outside view of the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

outside view of the Pens

Postby puckeye on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Portzline normally very neutral in his comments but thought would be of interest here....

But the Penguins ... they're seen by many as rather fragile. It starts with Fleury, who was benched last spring and never got it together again. The playoff doubts are going to haunt him until he proves otherwise. Also, the Penguins do not like getting hit. Neal, Orpik, these guys ... they lower the boom and take borderline shots, but when the tables are turned they have this expression of incredulity, as if the other guys aren't allowed to play that way. The Flyers have figured this out and just rattle their cage with no mercy. They would love to play the Pens in the first round. If the Blue Jackets don't play with a sense of awe, they've got a shot.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/con ... -chat.html
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: outside view of the Pens

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:29 pm

How many playoff wins do the Blue Jackets have? They're also restricting ticket sales to Ohio for a certain length of time, too.

But I don't disagree with anything he's saying. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:04 pm

If the Penguins can get themselves healthy and somehow manage to minimize Bylsma's idiocy, they could surprise a lot of people. Fleury does not concern me at this point. He'll be fine, barring a complete Michalek-Lovejoy-esque collapse of the defense.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Also, the Penguins do not like getting hit.

Stopped reading after this.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:31 pm

meow wrote:
Also, the Penguins do not like getting hit.

Stopped reading after this.

You got farther than I did. I stopped after the fragile comment. In the sense they've suffered a lot of injuries, I agree. But in any other sense, I do not. You don't win 51 games without some resolve. And the Blue Jackets aren't playing a style that would likely unravel a Penguins team.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:37 pm

the penguins (or at least the ones that matter) are definitely mentally fragile and act incredulous when they get hit.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby puckeye on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:How many playoff wins do the Blue Jackets have?

what difference does this make? he is reporting what the general media are saying. You could say the CBJ have made the playoffs every year they were in the East :o

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:They're also restricting ticket sales to Ohio for a certain length of time, too.

But I don't disagree with anything he's saying. :lol:

I think I heard they are restricting only till Tuesday. After that, they will happily take your money :shock:
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Wait, are people disagreeing with the article or agreeing? Because last I checked this team has melted down and lost all resolve when being hit and "picked on" during the last two playoff collapses. I don't enjoy saying it, but until proven otherwise this team is thin-skinned and fragile as they come.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:29 pm

The article seems pretty spot on. As far as "how many playoff wins do the Blue Jackets have"...

If the Blue Jackets don't play with a sense of awe,

Looks like the thing you were responding to directly addressed what you wanted to talk about before you brought it up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 pm

And Orpik just tries to injure people, don't forget that!
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:00 pm

It's not getting hit...

it's turning the puck over that turns this team into crap. The flyers know where the puck is going.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:02 pm

You get teams to turn the puck over by hitting and rattling them. Its the book on every team/player that doesnt respond well to physical play.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 am

I can't argue with that guys assesment to much. Neal more so that Orpik takes boarderline shots, Orps just won't drop the gloves, which i got no problem with. Fleury does have alot to prove until he can have a successful postseason. And finially the Flyers have figured to play vs us. Until Crosby and Malkin just play the game without getting mixed up in the Flyers games we won't beat them.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:21 am

wondermoose wrote:Wait, are people disagreeing with the article or agreeing? Because last I checked this team has melted down and lost all resolve when being hit and "picked on" during the last two playoff collapses. I don't enjoy saying it, but until proven otherwise this team is thin-skinned and fragile as they come.

Yeah, I don't really see how the article is inaccurate in any way. It's been the blueprint for beating this team.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:23 am

Teams that trap beat the Flyers every time. They drive them into fits. So what does coach Abysmal do? Implement the only style of game plan the Flyers can beat teams at, playing right into their hands. The Pens can score at will on Flyers goaltending, so it would behoove them to sit back and be patient, wait for the odd man rushes that those knuckle-draggers are sure to give up, and capitalize.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:34 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Teams that trap beat the Flyers every time. They drive them into fits. So what does coach Abysmal do? Implement the only style of game plan the Flyers can beat teams at, playing right into their hands. The Pens can score at will on Flyers goaltending, so it would behoove them to sit back and be patient, wait for the odd man rushes that those knuckle-draggers are sure to give up, and capitalize.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:39 am

Evident this guy is writing from limited knowledge:
Seven years ago, the Igloo would sit mostly empty most nights. It is fair to wonder what Pittsburgh would be as a hockey market if it hadn't had an incredible run of legenday players -- Lemieux, Jagr and now Crosby, Malkin.

Guys who know better would not even contemplate these two sentences.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:07 am

Idoit40fans wrote:You get teams to turn the puck over by hitting and rattling them. Its the book on every team/player that doesnt respond well to physical play.

I don't agree.

The islanders didn't outhit the penguins, they just skated hard and hounded them - taking away the places the penguins like to move the puck.
The flyers do the same thing, score a few goals of turnovers - and the penguins retaliate by turning the game physicial, which is not their strength.

It's like watching the flyers kill a penguin PP... they don't need to outhit them (not that they could down a man), they just take away the lanes and pressure the puck... and the penguins don't know what else to do.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:21 am

We turned the puck over a ton in our zone last game. Keystone Cops style in our end.

This team is going nowhere with Bylsma behind the bench. Not when he insists on having Adams, Pyatt, Glass, and Scuderi in the lineup everynight.

All the projected talk is for nothing until Bylsma is gone. He'll prove it again this spring.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:56 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Wait, are people disagreeing with the article or agreeing? Because last I checked this team has melted down and lost all resolve when being hit and "picked on" during the last two playoff collapses. I don't enjoy saying it, but until proven otherwise this team is thin-skinned and fragile as they come.

Yeah, I don't really see how the article is inaccurate in any way. It's been the blueprint for beating this team.

Pretty much, I can't believe that's even being debated.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 am

We're through the looking glass here people. White is black and black is white.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 am

Columbus is our only route to the 2nd round lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:22 am

The Penguins have potential issues, but I think it's kind of cute if the Blue jackets fan base is talking themselves into wanting to face the Pens. No doubt they have some grand scheme devised that they just chose not to reveal while going 0-5 this season.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby indian on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:20 pm

the wicked child wrote:The Penguins have potential issues, but I think it's kind of cute if the Blue jackets fan base is talking themselves into wanting to face the Pens. No doubt they have some grand scheme devised that they just chose not to reveal while going 0-5 this season.

We won all the regular season games against Boston last year ...
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:22 pm

The Blue Jackets are not the Bruins.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins