Playoff Tickets Used to Sellout in Less than 5 minutes

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Playoff Tickets Used to Sellout in Less than 5 minutes

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:12 pm

So the issue is the secondary market?

Did the team screw up when the secondary market is high and you make money on your tickets?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Grunthy wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Its not my fault you overpaid. It isn't the penguins fault either.

The organization screwed up ticket prices. PERIOD. END OF STORY. They've had to drop them 40% on ticketmaster. You're wrong but you don't see it.

Nope. You paid the prices, so sorry its your fault. Sorry to burst your bubble. I'll get you some cheese though.

Your occupation is Quality Assurance and you're taking this approach to this subject. LOL
Last edited by C4 Row E on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:12 pm

C4 Row E wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Its not my fault you overpaid. It isn't the penguins fault either.

The organization screwed up ticket prices. PERIOD. END OF STORY. They've had to drop them 40% on ticketmaster. You're wrong but you don't see it.

I agree. They overestimated demand, and as a result, they are being forced to reduce prices to levels they'd prefer not to for public sales. That is the risk associated with season tickets to any event. You get the guarantee of tickets and the lowest primary market prices. You take the risk that the secondary market won't cut into it and the Pens haven't overestimated demand. That happened. I understand you're upset, but you're looking to assign blame in a very strange way.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:16 pm

C4 Row E wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:

Nope. You paid the prices, so sorry its your fault. Sorry to burst your bubble. I'll get you some cheese though.

You're occupation is Quality Assurance? lol

Not sure how that pertains to the situation, but yes...

I don't think you understand what quality assurance does either.
Last edited by Grunthy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:16 pm

The NHL took advantage of the Pens having strong ticket sales. No home Saturday night games. I read somewhere that they had the highest number of home week night games. And they sell-out streak continues.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Troy Loney wrote:So the issue is the secondary market?

Did the team screw up when the secondary market is high and you make money on your tickets?

This. For years, you could make a killing on the secondary market as a STH, and none of that money was going into the Pens pockets. So they'd adjusted their prices to ensure that they met the demand.

Now it looks like they may have surpassed it, mainly based on price, expectations from fans, and that the "newness" of the playoffs has worn out and people are interested in the later rounds.

As a STH, I've taken the risk that what I'm paying for will 1) guarantee me tickets to get into the game and 2) that I'd get it at the lowest primary market price. The risk is that the secondary market will be cheaper and I've overpaid. That is what happened (at least right now).

This season, I've sold most of my tickets earlier in the year because I was extremely busy. My buddy and I only took a loss on 1 game, the rest we got for facevalue or slightly above. In years past, we actually made some money on every game. So at least for my tickets, the Pens have priced them right.

This is the price for having a solid team with some super stars. And I'm willing to go through this than when I was paying $20 to watch a crappy product in the early 2000s.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm

ITT: axe grinding
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Presumably, the market (aka STH) price will adjust next year and will do so until the "problem" is fixed.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 pm

C4 Row E wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:

Your occupation is Quality Assurance and you're taking this approach to this subject. LOL

You really don't understand what quality assurance is do you...
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 pm

columbia wrote:Presumably, the market (aka STH) price will adjust next year and will do so until the "problem" is fixed.

Presumably Buerkle and Mario will sell the team using a valuation based on 2014 ticket prices. Ticket prices tank for new owner who has taken too much debt and team goes to hell, crosby and malkin die alive and are sold off for peanuts.

Craig Adams and Bylsma the last men standing.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Don't forget Letangs contract.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Letang's contract transferred to ownership stake...becomes the second player owner for the Penguins.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Brilliant.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Pens then move to Kitchner and the Consol becomes the long awaited low income housing the Hill District leaders are looking for.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RJW76 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Where's that zebra thingy picture?
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm

"Suite 66" becomes local slang term for "meet me at my place."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm

slappybrown wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:

I agree. They overestimated demand, and as a result, they are being forced to reduce prices to levels they'd prefer not to for public sales. That is the risk associated with season tickets to any event. You get the guarantee of tickets and the lowest primary market prices. You take the risk that the secondary market won't cut into it and the Pens haven't overestimated demand. That happened. I understand you're upset, but you're looking to assign blame in a very strange way.

I honestly 100% get your point. But I think the issue you and a lot of folks don't understand compared to someone like myself is that anyone who went to a ton of games foreshadowed this 4 years ago.

It's not this year in a vacuum. Little things have been popping up since Conosl opened. We have seen more students, then playoff seats opening up then entire packages, now free tickets to loyalty programs, discounts on ticketmaster all season AND now the playoffs, not too mention other things like advertising and cutbacks.

And the $ gap has been passed into season holders which is why it's strange even after this year and all that went on they still raised prices.

I do get that they probably wanted to close the gap of secondary prices. But remember those prices aren't for 18,000, just a % of those.

Which is where I am guessing they made the mistakes. The secondary pricing only works if demand is greater than sales.

They probably screwed themselves a bit. Now I agree its bs to complain if you are not making money reselling them. But in fairness if you are a season ticket holder like myself who can drop $10,000 a year with playoffs I am sure you can at least understand some frustrations at seeing some of this.

Especially when a ton of people predicted it 3 years ago. And everyone else said "when demand slows so will prices". But that happened for everyone BUT season holders which is the ironic thing.

I agree there are no guarantees and people can cancel so will see what happens in the next two years. I think drawing CBJ in round one will hopefully help avoid a disaster and help them out with sales or at the very least no negatively impact them.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 pm

From what I am experiencing, this price the Penguins are offering seems to be masking a larger problem of declining demand independent of price. I'm offering my tickets at significantly lower prices than I have sold them for in the first round over any of the past eight years and getting almost 0 interest.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Especially when a ton of people predicted it 3 years ago. And everyone else said "when demand slows so will prices". But that happened for everyone BUT season holders which is the ironic thing.

And I still think it will. It just won't happen overnight. And they will still increase year after year, just at a much slower rate IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:ITT: axe grinding

waaah waaah waaah

Cash is KING.
viewtopic.php?p=1147187#p1147187
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:52 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:From what I am experiencing, this price the Penguins are offering seems to be masking a larger problem of declining demand independent of price. I'm offering my tickets at significantly lower prices than I have sold them for in the first round over any of the past eight years and getting almost 0 interest.

I can tell you, as a non STH that spent $180 for a set of playoff tickets last year, I have no inclination whatsoever to buy any tix this year.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Juice wrote:

waaah waaah waaah

Cash is KING.

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Juice wrote:

waaah waaah waaah

Cash is KING.

:pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Juice wrote:

waaah waaah waaah

Cash is KING.

:lol: :lol:

C4 Row E wrote:STH who think the Penguins organization owes them something are out of their mind.

Reading through these posts, it sounds like people want to walk into the arena and hand pick their seats. Did you want an express line to get your picture taken with the cup too? Did you want your ornament gold plated at Christmas instead of being Pewter?

Ticket holder A has had 4 Igloo seats since last season and Ticket Holder B has been sitting in 2 seats in the second row of E for 20 years. Who does the organization hope renews? Both of course but they're way more concerned with A than B. How is this possible? Why don't they care about the 20 year spender more? Because STH A is spending over $600 more per game.

Cash is KING.

Get over yourselves.

Remember, your money is as good as the next persons money.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:From what I am experiencing, this price the Penguins are offering seems to be masking a larger problem of declining demand independent of price. I'm offering my tickets at significantly lower prices than I have sold them for in the first round over any of the past eight years and getting almost 0 interest.

This too. I said it earlier in the thread. Unless there is a massive cut in price, especially for the earlier rounds, there still isn't going to be much interest. If they lowered prices 10%, I don't think they'd get more interest, or it would be very little.

When you have a talented team that has won a recent championship and has failed to make it far (with the exception of last year), people will get "bored" if you will with the early rounds.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins