Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am

-Couldn't be more happy for Letang. He looked liked his normal self out there. Tremendous ovation from the fans. Good karma all around for a team in need of some.
-Letang's rush on JJ's goal is the one element that he brings which few others in the league can provide. Last night he seemed more prudent and judicious with his decision making. Lets hope that continues. Letang is a student of the game and works hard on and off the ice to improve. He also brings a competitive edge and confidence to the team, another element they are sorely needing.
-That said #58's failure in front led to the first goal and each of the Wings' goals was directly attributable to weak play around the crease. This has been noticed around the league and will be exploited when the games start to matter, regardless of the opponent. DB has steadfastly refused to address it, so we are left to assume that he is disco cool with it.

-More impressive than Neal's two goal outburst was the calm, steely demeanor he displayed. #18 was dialed in and focused and if he can stay in that place, look aht!

-DET may be more banged up than the Pens at this point. In addition to Zetterberg, they played without Ericsson, Cleary, Bertuzzi and Stephen Weiss is out for the year. That is a nice chunk of cap space on the shelf. Injuries would not be an excuse during a series with DET.

-Wow, does Babcock really, really want the Pens in the first round? Starting the mind games early, is he attempting to provoke the Pens into coming out like they do against Flyers or Bruins, trying to prove they can outhit and play tougher than the other side? That approach won't end well with this roster, even against the Wings.

-Stempniak and Kunitz were noticeable in the hitting game and Gibbons, again, found a way to contribute.

-upcoming Pens v Flyers; The game neither team wants to win??
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 961
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 am
Location: South Beach

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:38 am

Yeah I'm not seeing how MAF can be blamed for that goal...and I don't think you need to have played in goal to see that.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,851
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:39 am

Detroit could be called every single time a team rushes into their zone. The game is broken for them and for the officiating because they know and the officials know you can't call them all.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,767
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am

sil wrote:Yeah I'm not seeing how MAF can be blamed for that goal...and I don't think you need to have played in goal to see that.


Guess you can have either opinion.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/penguins-beat-red-wings-4-3-in-shootout-blue-jackets-move-into-top-wildcard-spot/64595/

. Marc Andre Fleury earned his 39th win of the season. He gave up an iffy third period goal with 1:15 left as the Penguins were holding a 3-2 lead but came up with some sensational saves in overtime and another one in the shootout on Daniel Alfredsson.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,194
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 am

tfrizz wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:- MAF really gave up a weak 3rd goal. I dont think he can be counted on to steal a series, but I hope he can steal at least a game or two.


Just curious. How is a shot going low blocker side that gets double-tipped (Martin then Sheahan) and knuckles up high glove a weak goal?


SHUT UP, FLEURY CAN'T BE TRUSTED
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,935
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:42 am

Well, I could also have the opinion that the ghost of Richard Nixon came down and deflected that puck past Fleury, but that doesn't mean it has one iota of truth to it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,851
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Yes, i have and probably longer than you.


Here is where you lost it. How can you have any idea how long I've played the position? What are you basing that on?

Also, if you've played as long as you claim to (which is, apparently, longer than me, however long that is), then you know that when a puck changes speed (or direction) it can be tough to make the save. Saying it was a soft goal must make you one HELUVA netminder. Have you considered a try out in the NHL?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:47 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
sil wrote:Yeah I'm not seeing how MAF can be blamed for that goal...and I don't think you need to have played in goal to see that.


Guess you can have either opinion.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/penguins-beat-red-wings-4-3-in-shootout-blue-jackets-move-into-top-wildcard-spot/64595/

. Marc Andre Fleury earned his 39th win of the season. He gave up an iffy third period goal with 1:15 left as the Penguins were holding a 3-2 lead but came up with some sensational saves in overtime and another one in the shootout on Daniel Alfredsson.


And then you quote an article written by THE INSIDER OF PITTSBURGH SPORTS to defend your opinion. C'mon dude! You're better than that!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 am

PensFanInDC wrote:You've never played in net before have you?


Are we all supposed to have played in net? This is kind of a ridiculous retort.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,604
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:52 am

lol, so your opinion is worth more? Instead of using his glove, he tried to body the shot. There was plenty of time to adjust, just poor technique.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,194
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

If the third goal Fleury gave up was bad, then so was the one Jokinen scored in the shootout. Sometimes the puck just bounces against you.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,891
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:56 am

If you think your opinion holds more weight than your online counterpart on a mesasge board, then I'm afraid that I have got some BAD NEWS.

Image
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,935
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby meow on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:56 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Yes, i have and probably longer than you.

I doubt you've ever played a single second in a competitive game if you are calling that a weak goal.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,011
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 am

wondermoose wrote:If the third goal Fleury gave up was bad, then so was the one Jokinen scored in the shootout. Sometimes the puck just bounces against you.


Not just that, the Jokinen goal in regulation was soft.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,194
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:58 am

None of us need to have played goal to see that puck changed direction pretty quick
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,604
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 am

meow wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Yes, i have and probably longer than you.

I doubt you've ever played a single second in a competitive game if you are calling that a weak goal.


I bet mine is bigger than yours.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,935
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 am

thehockeyguru wrote:lol, so your opinion is worth more? Instead of using his glove, he tried to body the shot. There was plenty of time to adjust, just poor technique.


No, my opinion is not worth more. My initial comment was to give context the the shot. I've played in net since I was a kid and I've seen a lot of shots like that. Sure, that might give me a better grasp on the situation than some.

As a matter of fact since you decided to chime in with the "and probably longer than you!" retort then it seems like you think that you're opinion is worth more. Have it it bro. You are now the official LGP goaltending guru.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby meow on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:00 am

Crankshaft wrote:
meow wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Yes, i have and probably longer than you.

I doubt you've ever played a single second in a competitive game if you are calling that a weak goal.


I bet mine is bigger than yours.

Don't make me prove you wrong. I'll do it.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,011
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:00 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
wondermoose wrote:If the third goal Fleury gave up was bad, then so was the one Jokinen scored in the shootout. Sometimes the puck just bounces against you.


Not just that, the Jokinen goal in regulation was soft.


Well, yeah. I just mean there are some instances where the puck finds a way. For instance, Gustavsson saw Jokinen fumbled the puck, attacked with the poke check, and the puck made like a magic loogie and found the net. How about the forwards that just let Kronwall's shot come in unchallenged with a minute to play? That's where my beef lays.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,891
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby indian on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:01 am

DelPen wrote:Maybe they are talking to the refs because Detroit interferes every single **** shift.


More like every single player all the time running subtle interference ... Have been doing it forever. Seahawks copied that model this year and were hugely successful.
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:01 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Yes, i have and probably longer than you.


Here is where you lost it. How can you have any idea how long I've played the position? What are you basing that on?

Also, if you've played as long as you claim to (which is, apparently, longer than me, however long that is), then you know that when a puck changes speed (or direction) it can be tough to make the save. Saying it was a soft goal must make you one HELUVA netminder. Have you considered a try out in the NHL?


I'm not sure where you get that I am a heck of goalie. All I am saying is if the pucks is deflected, changes speeds, and popped up in the air the right play isn't to throw your body at it. Maybe he makes the save with his glove, maybe he doesnt but he would have had a better chance if he had tried that. Its a split second decision, but it was still misplayed.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,194
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby count2infinity on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:03 am

i bet if fleury is in the right position to make the save on the deflection, and it wasn't deflected and went in, he'd be criticized for not being far enough out of the net to cut down the angle. And PFiDC, I've talked with you for a long time and not once had you ever mentioned playing net. THG has before, so I don't know why you're trying to make it look like you know what you're talking about because you played net.

point is...flukey goals are flukey. nothing really Fleury did wrong on that deflection. Could he have been a bit less erratic? sure, but he was erratic in the shootout save on Alfe and that worked out just fine and dandy.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,617
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Yes, i have and probably longer than you.


Here is where you lost it. How can you have any idea how long I've played the position? What are you basing that on?

Also, if you've played as long as you claim to (which is, apparently, longer than me, however long that is), then you know that when a puck changes speed (or direction) it can be tough to make the save. Saying it was a soft goal must make you one HELUVA netminder. Have you considered a try out in the NHL?


I'm not sure where you get that I am a heck of goalie. All I am saying is if the pucks is deflected, changes speeds, and popped up in the air the right play isn't to throw your body at it. Maybe he makes the save with his glove, maybe he doesnt but he would have had a better chance if he had tried that. Its a split second decision, but it was still misplayed.


Throwing his body as pucks has worked in the past.

Spoiler:
Image
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,891
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:06 am

count2infinity wrote:i bet if fleury is in the right position to make the save on the deflection, and it wasn't deflected and went in, he'd be criticized for not being far enough out of the net to cut down the angle. And PFiDC, I've talked with you for a long time and not once had you ever mentioned playing net. THG has before, so I don't know why you're trying to make it look like you know what you're talking about because you played net.

point is...flukey goals are flukey. nothing really Fleury did wrong on that deflection. Could he have been a bit less erratic? sure, but he was erratic in the shootout save on Alfe and that worked out just fine and dandy.


It was a fluke goal in the end, but i still think it was iffy given how he played it. There is no doubt Fleury is great when it comes to shootouts, but that doesnt count come playoffs.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,194
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby count2infinity on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:06 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
It was a fluke goal in the end, but i still think it was iffy given how he played it. There is no doubt Fleury is great when it comes to shootouts, but that doesnt count come playoffs.


It was a fluke goal in the end. Period.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,617
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail