Columbus could be the key to the Pens postseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Columbus could be the key to the Pens postseason

Postby pcmforless on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 am

To preface this, there is nothing better than your team going thru the toughest of competitors to win a championship, but in Hockey that is more difficult than any other sport I believe due to the physical beat up.
The current playoff scenario looks like Pens VS Det round one, then the winner of Philly/NYR round 2, then the biggest probability of BOS round 3. That is a pretty murderous row for the Pens style. The best case scenario out of that is NYR beating Philly and BOS getting shocked by the Jackets, Tampa, or most likely Montreal.

If Columbus can manage to two more games than Philly with each having 4 remaining they move to 3rd in the Metro and most likely puts PHL vs BOS in round 1 and although I am pretty sure Boston will still win that, they stand a good chance of getting pretty beat up. That makes either CBJ or NYR for round 2 for the Pens (still have to get past DET) and a weakened and beat up Boston team in the ECF especially if they have to face Montreal in the 2nd after surviving the Flyers.

It just looks like the Pens chances really improve if Columbus can move up to 3rd in the Metro. They need to win 2 more games than PHL (need 3 more points out of a possible 8 left for both teams) or 1 more game if Philly also has one of their wins come in a shootout to get them tied up in ROW tiebreaker as Columbus holds the head to head tiebreaker vs PHL.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Columbus could be the key to the Pens postseason

Postby npv708 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am

Detroit is going to be insanely tough for the Pens to get through. Nyquist is playing on another level, they got Dats back, and they give the Pens fits. I don't have a ton of faith in that being a quick series by any means.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 am

Similar scenario could work out if Columbus passes up Detroit. and not philly so they land in the number 1 wildcard. While passing Philly is certainly still doable, they are only 1 point behind Detroit. We could see CBJ in round one, NYR/Flyers in round 2 - while the Bruins have to go through Detroit and then most likely the Habs. I dont think its 100% that Detroit finishes ahead of them. More likely? Yes. But certainly not absolute.

Our road looks a little less rough in that scenario. Not that NYR would be a cakewalk or a definite win but just not mentally exhausting like the Flyers series.

All in all we just have to wait but its fun to look at this the last week of the season.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 am

Other than columbus, i wouldnt have a strong feelig about any other east playoff team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:12 am

I do not see Detroit as tough as some others think they are. Coaching wise yes, but they are just so beat up and old that I think the Pens can take them (given a healthy Pens team - minus Letang).
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:13 am

Honestly, if we ended up playing TB at some point I wouldn't be overly worried either.
Pruezy11881
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Headshot77 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:27 pm

I am hoping that Philly stays where they are, and Detroit and CBJ swap spots. A loss to Philly and a victory over Detroit in the next two games could make this scenario very feasible.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:53 pm

IMO, got to be able to beat them all, so don't worry about matchups.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Pitts wrote:IMO, got to be able to beat them all, so don't worry about matchups.

Kinda the way I look at it also. Anyone in the playoffs can beat anyone else, as is proven every year.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 pm

It's sad that we are so skeptical about our team's chances that we are hoping for dream matchups. And I know OP acknowledged that anything can happen, but it just shows that we really don't think they have what it takes without some help.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:15 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:It's sad that we are so skeptical about our team's chances that we are hoping for dream matchups. And I know OP acknowledged that anything can happen, but it just shows that we really don't think they have what it takes without some help.

I don't think we have what it takes. I didn't in 2009 either.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcmforless on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It's sad that we are so skeptical about our team's chances that we are hoping for dream matchups. And I know OP acknowledged that anything can happen, but it just shows that we really don't think they have what it takes without some help.

I don't think we have what it takes. I didn't in 2009 either.

Yes, I think we are all feeling that feeling that things will not end well this postseason, but I am glad that someone pointed out that back in 2009 we didn't have a ton of optimism either.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 am

We are going to end up playing Philly and lose in 5.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:15 pm

The hardy crew of idiots I mean optimists (myself included) are afraid of no one. NO ONE SHAD DO YOU HEAR ME
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:43 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Similar scenario could work out if Columbus passes up Detroit. and not philly so they land in the number 1 wildcard. While passing Philly is certainly still doable, they are only 1 point behind Detroit. We could see CBJ in round one, NYR/Flyers in round 2 - while the Bruins have to go through Detroit and then most likely the Habs. I dont think its 100% that Detroit finishes ahead of them. More likely? Yes. But certainly not absolute.

Our road looks a little less rough in that scenario. Not that NYR would be a cakewalk or a definite win but just not mentally exhausting like the Flyers series.

All in all we just have to wait but its fun to look at this the last week of the season.

I'm not sure which I prefer: A hard series early or favorable matchups until the conference finals. Hard series wear you down, and of course, you could lose them, but this team picked up a lot of bad habits running and gunning with the Islanders, then got overconfident after smoking the Sens, and were totally unprepared for a real test in Boston.

Pens might be better off with a road like they had in 2009: reasonably tough series in Philly, very close series in Washington, cake walk to rest up against Carolina, then back to business in the finals.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby indian on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Disagree with the title of the thread, should be .....

"Penguins are the key to pens postseason"

There is no point in worrying about the opposition.
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins