby IanMoran on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:17 am

Moved to msp 2 years ago... Was looking forward to pens game there last year, cancelled. Kind of wish this one was cancelled as well
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,929
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 am

All I need to know is will Vokoun be ready for the playoffs?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,635
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby slappybrown on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:57 am

bhaw wrote:
penny lane wrote:A fast team v an injured, secured #2 spot in the conference- another loss.
#0 for the wild earned- a joke, nevertheless, has another shut-out courtesy of his penguin pals.
Happy for Matt Cooke, the wild seems like a good fit for him.

Thumbs up on the wild green-machine uniform. :thumb:

I'm not expecting different play in Denver. You never know what response and effort you
will see from this penguin team. I would start Zatkoff again tonight.


I didn't even think of starting Zatkoff, which might not be a bad idea. Maybe they start Fleury, and if the team is in shutdown mode, they put in Zatkoff to start the 2nd. I mean, if we're treating the game as meaningless, why put Fleury through the extra work and risk having him lose confidence in the d in front of him?

Fleury should get the Wings Wednesday at home and then be done. I'd play Zatkoff tonite and the back to back this coming weekend against OTT/PHI. Fleury should have been playing in fewer games the past two weeks to begin with. The back-to-back a weekend or two ago was particularly an egregiously stupid decision.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,969
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:58 am

What thoughts could anyone really have about last nights game? It shouldn't even be considered a game because in order to play you actually have to show up.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,803
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Wow I just watched the highlights...Zatkoff looked pathetic out there. Like a junior hockey goalie.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,635
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:06 pm

I can't recall seeing a team so in need of a coaching change for so long. Anyone that thinks that this team will be able to flip a switch 10 days from now and all of a sudden start playing winning hockey is delusional. I love the Pens and don't want to see another flame out. DB is driving this team off a cliff. They have so many bad habits that its impossible to think that just getting healthy will cure what ails them as a team.

-We thought the low point was the PHX game, then came the Hurricanes and now this.
-Anyone notice how lousy the Pens passing was all game? Looks like a team that hasn't practiced in a month.
-Pens were out worked and beaten to and knocked off of pucks all night long.
-Pens cannot get through neutral zone because the forwards are way too far up ice. Long passes through the neutral zone do not work against any competently coached team when the talent is even remotely similar. This obvious flaw in the team's approach changes the minute DB is out the door.
-props to Scuderi for playing with the nose gash
-Sweet chip pass by Moulson on the first goal
-Incredible save by Bryz on Neal
-Despres stepping up on the McCormick goal was ill advised. But it was then compounded by Niskanen stepping up and by Sid being incredibly soff/confused in the slot. Lousy team goal, but surely Despres will be scapegoated.
-Parise always seems to be extra fired up to play against 87.
-Wild will not be a friendly first round opponent. A lot of talent that seems to be coming together at the right time. Sochi stud Granlund wasn't in the lineup (olympic injury?) and Dany Heatley was a healthy scratch. A lot of young legs and veteran talent. A first round series versus either Anaheim or San Jose will be one to watch.
-Interesting match up tonight as the Avs are coming off a big victory in St Louis.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,068
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 am
Location: South Beach

Re: Game 78 vs Wild - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Wow I just watched the highlights...Zatkoff looked pathetic out there. Like a junior hockey goalie.


So you're saying he's in playoff form?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10457
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,168
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Why Not Us and 11 guests

e-mail