4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:07 pm

If Philly obsessed over te Pens tanking to avoid them when it didnt actually happen...imagine the reaction i they did actually do that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,335
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby dodint on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:12 pm

Yeah, but the AHL team usually wins anyway.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,615
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Sparta, WI

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Man watching sharks/ducks I don't know how the Pens could stand up to their size and relentless attack styles.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,030
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Man watching sharks/ducks I don't know how the Pens could stand up to their size and relentless attack styles.


They wouldn't be able to.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,889
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby sniper on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:24 pm

Pens came out trying to hit everything and gave up scoring chances due to being out of position. Stupid.

Then they decided to not try at all. Odd.

Then they got some power play goals before completely getting screwed by the refs on that second Detroit goal. What was that?

Pittsburgh won this game 3-2 in regulation as far as I'm concerned although they got out played 5 on 5.

Datsyuk was invisible until OT when he hooked Pens to steal the puck and the refs looked the other way.

Adams and Pyatt are awful. The 4th line did nothing. What's it going to take for Bylsma to figure this out?

Fleury was good in the shoot out.
sniper
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,631
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:24 pm

The only way the Penguins win the cup IMO is if Sid and Gino go into full beast-mode through the entire playoffs and Fleury becomes the man.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,611
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:The capitals are a real scary team. So scary that they clinched being 9th or worse.


They have arrived.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby columbia on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 pm

I guess we're stuck with Adams for the duration, unless one of the odds and sods can play center.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,889
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The only way the Penguins win the cup IMO is if Sid and Gino go into full beast-mode through the entire playoffs and Fleury becomes the man.


They can win it if the stars do what they are supposed to do, and the occasional role player chips in with a big goal here and there. It happened plenty in 2008 and 2009. I wouldn't bank on guys like Pyatt and Gibbons, so hopefully Bylsma comes to his senses and puts Goc, Engo, or Vitale on the 4th line when they are healthy.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The only way the Penguins win the cup IMO is if Sid and Gino go into full beast-mode through the entire playoffs and Fleury becomes the man.


They can win it if the stars do what they are supposed to do, and the occasional role player chips in with a big goal here and there. It happened plenty in 2008 and 2009. I wouldn't bank on guys like Pyatt and Gibbons, so hopefully Bylsma comes to his senses and puts Goc, Engo, or Vitale on the 4th line when they are healthy.


Good luck with that. Just another reason Bylsma makes it harder for this team to win. I work with a pretty good hockey mind, he scouts for a successful OHL team, he coaches AAA, and has coached numerous NHL players on his AAA teams. We watched the game together tonight and he was floored at how bad the Pens are in their end and 5 on 5 in general.

I couldn't disagree.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,694
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:11 am

Image
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,292
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: I say stupid things. You have been warned

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Realist on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:26 am

Yea...disco better realize Joey V at least can win faceiffs lol
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:35 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The only way the Penguins win the cup IMO is if Sid and Gino go into full beast-mode through the entire playoffs and Fleury becomes the man.


Fleury has been tough enough to win games all season. He doesn't have to 'become' anything... just keep doing his thing. Those 6 guys in front of him on the other hand... I'll give them the benefit of 'rust' or whatever, but the Wings are not a high-powered offense, and they pinned us for most of the 3rd period.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,949
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:41 am

What I'm seeing right now is Adams playing a lot of minutes (hence us getting pinned in a lot), and I think this is for two reasons. (1) He (and Pyatt/Glass/Gibbons/etc...) is playing more so that Crosby/Kunitz/Neal/etc... don't getting overloaded with too many minutes just before the playoffs. This also is made more difficult with Malkin's absence...i.e. more minutes to have to go around. (2) With Goc out, the pens can't run they're preferred two 4th lines out there (one centered by Goc, the other by Sutter). Both of these, even if one of them would have Adams on the RW, would be more effective on a defensive zone draw, which is exactly where you could bet Bylsma would be using them...and hopefully will be once Goc is back for round 2.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,231
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:25 am

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400485434

Check out the awesome save from "Andre Fleury" and also defensive work from "Paul Martan"
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,728
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 am

I love how Craig Adams has become such a polarizing character on this team for LGP. Of all the things wrong with the team, THIS is what people decide to ***** about the most.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:45 am

Crankshaft wrote:I love how Craig Adams has become such a polarizing character on this team for LGP. Of all the things wrong with the team, THIS is what people decide to ***** about the most.


Someone can undoubtedly will correct if I'm wrong, but there's no one else who can play center on the fourth line.

That doesn't excuse him playing as much as he has this year, but I guess DB decided to ride that horse all the way to......the paddock?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,889
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 am

This team still fails to exhibit killer instinct or an ability to shut a game dahn. 3-2 lead at home with less than 5 minutes left and a power play? They should have been able to put that game to sleep and close the Wings out, prevent them from clinching on the Pens' home ice and take a step toward getting the most favorable match up by making it more likely Columbus stays ahead of DET. They failed in each regard.
Chirpin' Grinder
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,478
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 am
Location: South Beach

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 am

columbia wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:I love how Craig Adams has become such a polarizing character on this team for LGP. Of all the things wrong with the team, THIS is what people decide to ***** about the most.


Someone can undoubtedly will correct if I'm wrong, but there's no one else who can play center on the fourth line.

That doesn't excuse him playing as much as he has this year, but I guess DB decided to ride that horse all the way to......the paddock?


That's kind of where I was going. There are reasons Adams' is playing more minutes right now, and I've a hard time thinking that he'll be getting 14 or 15 minutes a night in the playoffs, especially once Goc is back. It's really nothing to get too upset over right now.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,231
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:53 am

Last night ought to dispel the myth that Bylsma can't adjust. Good to see we've got people still complaining about that.

The entire breakout changed once Detroit rolled out the 2-3 neutral zone trap. I saw the Penguins The Penguins cut into it better than they did at any point in the year. Bylsma tried it himself later in the game but sadly the Wings turned it up, went out of the trap, and started pressing offensively where they exposed Scuderi and the 4th line once again.

The Penguins ran their breakout from deep in their own end with puck support to boot. No stretch pass unless the opportunity presented itself.

Image
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,660
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks for pointing this out Jesse. I did notice the stretch pass was not part of the game plan yesterday.

I thought the Pens played a decent game despite the shot total and time of possession for Detroit. Alot of that zone time occurred when our terrible 4th line was on the ice. The Nyqist line just terrorized Adams and Pyatt, just too much speed versus poor, I mean, zero speed at all. And it shifted the momentum.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,357
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Was D1 doing the hokey pokey?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,728
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Jesse wrote:Last night ought to dispel the myth that Bylsma can't adjust. Good to see we've got people still complaining about that.

The entire breakout changed once Detroit rolled out the 2-3 neutral zone trap. I saw the Penguins The Penguins cut into it better than they did at any point in the year. Bylsma tried it himself later in the game but sadly the Wings turned it up, went out of the trap, and started pressing offensively where they exposed Scuderi and the 4th line once again.

The Penguins ran their breakout from deep in their own end with puck support to boot. No stretch pass unless the opportunity presented itself.

Image


Yea but what about Craig Adams?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Jesse on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Jesse wrote:Last night ought to dispel the myth that Bylsma can't adjust. Good to see we've got people still complaining about that.

The entire breakout changed once Detroit rolled out the 2-3 neutral zone trap. I saw the Penguins The Penguins cut into it better than they did at any point in the year. Bylsma tried it himself later in the game but sadly the Wings turned it up, went out of the trap, and started pressing offensively where they exposed Scuderi and the 4th line once again.

The Penguins ran their breakout from deep in their own end with puck support to boot. No stretch pass unless the opportunity presented itself.

Image


Yea but what about Craig Adams?


He isn't very good. Neither is Adam Payerl.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,660
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: 4/9/14 Red Wings v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Jesse wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Jesse wrote:Last night ought to dispel the myth that Bylsma can't adjust. Good to see we've got people still complaining about that.

The entire breakout changed once Detroit rolled out the 2-3 neutral zone trap. I saw the Penguins The Penguins cut into it better than they did at any point in the year. Bylsma tried it himself later in the game but sadly the Wings turned it up, went out of the trap, and started pressing offensively where they exposed Scuderi and the 4th line once again.

The Penguins ran their breakout from deep in their own end with puck support to boot. No stretch pass unless the opportunity presented itself.

Image


Yea but what about Craig Adams?


He isn't very good. Neither is Adam Payerl.


Yea! And Dan Bylsma!
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,478
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RisslingsMissingTeeth and 19 guests


e-mail