Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Nizzy on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:25 pm

The U wrote:- It has become increasingly noticeable that everybody we play has a gameplan to hit/harass/bother Crosby and Malkin. Do we ever have a plan to make life difficult on the opposing team's star players? It gets old watching our star players have to battle through so much and other team's stars get a free ride. Obviously I'm not just talking about last night, I'm talking about all year. I guess we don't have the personnel to get in people's faces or agitate but I'd like to see the table's turned some day.

- Pyatt and Adams are too slow to get to loose pucks. When they are on the ice together the other team is basically being given a PP. Their shift in the 3rd period gave Detroit tons of momentum and turned the game around IMO. An pretty evenly played 3rd period turned into a shooting gallery/hornets nest after their shift.

- Neither Adams nor Pyatt would dress for any other playoff team in either Conference. The fact that they BOTH dress for our squad every night is a sad state of affairs. Engelland and Megna are both better options on a nightly basis.

- Adams will dress every night in the playoffs, guaranteed. Bylsma has promised to keep him in the lineup to help him continue his active games played streak. Helping Adams reach that personal goal seems to be more important than dressing the best possible lineup each night. Adams kills the 4th line. Pyatt and Adams together is the worst line in the NHL. With Bylsma's job on the line in Round 1 of the playoffs, it is utterly unimaginable that he's OK putting his job, his salary, his employment, his career on the line by refusing to dress the best 12 forwards each night.

- There is a huge thread dedicated to coaching and Bylsma's issues. Should #1 on the list be the fact that the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins refuses to dress the team's best possible lineup every night? Forget matchups, motivational issues, holding players accountable, systems, strategy, etc....the fact of the matter is that the Pens are at a disadvantage before the opening puck drop.

- Complaining about Pyatt and Adams is not nitpicking. Some say "he only plays on line 4" or "he won't decide the outcomes of games, it's all on Sid, Geno, etc..." You are wrong. Bylsma is seemingly OK with PUNTING or handing the other team a PP every time he puts our 4th line out on the ice. He is seemingly OK with 25% of our forward units being a complete drag on the rest of the team. How could this be? How could Shero not step in and demand change on line 4? Does the rest of the team/organization get Rings if Craig Adams sets a Penguin record with his consecutive games played streak? It seems like that goal is more important right now than putting the best 18 skaters on the ice. Maybe we can raise a banner when the season is over for Adams.

- My Adams "hate" is because his presence destroys the entire 4th line. If he didn't drag down an entire line with him, I could stomach him being in the lineup. He will absolutely drag down a Vitale/Megna/Gibbons - Goc - Adams line in the postseason all by himself. He'll also drag down an entire PK unit with failed clears and an inability to retrieve loose pucks.


+1

I'm glad there's other people here that get it. It's dead weight. The best part is: Mega, Harry Z, Vitale, Payerl, etc all these young guys should be playing over Adams, Pyatt
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby meow on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Speed is what we need. Speed
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,076
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:11 pm

These guys are gonna eat lightning and crap thunder *eats grapes*
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Antonio on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Nizzy wrote:
The U wrote:- It has become increasingly noticeable that everybody we play has a gameplan to hit/harass/bother Crosby and Malkin. Do we ever have a plan to make life difficult on the opposing team's star players? It gets old watching our star players have to battle through so much and other team's stars get a free ride. Obviously I'm not just talking about last night, I'm talking about all year. I guess we don't have the personnel to get in people's faces or agitate but I'd like to see the table's turned some day.

- Pyatt and Adams are too slow to get to loose pucks. When they are on the ice together the other team is basically being given a PP. Their shift in the 3rd period gave Detroit tons of momentum and turned the game around IMO. An pretty evenly played 3rd period turned into a shooting gallery/hornets nest after their shift.

- Neither Adams nor Pyatt would dress for any other playoff team in either Conference. The fact that they BOTH dress for our squad every night is a sad state of affairs. Engelland and Megna are both better options on a nightly basis.

- Adams will dress every night in the playoffs, guaranteed. Bylsma has promised to keep him in the lineup to help him continue his active games played streak. Helping Adams reach that personal goal seems to be more important than dressing the best possible lineup each night. Adams kills the 4th line. Pyatt and Adams together is the worst line in the NHL. With Bylsma's job on the line in Round 1 of the playoffs, it is utterly unimaginable that he's OK putting his job, his salary, his employment, his career on the line by refusing to dress the best 12 forwards each night.

- There is a huge thread dedicated to coaching and Bylsma's issues. Should #1 on the list be the fact that the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins refuses to dress the team's best possible lineup every night? Forget matchups, motivational issues, holding players accountable, systems, strategy, etc....the fact of the matter is that the Pens are at a disadvantage before the opening puck drop.

- Complaining about Pyatt and Adams is not nitpicking. Some say "he only plays on line 4" or "he won't decide the outcomes of games, it's all on Sid, Geno, etc..." You are wrong. Bylsma is seemingly OK with PUNTING or handing the other team a PP every time he puts our 4th line out on the ice. He is seemingly OK with 25% of our forward units being a complete drag on the rest of the team. How could this be? How could Shero not step in and demand change on line 4? Does the rest of the team/organization get Rings if Craig Adams sets a Penguin record with his consecutive games played streak? It seems like that goal is more important right now than putting the best 18 skaters on the ice. Maybe we can raise a banner when the season is over for Adams.

- My Adams "hate" is because his presence destroys the entire 4th line. If he didn't drag down an entire line with him, I could stomach him being in the lineup. He will absolutely drag down a Vitale/Megna/Gibbons - Goc - Adams line in the postseason all by himself. He'll also drag down an entire PK unit with failed clears and an inability to retrieve loose pucks.


+1

I'm glad there's other people here that get it. It's dead weight. The best part is: Mega, Harry Z, Vitale, Payerl, etc all these young guys should be playing over Adams, Pyatt


+2
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Image

8-)
goaltending manual page 29 :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,492
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:35 pm

penny lane wrote:Image

8-)
goaltending manual page 29 :P


Appendix XXXVI - When All Else Fails by Dominik Hasek.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,900
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:19 pm

meow wrote:Speed is what we need. Speed


Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,695
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: TOOTBLAN

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 pm

I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice. Everything they did was crisp and flowed. It worked with their strengths and it created scoring chance after scoring chance. This Pens team will get DOMINATED by these teams. I'm not excited about these upcoming playoffs and I feel like a terrible fan because of it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,289
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.


Might as well forfeit now.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,960
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby slappybrown on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:17 pm

I know it's hard to believe lately, but sometime other teams and fans watch the Pens and see things that Crosby or Malkin or Letang or Neal do and think "man that team is gonna be tough to beat."
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,462
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Grunthy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:21 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.


Might as well forfeit now.



Yep. I mean Anaheim beat us relentlessly this year, they were just gracious and gave us 2 victories.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,743
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 am

Image
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,751
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby mikey287 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:34 am

I see there was some minor disagreement about the last goal that Fleury surrendered at 18:45 to Jurco. There's really not much he could do about that...he plays the initial shot (as opposed to playing the deflection that only one person in the world could see coming, and he's on this board) and Fleury makes a valiant effort at it and it's just an insanely perfect bounce where it kisses the crossbar and then worms its way in...if that's "iffy" or "weak" in anyone's opinion (regardless of how many years they've played Div VIII pick-up), I'd say they are out to lunch...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,111
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 am

mikey287 wrote:I see there was some minor disagreement about the last goal that Fleury surrendered at 18:45 to Jurco. There's really not much he could do about that...he plays the initial shot (as opposed to playing the deflection that only one person in the world could see coming, and he's on this board) and Fleury makes a valiant effort at it and it's just an insanely perfect bounce where it kisses the crossbar and then worms its way in...if that's "iffy" or "weak" in anyone's opinion (regardless of how many years they've played Div VIII pick-up), I'd say they are out to lunch...


No comment on Martin standing next to Jurco but failing to move him out or tie up his stick? That didn't play a role in the goal?

Martin is standing next to Jurco, the puck goes point to point and Martin barely reacts. He is next to Jurco, but not defending him in any discernible way. He allows him to stand, untouched, in a prime scoring position. This is quite a common occurrence for the Pens and one DB has failed to address.

Allow opposing forwards to stand around the net without paying any price and it matters not who is between the pipes.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 am
Location: South Beach

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby meow on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:36 am

How is it DB's fault that Martin is soft?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,076
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:52 am

Its clearly not just Martin. Each of the Wings goals was the result of soff D play in front of Fleury and its a recurring theme. Scuderi has been getting away with it all season. Have you seen him sit out a game or even shift until he decides to play with some jam or passion in the tough areas?

That combined with the benching of the D-men that do play tough in the slot and crease (Despres, Bortuzzo, Engo) has resulted in a plethora of goals from in tight.

Do you think the D plays championship hockey in the tough areas???
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 am
Location: South Beach

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:59 am

Which teams do regularly "clear the crease"? It doesnt happen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,717
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:12 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Which teams do regularly "clear the crease"? It doesnt happen.


The bruins seem to do it pretty well, and I tell you what - the red wings where sending guys flying out of their crease the other night. Obviously illegal cross checks that sent our guys to the ice when the puck wasn't even close.

I'd like to see more of that, but I don't know if our guys are capable.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,517
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:17 am

Grunthy wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.


Might as well forfeit now.



Yep. I mean Anaheim beat us relentlessly this year, they were just gracious and gave us 2 victories.

Regular season ≠ Playoffs
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,289
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:18 am

mikey287 wrote:I see there was some minor disagreement about the last goal that Fleury surrendered at 18:45 to Jurco. There's really not much he could do about that...he plays the initial shot (as opposed to playing the deflection that only one person in the world could see coming, and he's on this board) and Fleury makes a valiant effort at it and it's just an insanely perfect bounce where it kisses the crossbar and then worms its way in...if that's "iffy" or "weak" in anyone's opinion (regardless of how many years they've played Div VIII pick-up), I'd say they are out to lunch...

It was made up for with Juicy's shootout goal. Karma at work I suppose.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,289
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby sil on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Which teams do regularly "clear the crease"? It doesnt happen.


The bruins seem to do it pretty well, and I tell you what - the red wings where sending guys flying out of their crease the other night. Obviously illegal cross checks that sent our guys to the ice when the puck wasn't even close.

I'd like to see more of that, but I don't know if our guys are capable.


If you see it...then you'll see incessant whining from pens fans when Orpik (and Despres and Engellend and Letang) get ushered to the sin bin like a chorus line. There's a fine line with what you can do in a crease...the pens do pretty much what they can for the most part, and trying to predict NHL reffing in such situations is like trying to predict the lottery.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,853
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby sil on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.


Might as well forfeit now.



Yep. I mean Anaheim beat us relentlessly this year, they were just gracious and gave us 2 victories.

Regular season ≠ Playoffs


Crosby, Malkin, Goc, and Sutter each centering a line, as opposed to Crosby-Jokinen-Sutter-Adams, will go a long way to helping with that. I'm honestly not too concerned with how the pens stack up with those teams, or the Bruins for that matter. This doesn't mean you take them lightly or assume we're better...because we're not...but victory over said teams isn't an impossibility either.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,853
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:51 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.


If they bring that every night, which neither team does. Sharks have always had that size and attack and yet they somehow manage to lose every year. I don't honestly think the Ducks have a realistic shot just because Hiller is struggling and their defense isn't going to do him any favors.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,900
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby meow on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 am

wondermoose wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.


If they bring that every night, which neither team does. Sharks have always had that size and attack and yet they somehow manage to lose every year. I don't honestly think the Ducks have a realistic shot just because Hiller is struggling and their defense isn't going to do him any favors.

John Gibson
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,076
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 am

wondermoose wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.


If they bring that every night, which neither team does. Sharks have always had that size and attack and yet they somehow manage to lose every year. I don't honestly think the Ducks have a realistic shot just because Hiller is struggling and their defense isn't going to do him any favors.

It's more an observation of the West vs. East. Maybe the east teams play that way as well and I'm desensitized to it because we see the east teams so much.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,289
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blurryhaze312, Pens4Life and 7 guests

e-mail