Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 80 vs Wings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:09 am

- Maatta was not flashy, but looked decent and even laid out what might have been his biggest hit of the year
- Come playoff time, I think the Pens D will really toughen up... they have to, especially in front.
- All the injuries this year has really improved the Pens Depth. Megna & Malkin will both come back in with much needed speed.
- Likely the 2nd most points ever by a Pens team. Sure, some of it is shootouts, but c'mon man, 500+ man games lost. This team deserves some credit!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 am

wondermoose wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Yes, i have and probably longer than you.

Here is where you lost it. How can you have any idea how long I've played the position? What are you basing that on?

Also, if you've played as long as you claim to (which is, apparently, longer than me, however long that is), then you know that when a puck changes speed (or direction) it can be tough to make the save. Saying it was a soft goal must make you one HELUVA netminder. Have you considered a try out in the NHL?

I'm not sure where you get that I am a heck of goalie. All I am saying is if the pucks is deflected, changes speeds, and popped up in the air the right play isn't to throw your body at it. Maybe he makes the save with his glove, maybe he doesnt but he would have had a better chance if he had tried that. Its a split second decision, but it was still misplayed.

Throwing his body as pucks has worked in the past.

Spoiler:

How are the two shots in any way similar?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 am

None of you have ever played against fluke goals! At least not as long as I have... I played in a fluke goal league!
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby indian on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 am

Basic rule of successful management is " Good gets rewarded, bad gets discouraged". DB is failing at this by rewarding terrible slow players and discouraging good fast young players. No way Megna should sit while Adams/Pyatt play. No way Scuderi plays over Despres. We have the pieces to win this year but we won't. That is all on DB.....
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 am

For years now, the change up in baseball has become pretty much a useless pitch. Everyone knows that when something changes speed - it's super easy to recognize and hit. Hockey goalies are now jumping onto the train, hoping for a deflection that can change the speed of the puck - therefore making it easier to stop. Some goalies have even started to ask their defenseman to stop blocking shots, but instead deflect them - hoping that this changes their speed.

In all seriousness - there isn't one hockey person with credibility that looks at that 3rd goal last name and blames the goalie.
It's nonsense to even post/talk about it.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 am

- It is possible that HCDB is trying to allow Scuds to play his way out of a funk. Scuds was really good early in the year.
- The Scuds-Letang pairing never got a chance, but it has two more games to work the kinks out, or trouble looms
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stick_licker on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:17 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:For years now, the change up in baseball has become pretty much a useless pitch. Everyone knows that when something changes speed - it's super easy to recognize and hit. Hockey goalies are now jumping onto the train, hoping for a deflection that can change the speed of the puck - therefore making it easier to stop. Some goalies have even started to ask their defenseman to stop blocking shots, but instead deflect them - hoping that this changes their speed.

In all seriousness - there isn't one hockey person with credibility that looks at that 3rd goal last name and blames the goalie.
It's nonsense to even post/talk about it.

Ha, you had me going there for a second.
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:25 am

I thought Scuderi looked good with Letang last night. Made a few good plays.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am

thehockeyguru wrote:lol, so your opinion is worth more? Instead of using his glove, he tried to body the shot. There was plenty of time to adjust, just poor technique.

Who said anything about worth of opinions? Truth is truth and ignorance is ignorance (and also bliss).
Last edited by sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am

- It has become increasingly noticeable that everybody we play has a gameplan to hit/harass/bother Crosby and Malkin. Do we ever have a plan to make life difficult on the opposing team's star players? It gets old watching our star players have to battle through so much and other team's stars get a free ride. Obviously I'm not just talking about last night, I'm talking about all year. I guess we don't have the personnel to get in people's faces or agitate but I'd like to see the table's turned some day.

- Pyatt and Adams are too slow to get to loose pucks. When they are on the ice together the other team is basically being given a PP. Their shift in the 3rd period gave Detroit tons of momentum and turned the game around IMO. An pretty evenly played 3rd period turned into a shooting gallery/hornets nest after their shift.

- Neither Adams nor Pyatt would dress for any other playoff team in either Conference. The fact that they BOTH dress for our squad every night is a sad state of affairs. Engelland and Megna are both better options on a nightly basis.

- Adams will dress every night in the playoffs, guaranteed. Bylsma has promised to keep him in the lineup to help him continue his active games played streak. Helping Adams reach that personal goal seems to be more important than dressing the best possible lineup each night. Adams kills the 4th line. Pyatt and Adams together is the worst line in the NHL. With Bylsma's job on the line in Round 1 of the playoffs, it is utterly unimaginable that he's OK putting his job, his salary, his employment, his career on the line by refusing to dress the best 12 forwards each night.

- There is a huge thread dedicated to coaching and Bylsma's issues. Should #1 on the list be the fact that the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins refuses to dress the team's best possible lineup every night? Forget matchups, motivational issues, holding players accountable, systems, strategy, etc....the fact of the matter is that the Pens are at a disadvantage before the opening puck drop.

- Complaining about Pyatt and Adams is not nitpicking. Some say "he only plays on line 4" or "he won't decide the outcomes of games, it's all on Sid, Geno, etc..." You are wrong. Bylsma is seemingly OK with PUNTING or handing the other team a PP every time he puts our 4th line out on the ice. He is seemingly OK with 25% of our forward units being a complete drag on the rest of the team. How could this be? How could Shero not step in and demand change on line 4? Does the rest of the team/organization get Rings if Craig Adams sets a Penguin record with his consecutive games played streak? It seems like that goal is more important right now than putting the best 18 skaters on the ice. Maybe we can raise a banner when the season is over for Adams.

- My Adams "hate" is because his presence destroys the entire 4th line. If he didn't drag down an entire line with him, I could stomach him being in the lineup. He will absolutely drag down a Vitale/Megna/Gibbons - Goc - Adams line in the postseason all by himself. He'll also drag down an entire PK unit with failed clears and an inability to retrieve loose pucks.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:29 am

The U wrote:Do we ever have a plan to make life difficult on the opposing team's star players?

They tried to...but Mike Gillis got in the way.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:41 am

Penspal wrote:- It is possible that HCDB is trying to allow Scuds to play his way out of a funk. Scuds was really good early in the year.
- The Scuds-Letang pairing never got a chance, but it has two more games to work the kinks out, or trouble looms

Scuderi has been awful ever since his return. He has had plenty of time and has shown no sign of playing better. What is worse, he doesn't play hard, doesn't compete. Doesn't bring any passion, despite his comments.

The whole concept of Scuderi with Letang was to help calm down #58's game, have him stop trying to do too much and to have a steady, defensive presence.

Scuderi is so slow and weak that Letang will inevitably try to overcompensate and start running around, defeating the entire purpose.

Letang should be playing with Despres. We saw #58 calm down and play his best recently when paired with #47. In addition, Simon plays tough in the crease and the corners, skates better than Scuderi and is a much better puck mover. It's a no brainer, but #Bylsmagic.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:43 am

You have made your views about Scuderi abundantly clear...in several threads...CG, and while I understand where you're coming from, I honestly think you'll begin to see more merit in keeping him in the lineup once the game slows down a bit in...oh, about 5 days.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:47 am

The U wrote:- There is a huge thread dedicated to coaching and Bylsma's issues. Should #1 on the list be the fact that the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins refuses to dress the team's best possible lineup every night?

The best possible lineup according to whom?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49 am

sil wrote:You have made your views about Scuderi abundantly clear...in several threads...CG, and while I understand where you're coming from, I honestly think you'll begin to see more merit in keeping him in the lineup once the game slows down a bit in...oh, about 5 days.

Perhaps. He certainly wasn't this awful in LA, but there he had a team around him that was committed to defence. He was more protected playing in that style and thus more effective.

I just think that DB's acceptance of his horrid play has helped set a tone of soffness, especially in front of the net and that led directly to three goals last night.

Is Scuderi going to suddenly get a spine and man up in front of his own cage? I hope so, there is just precious little evidence to expect it to happen.

Regardless, it was the plan in July and DB, despite all evidence that has surfaced in the meantime, is goin with it.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:51 am

Gaucho wrote:
The U wrote:- There is a huge thread dedicated to coaching and Bylsma's issues. Should #1 on the list be the fact that the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins refuses to dress the team's best possible lineup every night?

what's the point of this question?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 am

Blysma moved Neal up to Crosby's line a few shifts last night and it seemed to work. Never thought I would consider it , but maybe think about leaving him there for the start of the playoffs. Crosby and Malkin's lines were nuetralized by Boston last year, so why not try a big first line that could set the tone and momentum for the other three? Put Bennett on Malkin's right wing and Stempniak on the left and you still have a solid second line.

Kunitz-Crosby-Neal
Stempniak-Malkin-Bennett
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna
Glass-Goc-Vitale
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 am

I will never understand why Detroit can make 'incidental' contact all over the ice and get away with it, to the extent that commentators are willing to say the Brooks Orpik's stick knocked Fleury over. Drives me wild.

Overall, a game Im glad we won, but they ran us pretty good in our own zone in the last 40 minutes of the game. A better offensive team wins in a big way.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:56 am

shmenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

And what's the point of this question?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 am

Has Crosby ever played to a whistle and then just skated to the bench without talking to an official?
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fast B on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 am

dodint wrote:Has Crosby ever played to a whistle and then just skated to the bench without talking to an official?

Yes.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Gaucho wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

And what's the point of this question?

well, it's pretty obvious he was referring to himself. and your post means, i take it, that he doesn't have the credibility to say such things. in which case we should probably just shut down the entire board outside the fairly objective jigsaw forum. the point of my question was to bring this to attention.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Scuds looked fine. Not worried if we play Detroit. 5 or 6 games at most.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Fast B wrote:
dodint wrote:Has Crosby ever played to a whistle and then just skated to the bench without talking to an official?

Yes.

So he knows how, then? That's a start.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Isn't it the captain's job to communicate with the refs?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins