Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:34 am

sil wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Which teams do regularly "clear the crease"? It doesnt happen.

The bruins seem to do it pretty well, and I tell you what - the red wings where sending guys flying out of their crease the other night. Obviously illegal cross checks that sent our guys to the ice when the puck wasn't even close.

I'd like to see more of that, but I don't know if our guys are capable.

If you see it...then you'll see incessant whining from pens fans when Orpik (and Despres and Engellend and Letang) get ushered to the sin bin like a chorus line. There's a fine line with what you can do in a crease...the pens do pretty much what they can for the most part, and trying to predict NHL reffing in such situations is like trying to predict the lottery.

You're 100% right, it wouldn't be legal, but I think I could count on my hands the number of times the Penguins have went on the power play this season from a net front penalty away from the puck. I think to - it's not fair to expect some of our guys to be able to do it, it's not their game. The teams that do have those types of guys, they make life far easier for their goalies than we do.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:39 am

Grunthy wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I'll say it again. After the Pens game I watched the Sharks/Ducks. This team can in no way, shape, or form keep up with the size and relentless attack either of those teams puts on the ice.

Might as well forfeit now.

Yep. I mean Anaheim beat us relentlessly this year, they were just gracious and gave us 2 victories.

And San Jose decided to be nice and take a 5-1 whoopin'.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:14 pm

From Mike Babcock about Letang's return in the Trib. Classy:

"I think the first thing is you have to be real excited for him and his family," Babcock said. "As much as we're all competing against one another, he's been a competitive, good player in this league and, when that happens, you're just cheering for him that he's going to get, No. 1, his family life back and, No. 2, his game back, which he loves."
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:43 pm

They beat the Ducks twice

1st time they beat their back up goalie who has played all of 5 games this year (30 total in the NHL in the last 3 years) and were outshot 28-27 pretty even.
2nd time they were outshot 31-17 and needed the SO to win

They beat the Sharks once and were out shot 45-30

Except for the first game against the Ducks which was pretty even against an inexperienced back up goalie the Pens were dominated in those games and got lucky.

Lets not act like the Pens accomplished something huge there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:They beat the Ducks twice

1st time they beat their back up goalie who has played all of 5 games this year (30 total in the NHL in the last 3 years) and were outshot 28-27 pretty even.

Except for the first game against the Ducks which was pretty even against an inexperienced back up goalie the Pens were dominated in those games and got lucky.

Yeah and we're all going to die and life has no purpose, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do we play the game? To get more shots than the other team? I think Herm Edwards knows why we play the game.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:57 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do we play the game? To get more shots than the other team? I think Herm Edwards knows why we play the game.

Bury your head in the sand all you want. The writing is on the wall. Hockey plays multiple 7 games series to take out the variance that a 1 game playoff has. The whole point of the larger sample size is to allow the better team to win without a fluke causing them to lose. The whole "That's why they play the games." applies to a much lesser degree in hockey than it does in football.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:

Bury your head in the sand all you want. The writing is on the wall. Hockey plays multiple 7 games series to take out the variance that a 1 game playoff has. The whole point of the larger sample size is to allow the better team to win without a fluke causing them to lose. The whole "That's why they play the games." applies to a much lesser degree in hockey than it does in football.

So in hockey, hockey players don't play to win the game? Why do they play hockey then?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:12 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody watches sports because they know the team with a 75% to win the series, wins. They watch to see the Red Sox make Derek Jeter cry in Game 7, 2004.

Yes this team has flaws, no this team is not the favorite to win, but the favorite is never going to be chosen over the field. The Penguins have been the favorites in the past, for all the good that's done them. Maybe someone will step up. Maybe they won't. Not much we can do about it now, is there?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Nothing a fan can ever do about it...i guess this website serves no purpose.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:25 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Yes this team has flaws, no this team is not the favorite to win, but the favorite is never going to be chosen over the field. The Penguins have been the favorites in the past, for all the good that's done them. Maybe someone will step up. Maybe they won't. Not much we can do about it now, is there?

Pretty much this. Did anyone expect the Canadians to beat us in '10 or the Flyers in '12? Or Boston to sweep us last year?

If Fleury gets hot then no one will beat us. Then again, if Fleury plays like he did last year then everyone can beat us.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Nothing a fan can ever do about it...i guess this website serves no purpose.

The purpose of this forum has nothing to do with the performance of the Pittsburgh Penguins. If you're just going to pout and claim this team is bad because it has flaws and offer nothing else to the discussion, I don't really see the purpose in that, no. We can debate for an eternity why this team hasn't won in the last 5 or 6 years, and I know it's been frustrating to be a fan of this team when the summer comes around, and the process of critiquing is healthy discussion, but there isn't much we can really do about it.

You can watch the games and find some enjoyment in it that you don't get somewhere else in your life, or you can cry because nothing is good enough and you think they should be winning Championships like the Miami Heat. Just my .02.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins